Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stop conceding the first goal and attack aggressively from the off and things will be better. The Villa game is huge though in that respect. We need a good performance badly.

We can of course attack from the off, but how long can we sustain it ? If we had strong subs to refresh the tired legs it might be possible.
A 10 or 15 minute purple patch in a game can often put it to bed.
It's a great spectacle when a team excels and dominates but is it realistic for us ?
We were playing every 3 days with a limited squad, they can't play flat out for long periods in each game.

Scientifically how much energy can a player expend over a sustained busy schedule ?

We can of course attack from the off, but how long can we sustain it ? If we had strong subs to refresh the tired legs it might be possible.
A 10 or 15 minute purple patch in a game can often put it to bed.
It's a great spectacle when a team excels and dominates but is it realistic for us ?
We were playing every 3 days with a limited squad, they can't play flat out for long periods in each game.

Scientifically how much energy can a player expend over a sustained busy schedule ?

It is always easier to win a game from being ahead in it. That’s all I ask for, it certainly isn’t too much to ask.

I don’t mean to be Debbie downer, but I’m starting to lose faith with Conte and his ”system”.

we have bought players for 8 of the 10 outfield positions in the Conte system in the 12 months and with the exception of Spence they seem to be all Conte signings. Even if they were Paratici signings I’m sure he consulted Conte. The only 2 who haven’t been upgraded are Kane and Dier.

But Conte isn’t able to get a tune out of the team. This is not just Dier and RWB fault, this is a collective failure and that rests with the players bought, the coach, his tactics, his selection/subs/lack of rotation and his prep for gameday.

I hope things get better but if Things continue as they have been, I won’t be disappointed if Conte doesnt sign a new contract.

Who are the 8 players ?
Bentancur
Kulu
Forster (not outfield)
Bissouma
Richarlison
Spence
Perisic

That's 6 outfield players.
Richarlison has been injured for a chunk of this season.
Kulusevski has been injured for a big chunk of this season.
Bissouma has been in and out.
Forster is just a backup

So out of all of those Perisic is the only one who has played a lot and he's been one of our best players.

It's not all good in the hood. But not sure the reasons are what you think they are. The biggest issue by miles IMO is the defence has somehow survived multiple coaches.
You take away the ideocracy of our defence and we suddenly look a whole lot better.
I'm pretty sure Dire waters his plants with gatorade, put it that way.

It is always easier to win a game from being ahead in it. That’s all I ask for, it certainly isn’t too much to ask.

I think we need tempo in MF and Bents being out potentially for a few games ain't gonna help. Conte needs to fix this. Playing 2 MFs scares me each time and invariably we go down a goal predictably each time.

My view on what is happening is that there is a total lack of cohesion in the team.
The defence is completely untrustworthy.
The midfield are stuck in a void - do they support the defence or the attack?
The attack are isolated at the other end when the midfield help the defence, so they all drop back to try to get involved. Then they're getting the ball 40-50 yards from goal. Kane can't run with the ball, he's too slow with it, so he looks for the quick pass, but Sons off his game and Kulu isn't Usain Bolt.
At times there are too many bodies in midfield. At others there's no one there.

I can't see a way out of this until the defence is trustworthy.

Who are the 8 players ?
Bentancur
Kulu
Forster (not outfield)
Bissouma
Richarlison
Spence
Perisic

That's 6 outfield players.
Richarlison has been injured for a chunk of this season.
Kulusevski has been injured for a big chunk of this season.
Bissouma has been in and out.
Forster is just a backup

So out of all of those Perisic is the only one who has played a lot and he's been one of our best players.

It's not all good in the hood. But not sure the reasons are what you think they are. The biggest issue by miles IMO is the defence has somehow survived multiple coaches.
You take away the ideocracy of our defence and we suddenly look a whole lot better.
I'm pretty sure Dire waters his plants with gatorade, put it that way.

Bentancur
Kulu
Bissouma
Richarlison
Spence
Perisic
Lenglet
Romero (we paid for his perm under Conte so must be Conte approved)

2WB - 2CB - 2CM - 2forwards

As I said, Conte made it very clear that Spence was a club signing, so I expect he owns the other 7.

Since prime jan and Toby we have been given or used shite centre backs with the exception of that tourist Romero.
You cannot build anything with bad foundations. Enic , levy, conte … who ever are in charge of transfers are too stupid or stubborn to realise this and will not buy correctly .
Why’s the definition of insanity again……

Bentancur
Kulu
Bissouma
Richarlison
Spence
Perisic
Lenglet
Romero (we paid for his perm under Conte so must be Conte approved)

2WB - 2CB - 2CM - 2forwards

As I said, Conte made it very clear that Spence was a club signing, so I expect he owns the other 7.
He can't lay claim to Romero, he was already here a year and half of that was before Conte arrived. Sure he likely had a say in the final signing but I very much doubt we'd have sent the best CB we've got back either.
I left Lenglet out a loanee. Can't see him staying tbh.

