Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He'll be gone by the end of the year one way or another but it's not the manager's fault. We just genuinely having terrible players at almost every position.

How many managers do we have to go through before we realise the common denominator is these players?
We do not have terrible players in every position. Sorry, no.

Kane, Son, Deki, Richarlison, Bentancur, Bissouma, Skipp, Romero and Højbjerg are perfectly good players. Our attack and midfield are perfectly good.

Doherty Davies and Lenglet granted probably aren't Top 4 standard but they're reasonable, probably better if they were all bench options.

Sanchez, Dier and Emerson I'd happily never see ever again. But they should still be able to perform much better than they have been.

There's so much room for improvement but we don't have a terrible squad, it's performing much worse than the sum of its parts and something's just not working.

Conte really doesn't deserve the absolute slagging off he's getting from some people (that not he gives a damm) as he has definitely improved us over the year.

I don't want to see him sacked, nothing will change. Chopping and changing managers has never got us anywhere. I think after the World Cup will be the time to judge, also to get a few more players in January as clearly there are certain positions that need upgrading. It would help if this contract situation got sorted.

Who would people like to see as a manager? There isn't anyone any better out there. Managers need time, you can't expect Conte to change everything in 12 months and on a fucked up season like this one.

He just needs another 3 transfer windows and then he'll be able to coach a team to score in the first half of a football match.

I believe.

Next two rounds are due to be played before the middle of January. Is that right?? WTF.

Best not to be involved in this tournament.

Antonio knows…..

e94542f8-ebb0-47f8-aea8-50962b109cd3_text.gif

All I see are two options at this point... sack Conte or blow up the squad and spend 300m for a rebuild. But this in between shit isnt cutting it

Don't you not think Conte is gonna want the thick end of that 300m over the next " two or three" windows anyway?

Last edited:
He’s got the most prolific forward partnership in Premier League history at his disposal.

Let’s not pretend that elite managers can’t make a difference without buying all the players they want.
And so did all the other managers that failed. Its almost as though you need more than 2 players to have sufficient results. Outside of Kane and Kulusevski, our entire squad has no idea what technical ability is.

We cannot implement Conte's strict passing system because every time one of those players not named Kane or Deki touches the ball, it either takes them several touches to control, causing the oppo to get back into shape, or we try a one touch pass that goes directly back the other way.

It's not rocket science that we "only show up to play" after going down. Its because now teams can sit back and allow us to play.

What's the answer then mate?

Suck it up till the end of the season then bring in a more long term manager who wants to play football which belongs in the 21st Century and is willing to actually put young players on the pitch.

Painful rebuild time. Enough of these short term, defensive manager fixes.

I've noticed Davey that you love to move the goalposts! It's not football manager mate this is real life. You remember yeah that Doherty didn't look comfortable at all at LWB and hasn't pulled up any routes there?

You understand that Davies was a failing LB until moved to a system that got a lot more out of him?

Can you remember the shit show that was Dier at CB with just one CB next to him?

Even Lenglet has come with the reputation that he isn't best suited to playing with just two CB's.

Conte can already see all the issues you are seeing and trust me he will be telling Daniel Levy exactly what we need. It's well known that when he was first interviewing for the Job that he was brutally honest about the nature of our squad and what we need moving forward. The club consistently punches well above its weight in terms of financial backing and sadly that is starting to show.
what goalposts? doherty is a better option at LWB, for one hes an actual wing back and a decent footballer, he might not be comfortable there but neither is a scared little timid boy who offers us absolutely nothing.

yea davies is average, yep.

yea dier was a shit show with just one CB but hes also a shit show with 2, hes also playing in the middle of the 3 which means hes seeing far too much of the ball, last thing you want in football is shit footballers to be seeing a lot of the ball. also, when your club is riddled with shit CB's, in what world does it make sense to chuck as many as you can out there? surely it would be wiser to get more players on further forward.

this is not even speculation, we have had 20 games or whatever now proving all this.

i wanted conte to be the man too, love his passion and i like the system, but right now it doesnt make sense with the amount of donkeys we have at the back and in wingback positions. the RWB stuff, the bottling of dropping a passenger in son, the reluctance to make changes. these are all things that hes got well wrong and has no excuses for.

i half want to see him with better defenders and wing backs, but the emerson, son and poor use of the squad makes me question whether he deserves it anyway.

We do not have terrible players in every position. Sorry, no.

Kane, Son, Deki, Richarlison, Bentancur, Bissouma, Skipp, Romero and Højbjerg are perfectly good players. Our attack and midfield are perfectly good.

Doherty Davies and Lenglet granted probably aren't Top 4 standard but they're reasonable, probably better if they were all bench options.

Sanchez, Dier and Emerson I'd happily never see ever again. But they should still be able to perform much better than they have been.

There's so much room for improvement but we don't have a terrible squad, it's performing much worse than the sum of its parts and something's just not working.
Kane, Son, Deki, Richy, Bentancur, Bissouma and Romero are just fine. Skipp should be no where near that list. PEH is a solid enough squad option.

The rest are not good enough. We are hoping to challenge for trophies and possibly the league yet we want to claim that players like Doherty, Davies, Lenglet etc are good enough? They aren't Champo level or whatever some posters say but this is the problem. Doherty and Davies would fit right in with a mid table PL squad and no one would bat an eye.

We cannot keep trotting these players out expecting to contend with the big clubs around Europe. They have failed 4 managers now yet everyone wants to point out its the manager who cannot get them playing right.

What's the answer then mate?
I think the answer is the big rebuild we should have done after Mourinho. Lloris, Son, and probably Kane out as well as the donkeys (Emerson, Doc, Dier, Moura, Sanchez) and start again around a base of Romero, Bissouma, Bentancur, Kulusevski, Udogie, Richarlison, Skipp, Spence with a modern coach who plays good football that will be with us for a few seasons. Which coach i dont know but Eddie Howe has showed it doesnt have to be a 3 year process. Buy well and you can be competitive straight away.

Suck it up till the end of the season then bring in a more long term manager who wants to play football which belongs in the 21st Century and is willing to actually put young players on the pitch.

Painful rebuild time. Enough of these short term, defensive manager fixes.
How much do the Brighton board charge for consultancy fees you reckon?

Back
Top Bottom