Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Based on the comments from Conte it seems to me like Levy and the club have no intention of aiming for silverware.

Why hire a manager like Conte if you are going to stick to this "long term vision" of building with youth players?

It makes ZERO sense to me, Conte has never been that type of manager, never been a long term hire, utterly pointless.

It seems to me like Conte was just a flashy hire to make it seem like the owners were going for glory to try and curb the unease and pressure that was building up after the Nuno hire.

Verts before his legs went was a leader, a true leader at the back and Toby before his legs went was a monster. Toby and Verts next to Romero would be perfect.
you know whats funny, i remember when you could visibly see vert was upset as he knew he couldn't hack it in the prem anymore i cant remember what game it was? but he went off by the goal and walked round the pitch and you could tell it was the end for him....dier and sanchez must be fucking deluded! them at their best couldnt lace verts worst pair of boots up.

Based on the comments from Conte it seems to me like Levy and the club have no intention of aiming for silverware.

Why hire a manager like Conte if you are going to stick to this "long term vision" of building with youth players?

It makes ZERO sense to me, Conte has never been that type of manager, never been a long term hire, utterly pointless.

It seems to me like Conte was just a flashy hire to make it seem like the owners were going for glory to try and curb the unease and pressure that was building up after the Nuno hire.
It's more of a shock to me that this has all just occurred to you. No offense intended. But it was obvious when they hired Jose and then Conte. It was to associate to a big name, but also to bring in managers that have a proven record of improving players. So it was always to get the best out of what we got with the vision of youth for long term being at the forefront. I don't see any issue with doing that but at the same time., Get ready made players in now. The likes of kane may be unearthed again but unlikely. Give them quality to learn from instead. Mix up youth and quality. Very strange from the owners or maybe not. They've made shitloads, they are businessmen

Nuno's a red-herring..... We tried to sign Conte before him.

If anything, he was just a place-holder.

Based on the comments in those videos I would say there’s zero chance of him staying. He was just being polite as he knows there’s no point staying with us because there’s zero intention to push on.

ENIC are starting to get found out, hopefully these cunts won't be around for much longer.

He can't lay claim to Romero, he was already here a year and half of that was before Conte arrived. Sure he likely had a say in the final signing but I very much doubt we'd have sent the best CB we've got back either.
I left Lenglet out a loanee. Can't see him staying tbh.

I do think with a fully fit Bentancur, Kulu, Richarlison and Bissouma up to speed, the only problem left in the squad is defence. Conte, Paratici and Levy MUST accept Direbolical is a lost cause, and if he's the best of what we have (outside of Romero) then the rest need shooting and replacing too.
It may be inconsequential to the overall discussion but Romero had been here 3 months before Conte joined.

my point still stands that we have signed 8 players since Conte has been with us and the only one that is not with his wishes is Spence. So 7 outfield players are his signings or with his approval. The only areas not upgraded are Dier and RWB if we accept that Kane is not upgradeable.

The fact he can’t get a tune from a team of 10 outfield players where only two he has inherited is a worry. I worry that football has moved on from his rigid tactics. With only one way to play we may be easy for other teams to set up against.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope whatever we do in this window is the magic key for unlocking things. But if he can’t turn things around soon I won’t be too sad if he doesn’t sign a new contract.

Based on the comments in those videos I would say there’s zero chance of him staying. He was just being polite as he knows there’s no point staying with us because there’s zero intention to push on.

Then let him go.

It's getting boring.

Does anyone really think we should compete with the dirty oil such clubs,?

Is Conte not supposed to add value for 15 million a year or do we have to buy the very best players, whoever they may be?

Absolute sh!t all of this. If Conte wants a to stay great. If he won't commit fcuk him.

Then let him go.

It's getting boring.

Is Conte not supposed to add value for 15 million a year or do we have to buy the very best players, whoever they may be?

Absolute sh!t all of this. If Conte wants a to stay great. If he won't commit fcuk him.

