Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not sure we can press high for sustained periods while we have the likes of Dier, Davies and Lenglet to call on at the back. None of them are fast enough to push up to the middle of the pitch for extended lengths. One ball over the top from the oppo and it's squeaky bum time.

And Kane, Son...neither of them are proper pressers. I don't think Kulu is either. Peresic and Royal? Not quite Rose and Walker levels of speed and aggression.

We don't have that 2017 squad that Poch had; the one that could prevent teams from getting out of their own half.

Our fundamental problem is our defence.

We have a world class defender who's brain has been focused elsewhere or has been injured.

We have a 2mph donkey who Cinderella'd into a magnificent steed last season only to revert back to being a 2mph donkey since he had his call up.

We have the remaining member of the Welsh mafia who is a loyal servant but not first team material.

We have a French mercenary who I actually quite like but, given his current situation, is unlikely to be really commited to the club.

We have Sanchez, a player who looks like someone's just stolen his cow and left him with a carton of powdered milk. A perpetually perplexed sprinter with fuck all brain.

And Tanganga, the Peter Pan of the Spurs defence, forever a kid in my mind and on the pitch.

Christ do we need to upgrade our defence.
Stolen his cow 😂😂

Well our fitness coach did die shortly before this strange run began, maybe that does have something to do with it.

If we are not ready to play when the referee blows the first whistle then something has to be wrong with our preparation.
Surely the squad should by now be in peak physical condition. They have had 2 pre seasons. Also don’t they always say the fitness levels are maintained through matches? The main physicsl work is done preseason. We have been slow prior to his death. Even last season in a lot of games. Name how many games have we come out of traps all guns blazing?

Surely the squad should by now be in peak physical condition. They have had 2 pre seasons. Also don’t they always say the fitness levels are maintained through matches? The main physicsl work is done preseason. We have been slow prior to his death. Even last season in a lot of games. Name how many games have we come out of traps all guns blazing?
We looked the fittest team in the league back end of last season. Wouldn’t be shocked if the plan was to peak after the World Cup. They have publicly said it’s being treated as 2 seasons. Conte is a world class coach, he well have a plan.

I know its likely just gossip but If Conte really doesnt want a centre back and wants Dier getting a new contract, plus wanting another very similar type of midfielder to what we have in droves is it really still back him at all costs? I mean we could do all that, finish outside the top 4 and him walk away anyway and what mess will that leave us in? This doesnt absolve ENIC in anyway but i'm having doubts. The style of football and amount of goals conceded isnt helping.

We looked the fittest team in the league back end of last season. Wouldn’t be shocked if the plan was to peak after the World Cup. They have publicly said it’s being treated as 2 seasons. Conte is a world class coach, he well have a plan.
He can plan all he likes.
The problem is, his plan includes a total lack of tools.
Or, probably more accurately, a bunch of utter tools.

I know its likely just gossip but If Conte really doesnt want a centre back and wants Dier getting a new contract, plus wanting another very similar type of midfielder to what we have in droves is it really still back him at all costs? I mean we could do all that, finish outside the top 4 and him walk away anyway and what mess will that leave us in? This doesnt absolve ENIC in anyway but i'm having doubts. The style of football and amount of goals conceded isnt helping.

Have to say, if any of that is true I would like to sit down with him and ask him what the fuck he's smoking.

I think that the biggest issue for Conte right now is that he has no pressing system.

I'm not expecting him to go full Poch or Klopp at their most rampant. But there needs to be some form of press. Otherwise you just allow the opposition to waltz right up to the defenders and put too much pressure on them.

I don't think that the sort of aggressive press that Poch ran is doable, That's for a young team that have limitless gas tanks. But you can play a more tactical press, box the opposition in, herd them out on the wings, force them to play harder passes that we can hopefully intercept. Similar to what our defence does when it works and forces the opponent to take shots from bad scoring opportunities.

I think that if we set a way to press, even if it is just at a mid tempo, our defence and overall performance will look better.
In football today you just have to press, just about all the best sides in the world incorporate it to some extent. Everyone knows it’s perfect for winning the ball back high up the pitch but I feel like you never hear how useful it is at keeping the urgency and intensity of a team high and we lack that with how passive the team plays at times.

As you said only a young team can run an aggressive press, as players who most (rightfully) criticise for their lack of pressing like Kane and Son used to do it more when they were younger. Of course tactics allowed for it more back then but still. It bothers me that now we have the 3rd oldest team in the league when between 2015 to 2017, we had the youngest team and those seasons are the best we’ve ever been in the Prem. As important as experience is, the club’s allowed the squad to get too old. Aside from talent Paratici’s main aim has to be to age the team down.

