Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No sense in wringing our hands over this. If we miss CL he’s gone and even if we do make CL it’s 50/50 imo. I’d argue he’s got a better squad this season than last so we shouldn’t be missing out on the top 4.

I’m pretty sure the biggest financial rewards, including resale value, would come for the owners if we were to be successful on the pitch - being “the top club” (PL or CL winners) would be a massive profit generator.
The biggest clubs in the world are the most successful, something that cannot be said of spurs.
The club has not not will ever be successful under ENIC, please for fucks sake sell the club.

No sense in wringing our hands over this. If we miss CL he’s gone and even if we do make CL it’s 50/50 imo. I’d argue he’s got a better squad this season than last so we shouldn’t be missing out on the top 4.
We got a poor fourth last year all the more reason to have upgraded our starting lineup but unfortunately that hasn't really happened .Other teams certainly improved their first eleven us only marginally and that could be debated .

we aint getting anywhere

seems conte knows too

Same old shit

This club is done for as long as ENIC are still here. The odd top 4 finish then “bbbb but we must follow our vision”. It happened with Poch, it’s happening now again and will happen with any manager who fancies having a chance at winning trophies with Tottenham. Don’t understand how some people can see it.

This strategy has failed us for like 7-8 years.

Sure. Good young players are great.

Still want ENIC to fuck off. I’m just done with them. I know they’re not going anywhere but they’re fucking useless.

Darwin Nunez will come good by the way. He’s an absolute handful.
Clearly make it up as they go along & fail each time. Need someone in charge who knows what they are doing & know what they want. Rather than saying one thing “attacking football” but then doing the opposite “hiring nuno” for example.

Conté knows the leverage he has with his contract and the club. He’s not going to let go. Levy hasn’t changed in the last 20 years and won’t change now.
Conté is still a good enough coach and has a good enough squad of big characters to get top 4 but it could also end in another Levy disaster.

We couldn't get Conte because we weren't able to match his needs. Showed us up for being a nothing club.

Now it's the wrong type of manager because Woolwich and Newcastle are doing well.

I may be narky but fcuk me j just want success.

We should be closer to that rag tag outfit and for sure Conte can do more with his resources but this isn't a straight line analysis.

Watch Arteta next season or Howe, even with his dirty fcuking backers probably struggle if they get into the CL and have to deal with all manner of expectation at club and country level.

16 effing games - shameful.

We need increased performance from players number one. If we can get a couple of quality additions as well then what's the issue?
Problem now is sport is over exaggerated either way. A player has a few good games & he is amazing. A few bad games & he is crap.
If a manager overachieves then the following season it’s most likely what wrong for said manager. Newcastle could get top 4 then next season he needs to get top 4 minimum or they have gone backwards. I think Woolwich will win the title but then city & others sort themselves out so next season Woolwich won’t be close. But they have cashed in at the right time. So for us it’s all about being ready to pounce when you get a weak season like this year where teams are in transation. Arteta can only go downhill if they win the title this season. But that’s another reason why you need to go for things when you are in the right position. We never do & the moment passes us by. My biggest criticism of enic & levy.
Ps. As you say Woolwich & Newcastle can just focus on the league. It’s a different problem with CL etc.

And what happens when the next manager fails and the next after that. It’s a merry go round of falling short. Sacking Conte fixes none of our underlying problems.
Agreed.
Sacking Conte does not solve all the problems.

There is lot of work to be done by any manager thzat comes after him.

But my hope is that next manager comes and stays for some time. And we can try to look to find players that suit this manager. Conte won't stay past 2 years anyway and in the long run we shouldn't bring in players to his specific demands.

Right now we have nothing - our results are poor, it is painful to watch most of the games, it is not getting better and specific part of the squad is alienated, others can be however shit but still are guaranteed to start. This is pure shit now.

Agreed.
Sacking Conte does not solve all the problems.

There is lot of work to be done by any manager thzat comes after him.

