Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Get back to me at the end of the season. I will give a you a gold star for maths if it turns out you were correct.

Why are you so desperately clinging on to end-of-season and whatnot.
This 9 games-run is already fact that will not be changed. During that we have MASSIVELY lost ground to our competitors. Before that ManU, Chelsea and Liverpool seemed to be in safe distance. Now they are breathing down our necks.

Why are you so desperately clinging on to end-of-season and whatnot.
This 9 games-run is already fact that will not be changed. During that we have MASSIVELY lost ground to our competitors. Before that ManU, Chelsea and Liverpool seemed to be in safe distance. Now they are breathing down our necks.

I'm not "desperately clinging" to anything, but isn't the end of season standings what's ultimately important?

I full expect form to fluctuate to varying degrees over the next 2 games; just like it did over the first 16.

Well I guess it is history

Conte has a record of winning things v Levy a record of not winning things . It kind of gives the impression one knows what he is doing and the other , not so much

Mourhino is finished in my opinion and I was glad to see him go , but he knicked a two bob trophy at Roma yet nothing working for Levy .

Redknapp won an FA cup with Portsmouth FFS

23 years and one Carling Cup , there is only one constant . Leicester were miles behind us but with great scouting won a league title and FA cup . Whichever way you cut it Levy had a massive advantage and a thirteen year head start on Leicester’s owners. Yes they now have problems because Covid has nuked the owners main business but they are in the History books winning the Prem
Of course it was not sustainable they are Leicester ffs , but Levy has had 23 years to put in place a team who could find a Mahrez , Kante, Vardy , Chillwell , Fofana , etc , they even turned a mega profit on Maguire .
Bale and Modric in 23 years one could throw in the mix , Bale was a well known rising star even if he didn’t show it at first , he was not a Mahrez or Kante type signing . Pleat who pre dates Levy was responsible for finding Dele

Not sure how anyone can look at ENIC and think they have done well for the club

Challenging for the title in January, Levy delivered Harry 36 year old New Zealand international Ryan Nelsen and a totally broken Saha on free transfers . What more proof do people need about a lack of ambition
🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅This has ended the debate about levy, ENIC and ambition (lack of) well said.

Few things -
1) Of course we should have focused much more on scouting team. For far to long we rested on the good signings that were Jan, Toby, Dele, Son. This has been in fact biggest failure of Levy - not enough resources for scouting team. Leicester example you brought out is good. They managed it better and they have squeezed out trophies in this window of opportunity when they could. Honest and objective.
2) Now talking about backing... can you precisely name what components did Poch squad lack in that same season when we went head-to-head with Leicester for title run? I cannot recall any major flaws. It was great squad. To me, it shows that from the time of signing Saha and Nelson some lessons were learned. Somehow we still did not get across the line. But platform was created to be in EPL title race, in CL final and League Cup final as well. Feels bit tall order for chairman to make tactical decisions to win those finals.
3) Talking about "done well for the club" - once more, I agree with scouting part. And also with part of sometimes putting more resources into market when things looked "almost there". But when we talk about our position as a club... tell me - how often were we even in Premier League title race? Or how often did we get into very last stages of CL or it's predecessors? I can answer that myself - we have finished in EPL places 2.-7. in 13 seasons in a row. That includes 1x7th finish and 2x6th finish, so from 10 out of 13 last seasons we have finished within top5 of EPL. Before ENIC era you would have to go back 12 years for such ranking.
I mean it is bit rich to blame for bottling EPL title race on chairman when getting into title race before current owners would have been wet dream in itself.

So, once more - I agree that ENIC could have done things better. Specially in recruitment and scouting side. There have been moments where management should have made this extra push and try to get something over the line. Lack of trophies is source of frustration for ALL OF US, make no mistake here.
But claiming like current ownership wouldn't have elevated clubs profile and position is totally off the mark.
Or to put it shorter - Spurs was not even close to take part in highest level competition before ENIC, during that time we reached the final. Sure - goals and aims are high and they have not been achieved.

