Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Always feel like there is something behind the scenes that the club isn’t doing. Are they investing in media campaigns to get the right people on side? Are they putting enough pressure on for fixtures and officials?

We always have this virtue signalling high horse of being the club that are “good boys” for financial fair play and fair play on the pitch, then assume the league and media will be on side. Reality is prem and media machine want big spending sportswashing.

We’ve never been “in the club”.

Who in the media should we effectively be bribing then?

Largely we're not 'in the club' because of who most of the journos, media media moguls and pundits support.......... Ex-Liverpool players as pundits = ratings..... Ditto Man U due to both their fanbases being the biggest. Media is full of goons.

Not sure I've seen us (by this; I assume you mean the club itself?) "virtue signalling" about being good boys on the pitch......... As for FFP........ Most clubs don't break FFP...... You're not meant to.... It's not done for image purposes.

Does any of this really relate to us more than it does Everton, Villa, Newcastle or anyone else who didn't have their feet under the table during the advent of Sky?

Who in the media should we effectively be bribing then?

Largely we're not 'in the club' because of who most of the journos, media media moguls and pundits support.......... Ex-Liverpool players as pundits = ratings..... Ditto Man U due to both their fanbases being the biggest. Media is full of goons.

Not sure I've seen us (by this; I assume you mean the club itself?) "virtue signalling" about being good boys on the pitch......... As for FFP........ Most clubs don't break FFP...... You're not meant to.... It's not done for image purposes.

Does any of this really relate to us more than it does Everton, Villa, Newcastle or anyone else who didn't have their feet under the table during the advent of Sky?
I’m saying politics and narratives impact results on the pitch.
Whatever it takes to get a seat at the table, get it done.

1. You brought it up.

2. The perception of us being ahead of them is meaningless; once they suddenly 'exploded' out of nowhere.

Your post suggested that we didn't win that title because we lacked planning....... What planning should have taken place?

The standing at the end of the prior season:
HTcq7Q2.png

There's 4 teams ahead of us there that ought to have 'planned' better, no? Especially Arse (who only managed 2nd behind Leicester)..... 6, if one cares to question why Liverpool finished 8th the year Leicester won.

Fucking frustrating as hell that we didn't win it; but no idea what your criticism specifically is.
Proberly didn't explain myself very well my frustration was the other sides in at the top underperformed for most of the season and we weren't able to take advantage . At the start of the season I expected more of the same and kind of thought we would in or around the same spot but when things got going I felt we had a chance if we could up it a bit .I foolishly as it turned out thought Leicester might fall away a bit .Still believe that a great chance was missed .

Proberly didn't explain myself very well my frustration was the other sides in at the top underperformed for most of the season and we weren't able to take advantage . At the start of the season I expected more of the same and kind of thought we would in or around the same spot but when things got going I felt we had a chance if we could up it a bit .I foolishly as it turned out thought Leicester might fall away a bit .Still believe that a great chance was missed .

Indeed, it was a great chance....... Truth is, Arse "wasted" more than we did that year..... We just made the cunts look a little better thanks to our horrow-show on the last day of the season.

I love this guy and hope we fully back him but this season has been slightly disappointing so far

With the squad we have would of thought we would be doing better, I know it's early but we have a team full of aggressive players and it doesn't seem it's being best used

the problem might be shifting players, but hes right you cant have a load of players loitering about picking up wages when they arent even going to be used, thats an awful way to run the club. we had to basically give dele away, no one wanted winks. gio and ndombele we hopefully will recoup 40% of what we paid... whos going to want sanchez and dier? the clubs that probably would take them are levels below and then the players think they are too good for that.
Plus if you have a load of players hanging around the 1st team that are obviously not wanted , that negativity is going to affect all players.

There are numerous organisations that handle PR and influence. Which is the right one? I’d have to research that

The P in PR stands for "public".......

Getting the old skool media machine on your side is a different proposition.

..........I'm more interested in who you think we'd need to buy off (cos let's be honest money is bound to be at the root of it).

The P in PR stands for "public".......

Getting the old skool media machine on your side is a different proposition.

..........I'm more interested in who you think we'd need to buy off (cos let's be honest money is bound to be at the root of it).
“Buy off” sounds a bit conspiracy theory. It’s much more pragmatic than that.
The Saudi and Qatari gov aren’t throwing several billion around and just hoping it works, they are covering ALL bases.

Whether that is social media influence campaigns or lobbying people in the right place, if that’s what it takes to get that final decisive advantage… If Spurs won’t do it, their competitors will.

Same goes for Sports medicine and sports science. It’s all part of the overall project to win.

One full season of our current form (9 games, 13 points, 1,44 ppg) ends up in 53 points per season. Which grants you fabulous 7th-10th place.
Not how it works. 9 games is not 38. You picked a starting point that’s convenient.

Last year under conte we had an 8 game stretch with 9 points (3-0-5). That’s 1.125 ppg, 43 point pace. We finished with 71.

There’s ups and downs all season. Want to take a bet that we won’t finish 7-9th?

“Buy off” sounds a bit conspiracy theory. It’s much more pragmatic than that.

I'm talking pragmatically too........ Ultimately the media is an huge, money spinning industry and you are talking about currying favour within the media; not winning the public over by means of the media.

....In ultra-simplistic terms; you want Sky TV to be nicer to us.

They won't do that unless it's in their interests.

The Saudi and Qatari gov aren’t throwing several billion around and just hoping it works, they are covering ALL bases.

No; but we're not an oil state government's global sports-washing operation and nor have a budget to match (that you guess at "billions") to get this done. The club itself is only valued at around 2bn!

Whether that is social media influence campaigns or lobbying people in the right place, if that’s what it takes to get that final decisive advantage… If Spurs won’t do it, their competitors will.

Perhaps the petro-clubs might (again see above); but as per my OG post Man U, Dippers & Arse aren't required to.....

Even then again; I strongly suspect it'd take far more encouragement than a bunch of twitter bots to get the Skys, Murdoch's etc. of this world to change how they focuss their cross-hairs.

Same goes for Sports medicine and sports science. It’s all part of the overall project to win.

Bit different really..... That's a far more tangible, material spend and stands to have far more tangible on-pitch benefit (sports psychologists please!!!) than countering any perceived anti-spurs media conspiracy our even just courting their approval.

However, we went all out on facilities and such, but many insist on seeing that as an ENIC profiteering strategy.

the problem might be shifting players, but hes right you cant have a load of players loitering about picking up wages when they arent even going to be used, thats an awful way to run the club. we had to basically give dele away, no one wanted winks. gio and ndombele we hopefully will recoup 40% of what we paid... whos going to want sanchez and dier? the clubs that probably would take them are levels below and then the players think they are too good for that.

This is the problem the bigger clubs in the league are going to face when they need to get rid of players who they no longer want since they will be on wages other clubs in different leagues just can't match. Even the average to good players are on eye watering amounts.

Players know they can just get loan deals to other clubs whilst still getting the same wage until there contracts run down

This is the problem the bigger clubs in the league are going to face when they need to get rid of players who they no longer want since they will be on wages other clubs in different leagues just can't match. Even the average to good players are on eye watering amounts.

Players know they can just get loan deals now to top clubs whilst still getting the same wage until there contracts run down
never affects chelsea for some reason

Players know they can just get loan deals to other clubs whilst still getting the same wage until there contracts run down
its all about running contracts down now aint it, the players hold all the cards. it needs to change really.

This is exactly the game GLC is playing in conjunction with Villareal.

Back
Top Bottom