But my hope is that next manager comes and stays for some time. And we can try to look to find players that suit this manager. Conte won't stay past 2 years anyway and in the long run we shouldn't bring in players to his specific demands.

Right now we have nothing - our results are poor, it is painful to watch most of the games, it is not getting better and specific part of the squad is alienated, others can be however shit but still are guaranteed to start. This is pure shit now.
It’s not pure shit.

I’ve never seen a squad with more character than this. We keep giving up Fucking leads but then play better than any team in recent history with backs to the wall. After the fitness coach died these players and staff showed who they really are.

The club need to get their thumb out their arse and get the players in that can turn this group of characters into trophy winners. If they don’t, then we might be entering pure shit territory. But the reality is the team is just as close to winning things as it is being pure shit.

Would love to see a complete change of tactics and play the likes of a 4-2-3-1 every once in a while. Replace Dier in January and bring in a proper 10. Why the fuck not at this point.
Kane
Son———-Kulu———- Richy
Hojberg- Bentancur
Lenglet— Dier— Romero- Royal

Conte is a winner and needs backing, I want him to stay but I don’t think it’s the right fit for him

We have a losers mentality from board to players and the only way we snap out of that is getting lucky with a young manager like we almost did with Poch

We have the best chance with Conte but won’t spend the necessary money to see it through

It’s like getting an f1 driver in to drive your Mazda

We stole the best player from 2 different EPL clubs in the summer.
We brought him a player with international pedigree that had success with him in previous club.
Plus we took some punts as well.
He was backed. Sure, 1 more player (CB/AM) would have been even better.

But there is no hiding from the fact - we are absolute shit compared to last season and currently on certain path to 7th-9th place finish.

One player does not know where other is. And we do not even turn up to games for first 45 minutes. We are burning in all fronts.
It is not about backing. It is about the dumpsterfire we see on the pitch. Half of the lads here could be managers if their 1st choice player would be purchased for every position, that is not what he is paid for.

And if you want to talk loser mentality, look no further than the guy picking lineups and presisting with RWB that has 0 attributes for his role or with LW who has scored 0 goals from 13 league starts this season and contributes little else. Look no further than the guy who keeps around players that play less than a game with first half of the season. Look no further than the manager who oversees his side scoring 0 goals from open play in 4 games, yet changes nothing. How is continuing like this "best chance" when you can see what Howe has done with similar budget, much lower starting point and similar resources ?!?

Baffles me how some see that one side cannot do any wrong and all of his mistakes are on someone else...

We stole the best player from 2 different EPL clubs in the summer.
We brought him a player with international pedigree that had success with him in previous club.
Plus we took some punts as well.
He was backed. Sure, 1 more player (CB/AM) would have been even better.

But there is no hiding from the fact - we are absolute shit compared to last season and currently on certain path to 7th-9th place finish.

One player does not know where other is. And we do not even turn up to games for first 45 minutes. We are burning in all fronts.
It is not about backing. It is about the dumpsterfire we see on the pitch. Half of the lads here could be managers if their 1st choice player would be purchased for every position, that is not what he is paid for.

And if you want to talk loser mentality, look no further than the guy picking lineups and presisting with RWB that has 0 attributes for his role or with LW who has scored 0 goals from 13 league starts this season and contributes little else. Look no further than the guy who keeps around players that play less than a game with first half of the season. Look no further than the manager who oversees his side scoring 0 goals from open play in 4 games, yet changes nothing. How is continuing like this "best chance" when you can see what Howe has done with similar budget, much lower starting point and similar resources ?!?

Baffles me how some see that one side cannot do any wrong and all of his mistakes are on someone else...
I just want to remind you that last year we reached the 4th place because Woolwich suicided itself.
and we were eliminated from the conference league.
we are absolutely better than last season in terms of results, most of our difficulties are due to underperforming of key men like Son (and it's not a conte's problem, he was sh*t with korea too)

It’s not pure shit.

I’ve never seen a squad with more character than this. We keep giving up Fucking leads but then play better than any team in recent history with backs to the wall. After the fitness coach died these players and staff showed who they really are.