I think a lot of the frustration is that we never seem to go that extra step to get over the line .We really should have done a Leicester we were about the next in line after the bigger clubs so when they underperformed we should have taken advantage.Like a lot of things when you get close its more of kick when you fall short .All the years we were miles off the top places never bothered me much as we were not involved .

To be fair Conte could be playing a blinder over this. Doesn’t sign a contract until he has 3-5 top quality players to fix the holes in the team, either that or he walks at the end of the season.

Either Conte is backed and ENIC have done their job or Conte walks and we can all see the lack of ambition from the club. It’s black and white for all to see. Even though Conte might be doing it selfishly fans should support this as if it does work and we do get a bunch of good players it will help Tottenham and if it doesn’t ENIC have nothing to hide behind anymore.

I think a lot of the frustration is that we never seem to go that extra step to get over the line .We really should have done a Leicester we were about the next in line after the bigger clubs so when they underperformed we should have taken advantage.Like a lot of things when you get close its more of kick when you fall short .All the years we were miles off the top places never bothered me much as we were not involved .

What do you mean we should have "done a Leicester"???? That wasn't planning/strategy or something they built towards...... They narrowly escaped relegation the season before and people laughed as Ranieri was a meme when they brought him in at the beginning of that season.

........We ourselves were only starting to get our shit together under Poch after his up and down 1st season.

No-one started that season expecting us to be involved in a title race.

We do have a gypsy's curse on us. We always seem to do the right things but never get the reward.

To be fair Conte could be playing a blinder over this. Doesn’t sign a contract until he has 3-5 top quality players to fix the holes in the team, either that or he walks at the end of the season.

Either Conte is backed and ENIC have done their job or Conte walks and we can all see the lack of ambition from the club. It’s black and white for all to see. Even though Conte might be doing it selfishly fans should support this as if it does work and we do get a bunch of good players it will help Tottenham and if it doesn’t ENIC have nothing to hide behind anymore.

I thought that was universally encouraged and accepted to be the case even before he joined.....???

Sadly; all those typically inclined repeatedly melt and piss their knickers at every turn and just make the process gruelling for the rest of us.

What do you mean we should have "done a Leicester"???? That wasn't planning/strategy or something they built towards...... They narrowly escaped relegation the season before and people laughed as Ranieri was a meme when they brought him in at the beginning of that season.

........We ourselves were only starting to get our shit together under Poch after his up and down 1st season.

No-one started that season expecting us to be involved in a title race.
Think we were better placed to do something ahead of them in a freak year as it turned out .They fully deserved it as we never put them under any real pressure as far as I can remember .Anyway its long gone now so I am not going to argue with anyone now its just my view we were ahead of them .

Think we were better placed to do something ahead of them in a freak year as it turned out .They fully deserved it as we never put them under any real pressure as far as I can remember .Anyway its long gone now so I am not going to argue with anyone now its just my view we were ahead of them .

1. You brought it up.

2. The perception of us being ahead of them is meaningless; once they suddenly 'exploded' out of nowhere.

Your post suggested that we didn't win that title because we lacked planning....... What planning should have taken place?

The standing at the end of the prior season:
HTcq7Q2.png

There's 4 teams ahead of us there that ought to have 'planned' better, no? Especially Arse (who only managed 2nd behind Leicester)..... 6, if one cares to question why Liverpool finished 8th the year Leicester won.

Fucking frustrating as hell that we didn't win it; but no idea what your criticism specifically is.

Kinda fed up of Conte tbh…

Mainly because his press conferences are an absolute snooze and often make very little sense

Pressers are a load of shit anyway.......

Nuno: Zzzzzzzzzzz
Jose: "Nooooooooooooo! He's slagged off Ndombele...... That's unacceptable!!!"
Poch: "Iz football......... Lemons........."