I do think with a fully fit Bentancur, Kulu, Richarlison and Bissouma up to speed, the only problem left in the squad is defence. Conte, Paratici and Levy MUST accept Direbolical is a lost cause, and if he's the best of what we have (outside of Romero) then the rest need shooting and replacing too.

Some good questions in here. The second video is definitely worth a watch. It sounds like he wants to stay and sign a new contract but he ain’t doing it unless we back him with the players he wants. His mannerisms don’t give me much confidence we are going to do that.

My view on what is happening is that there is a total lack of cohesion in the team.
The defence is completely untrustworthy.
The midfield are stuck in a void - do they support the defence or the attack?
The attack are isolated at the other end when the midfield help the defence, so they all drop back to try to get involved. Then they're getting the ball 40-50 yards from goal. Kane can't run with the ball, he's too slow with it, so he looks for the quick pass, but Sons off his game and Kulu isn't Usain Bolt.
At times there are too many bodies in midfield. At others there's no one there.

I can't see a way out of this until the defence is trustworthy.
the defence is absolutely killing us, its been shite since toby and jan left. its majorly glaring now though. that and son are our biggest problems. get them 2 sorted and things will look so much better.

conte has not helped by playing emerson as much as he has, playing utter shit like that eventually drags other players down into poor ruts of form, they aint robots, having such an incompetent teammate grinds you down.

the defence is absolutely killing us, its been shite since toby and jan left. its majorly glaring now though. that and son are our biggest problems. get them 2 sorted and things will look so much better.

conte has not helped by playing emerson as much as he has, playing utter shit like that eventually drags other players down into poor ruts of form, they aint robots, having such an incompetent teammate grinds you down.
Our problem is 100% our defence. People are moaning about us being shit this season - well we're scoring plenty of goals. Sonny is off form that's true but Kane is world class - give him bullets and he will fire. And I think we will see a lot more from Richy.

If Conte is backed properly and buys top defenders I think we'll be a good outfit again, not that I'm wild about his style of play. All a question of whether he gets proper support imho because he definitely does not have the players to play his system as it stands.

Verts before his legs went was a leader, a true leader at the back and Toby before his legs went was a monster. Toby and Verts next to Romero would be perfect.

It's all set up for poch returning, he will accept younger players foisted on him.
This will be mutually beneficial to both parties, what is the point having one of the world's best managers when you can hire a stooge instead. 👍

Verts before his legs went was a leader, a true leader at the back and Toby before his legs went was a monster. Toby and Verts next to Romero would be perfect.

Vert was SO good; it makes you wonder how much he'd cost in today's market... Especially when you think the likes of De Light, Upamecao and a few other hot, big money CBs have stumbled since.

Vert was SO good; it makes you wonder how much he'd cost in today's market... Especially when you think the likes of De Light, Upamecao and a few other hot, big money CBs have stumbled since.

Verts was Romero but with leadership qualities. At his peak better than any current Prem defender. He could have gone to Barca in 2014 but turned them down. That to me is legend status.

Verts was Romero but with leadership qualities. At his peak better than any current Prem defender. He could have gone to Barca in 2014 but turned them down. That to me is legend status.

Smarter & better temperament. Vert was stone cold.

I don’t mean to be Debbie downer, but I’m starting to lose faith with Conte and his ”system”.

we have bought players for 8 of the 10 outfield positions in the Conte system in the 12 months and with the exception of Spence they seem to be all Conte signings. Even if they were Paratici signings I’m sure he consulted Conte. The only 2 who haven’t been upgraded are Kane and Dier.

But Conte isn’t able to get a tune out of the team. This is not just Dier and RWB fault, this is a collective failure and that rests with the players bought, the coach, his tactics, his selection/subs/lack of rotation and his prep for gameday.

I hope things get better but if Things continue as they have been, I won’t be disappointed if Conte doesnt sign a new contract.
Yep. For all the justifiable grumbles elsewhere (which are more than valid whoever is manager) i'm really losing faith which is a shame because i thought he did an amazing job turning us around last season. I'm at the stage where i dont really want him to sign a new contract as think the football this season has been turgid. For all our weaknessess at the back our general play has no structure. I hope that changes and we start playing like we did in the spring but starting to have my doubts whether it will. A couple of bad results in January and i can see something happening. No idea what or whether it might be Conte or ENIC related but something feels really volatile at the moment.

Last edited:
corrr that would of been a dream back 3. just hope they get the 2 CB recruits bang on like they did romero. the football is going to be so much better then.

Back
Top Bottom