The club need to get their thumb out their arse and get the players in that can turn this group of characters into trophy winners. If they don’t, then we might be entering pure shit territory. But the reality is the team is just as close to winning things as it is being pure shit.

Oh yea, real character to jog around like little girls with no grit, passion and aggression...
Real character of having played Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool, ManU and come out with 1 draw, 3 losses and GD of 9:4... And guess what? ALL of the top teams will already go for kill during this time where we limp around. We can turn over some bottom half teams like Leeds and can fight back to level terms with Brendford. But if you want to be taken seriously, you have to compete full 90 minutes. If you shoot yourself in foot in start of marathon, you are fucking stupid not heroic.

We continue to be on 53 points per season trajectory for a while now. That is roughly 8th-10th place in past 5 years. To me, this is pure shit. Leaking 15 goals in 9 games is pure shit. Going 4 games without scoring from open play is pure shit. I don't know what standards you set for your beloved team ofc.

Only part I can agree to is the fact that losing our fitness coach in such tragic manner had to be shock to the squad and management team. One cannot be prepared for such outcomes.

I just want to remind you that last year we reached the 4th place because Woolwich suicided itself.
and we were eliminated from the conference league.
we are absolutely better than last season in terms of results, most of our difficulties are due to underperforming of key men like Son (and it's not a conte's problem, he was sh*t with korea too)

Oh yes it is Conte's problem.
If he was and is shit, maybe let's not start him in every fucking occasion? Has he considered this as an option?

Even watching us last season under Conte the football was hard to watch, this is a lot worst,
results wise if Son was in good form we would at least be more attacking (and thus not give away so many chances)
also think back to last season we were allowing teams to have lots of shots from outside of th box we have cut that out this season
we are not watching in training so don't know how thing look there, But I can't understand why Spence hasn't had more pitch time,

Same old shit

This club is done for as long as ENIC are still here. The odd top 4 finish then “bbbb but we must follow our vision”. It happened with Poch, it’s happening now again and will happen with any manager who fancies having a chance at winning trophies with Tottenham. Don’t understand how some people can see it.

This strategy has failed us for like 7-8 years.

I agree with you, don’t get me wrong, but conte’s comments ALWAYS get blown out of proportion and especially at an incendiary time like a transfer window (which we aren’t in yet). I suspect he means we won’t be signing another 33 year old like perisic on £180k a week for 2 years.

I mean, that’s alright isn’t it? I would much rather us go for good players in their mid 20s on manageable wages, who after being incentivised to perform well, can then be given a higher one in a couple of years time.

I would argue this doesnt actually sound like ENIC’s M.O. either. They like 19/20/12/22 year olds who can then grow in value and be moved on and/or paid a relatively low wage. It is more likely Paratici’s, which can only be a good thing. He knows that he needs to sign good players to perform right now to keep Conte happy and also help to keep his job moving forwards. Ultimately though it’s levy controlling the purse strings so really I suspect everyone is dancing to the beat of his drum (or just trying to avoid his dance floor).

Oh yea, real character to jog around like little girls with no grit, passion and aggression...
Real character of having played Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool, ManU and come out with 1 draw, 3 losses and GD of 9:4... And guess what? ALL of the top teams will already go for kill during this time where we limp around. We can turn over some bottom half teams like Leeds and can fight back to level terms with Brendford. But if you want to be taken seriously, you have to compete full 90 minutes. If you shoot yourself in foot in start of marathon, you are fucking stupid not heroic.

We continue to be on 53 points per season trajectory for a while now. That is roughly 8th-10th place in past 5 years. To me, this is pure shit. Leaking 15 goals in 9 games is pure shit. Going 4 games without scoring from open play is pure shit. I don't know what standards you set for your beloved team ofc.

Only part I can agree to is the fact that losing our fitness coach in such tragic manner had to be shock to the squad and management team. One cannot be prepared for such outcomes.

30 points from 16 matches = 71.2 point trajectory actually.

Back
Top Bottom