We stole the best player from 2 different EPL clubs in the summer.
We brought him a player with international pedigree that had success with him in previous club.
Plus we took some punts as well.
He was backed. Sure, 1 more player (CB/AM) would have been even better.

But there is no hiding from the fact - we are absolute shit compared to last season and currently on certain path to 7th-9th place finish.

One player does not know where other is. And we do not even turn up to games for first 45 minutes. We are burning in all fronts.
It is not about backing. It is about the dumpsterfire we see on the pitch. Half of the lads here could be managers if their 1st choice player would be purchased for every position, that is not what he is paid for.

And if you want to talk loser mentality, look no further than the guy picking lineups and presisting with RWB that has 0 attributes for his role or with LW who has scored 0 goals from 13 league starts this season and contributes little else. Look no further than the guy who keeps around players that play less than a game with first half of the season. Look no further than the manager who oversees his side scoring 0 goals from open play in 4 games, yet changes nothing. How is continuing like this "best chance" when you can see what Howe has done with similar budget, much lower starting point and similar resources ?!?

Baffles me how some see that one side cannot do any wrong and all of his mistakes are on someone else...
How are we on a certain path to finish 7th-9th place? At absolute worst, we’d be 7th.

Fuck me, people just chat whatever shit flies into their head nowadays… logic not required.

We do have a gypsy's curse on us. We always seem to do the right things but never get the reward.
Always feel like there is something behind the scenes that the club isn’t doing. Are they investing in media campaigns to get the right people on side? Are they putting enough pressure on for fixtures and officials?

We always have this virtue signalling high horse of being the club that are “good boys” for financial fair play and fair play on the pitch, then assume the league and media will be on side. Reality is prem and media machine want big spending sportswashing.

We’ve never been “in the club”.

the problem might be shifting players, but hes right you cant have a load of players loitering about picking up wages when they arent even going to be used, thats an awful way to run the club. we had to basically give dele away, no one wanted winks. gio and ndombele we hopefully will recoup 40% of what we paid... whos going to want sanchez and dier? the clubs that probably would take them are levels below and then the players think they are too good for that.

the problem might be shifting players, but hes right you cant have a load of players loitering about picking up wages when they arent even going to be used, thats an awful way to run the club. we had to basically give dele away, no one wanted winks. gio and ndombele we hopefully will recoup 40% of what we paid... whos going to want sanchez and dier? the clubs that probably would take them are levels below and then the players think they are too good for that.

Loans that is where we take a hit though. We could loan them out, but ideally you would want to sell.

Always feel like there is something behind the scenes that the club isn’t doing. Are they investing in media campaigns to get the right people on side? Are they putting enough pressure on for fixtures and officials?

We always have this virtue signalling high horse of being the club that are “good boys” for financial fair play and fair play on the pitch, then assume the league and media will be on side. Reality is prem and media machine want big spending sportswashing.

We’ve never been “in the club”.
I agree. One thing I was so pleased about with Mourinho was when he arrived he said "You are nice guys, but nice guys don't win matches"

Us fans always knew we don't invest in the darks arts, but unsuprisingly everyone else knew this too.

Loans that is where we take a hit though. We could loan them out, but ideally you would want to sell.
the loans expose them, look at dele. cant even last 30 mins in a fucking turkish game. sanchez is best off going back to dutch league probably. dier probably needs to get out of this country too.

How are we on a certain path to finish 7th-9th place? At absolute worst, we’d be 7th.

Fuck me, people just chat whatever shit flies into their head nowadays… logic not required.
One full season of our current form (9 games, 13 points, 1,44 ppg) ends up in 53 points per season. Which grants you fabulous 7th-10th place.

I agree. One thing I was so pleased about with Mourinho was when he arrived he said "You are nice guys, but nice guys don't win matches"

Us fans always knew we don't invest in the darks arts, but unsuprisingly everyone else knew this too.
Absolutely. The players are more up for it now and Conte already got a ban for putting up a fight but the club just tolerate getting screwed

Back
Top Bottom