In football today you just have to press, just about all the best sides in the world incorporate it to some extent. Everyone knows it’s perfect for winning the ball back high up the pitch but I feel like you never hear how useful it is at keeping the urgency and intensity of a team high and we lack that with how passive the team plays at times.

As you said only a young team can run an aggressive press, as players who most (rightfully) criticise for their lack of pressing like Kane and Son used to do it more when they were younger. Of course tactics allowed for it more back then but still. It bothers me that now we have the 3rd oldest team in the league when between 2015 and 2017, we had the youngest team and those seasons are the best we’ve ever been in the Prem. As important as experience is, the club’s allowed the squad to get too old. Aside from talent Paratici’s main aim has to be to age the team down.

Yet you will still get people crying on here about us targeting younger players.

I really think on Conte, it depends what each Spurs fan wants.

I like his passion and his moodiness is fine with me. I do think that as a predominantly defensive-minded manager it's hard to understand how leaky we are and that is players to an extent but also down to what your manager or coaches instil.

Now he can't teach players how to play football but you implant your character and to an extent the fact we never give in and do fight back so often is proof of that.

I do think Conte should be doing a bit better but not sure what that means.

You can't account for the points Woolwich have amassed and how good Newcastle have been so far. City no issue.

We are however 4th and without having played that well.

Son has been average, defensively only Perisic has been good and we are yet to see much of Bissouma's quality, nor much of Richarlison. Kulusevski is now back, so we can but hope.

But even though we would clearly benefit from a couple of players in January, Conte needs to add more value, but he is what he is.

He just needs to be closer to his best self than we have seen this season or certainly since we played Woolwich.

As you said only a young team can run an aggressive press, as players who most (rightfully) criticise for their lack of pressing like Kane and Son used to do it more when they were younger. Of course tactics allowed for it more back then but still. It bothers me that now we have the 3rd oldest team in the league when between 2015 to 2017, we had the youngest team and those seasons are the best we’ve ever been in the Prem. As important as experience is, the club’s allowed the squad to get too old. Aside from talent Paratici’s main aim has to be to age the team down.

We won nothing with youngsters who pressed though.
Sure, we were better and came damn close. But is damn close enough?
If we're happy with 2nd or 3rd in the league and a few lost finals, then brilliant. If we want to have the nous to get over the line and win, I think we need neither the youngest nor the oldest squad.

This season them up the road have the youngest and smallest squad. Can you see them actually getting over the line once the ropey league starts dragging them down?
Around them is Southampton, Leeds and Brentford, none of those will be winning anything any time soon.

Slap bang in the middle of the list of average ages is Man City. A mix of youthful energy and older wisdom.

Absolve of what exactly?

.......If Conte gets what he asks for, fucks up and walks away that's on ENIC?

Seems like a stacked deck there.

I think its been discussed to oblivion but mistakes over the last few years, not least appointing win now managers clearly at odds with the way we prefer to operate.

ENIC's past mistakes are on ENIC; of course.... But you made it sound destinctly like Conte can fuck up and or screw us but it'd still be ENIC's fault.

...Which of course would be bogus.

I think its been discussed to oblivion but mistakes over the last few years, not least appointing win now managers clearly at odds with the way we prefer to operate.

The problem is the man at the top probably genuinely believes we have a squad fit for purpose and that a "win now" coach will do just that.
The "win now" coaches probably haven't seen enough of the direbolical, dity sanchez, Average Ben et al before they come to the club so probably also think this is the case.

And then they arrive....

Yet you will still get people crying on here about us targeting younger players.
One of the main reasons Fergie lasted for as long as he did was that he always knew one of the most important facts in football; never let a squad grow old together: Fergie would never let a squad grow old together: Gary Neville | Football News - Times of India

Sir Alex has even said of his biggest regrets is letting the defenders of his 94 side “grow old together” (sounds familiar) but he knew despite all the great years they’d given him, he had to let them go to continue to be good. Meanwhile here we are offering Dier a new deal. Different mindsets I guess.

The problem is the man at the top probably genuinely believes we have a squad fit for purpose and that a "win now" coach will do just that.
The "win now" coaches probably haven't seen enough of the direbolical, dity sanchez, Average Ben et al before they come to the club so probably also think this is the case.

And then they arrive....
100% the case for Mourinho. Pretty obvious Levy thought our squad was amazing and just need that winning touch. Wheras we all knew it had been on its last legs for 12 months at least.

Back
Top Bottom