But if he won’t commit and it is obviously because the club won’t help him to make us a success then it is a good thing that he’s making this obvious to the wider world. The only problem is that it means other managers won’t touch us with a shitty stick.

Then let him go.

It's getting boring.

And there we go, blaming it all on Conte. Wake up and smell the coffee mate. This isn’t Conte and him not committing. This is him basically saying he only can take us as far as he can with what those rancid cunts Levy and ENIC can offer in terms of backing. When are people going to finally wake up and realise the managers ain’t the problem here, it’s the fucking owners and Levy. Bunch of cunts need outing ASAP and I’m so glad the fans are turning. #LevyOut #EnicOut

And there we go, blaming it all on Conte. Wake up and smell the coffee mate. This isn’t Conte and him not committing. This is him basically saying he only can take us as far as he can with what those rancid cunts Levy and ENIC can offer in terms of backing. When are people going to finally wake up and realise the managers ain’t the problem here, it’s the fucking owners and Levy. Bunch of cunts need outing ASAP and I’m so glad the fans are turning. #LevyOut #EnicOut

Who is blaming it all on Conte?

I have been very consistent. He can't be expected to perform miracles but he should not be presiding over a team that has conceded the first goal in 9 successive games or whatever it is.

Now please tell me if you truly believe that is just down to Levy/ENIC?

Conte needs to do better with the tools he has at his disposal which is not the same as saying we don't need additions.

The question I had of ENIC from Day 1 on this is why hire a manager like Conte after Levy giving it such big licks after the awfulness of Mourinho and Nuno that the club was returning to its traditions and roots of good attacking and positive football.

I have been very consistent. He can't be expected to perform miracles but he should not be presiding over a team that has conceded the first goal in 9 successive games or whatever it is.

Conte needs to do better with the tools he has at his disposal which is not the same as saying we don't need additions.

Conte got us Top 4 with that shit heap defence. He hasn’t been backed in improving that defence, so that falls down to Levy and ENIC. Some unproven championship RWB and Lenglet on loan isn’t backing. It’s the cheap ass Levy option that gets us nowhere

He got us top 4 and into our best Prem start in years. The squad is what’s it is though.
Conte telling it like it is and keeping his v leverage by not signing a contract means Kane also won’t sign. Finally the team and the fans have the leverage to squeeze Levy by the balls.
If Conte and Kane walk, the buck stops at the top. The team had a rough stretch of conceding but also found character against adversity. Most will think I’m mad but to me we are probably closer to actually winning than we have been in years.

He got us top 4 and into our best Prem start in years. The squad is what’s it is though.
Conte telling it like it is and keeping his v leverage by not signing a contract means Kane also won’t sign. Finally the team and the fans have the leverage to squeeze Levy by the balls.
If Conte and Kane walk, the buck stops at the top. The team had a rough stretch of conceding but also found character against adversity. Most will think I’m mad but to me we are probably closer to actually winning than we have been in years.

Interesting take mate. Fair and well reasoned points. Not saying I completely agree but thought provoking for sure. .

I think the poor form we've seen this season is a combination of:
  • Conte not being the best manager when playing every 3 days. Look at our form from March onwards last season when we only had weekend league games to focus on.
  • Disruptive injuries to key players (Kulusevski, Romero - neither we have adequate cover for).
  • Loss of form of Son - he is a key, world class player, a "match-winner", and he has been really terrible.
  • Squad building / refresh still in-progress.
The fact that we're still in the race for the top 4 and in the CL knockout stages is incredible really.

Surely there can’t be a single fan left who can’t agree with that now?

No real surprise, when anyone goes for a new job they talk to 'the boss' about what is expected, what support they get etc.

Conte merely confirming he knew the club's preference was for younger players, so he can't complain if DoF buys those - that's his job and manager expects that

There is obviously some give and take as in any good situation - Perisic comes to mind, recruited despite being aged 33.

On the other hand the other players Paritici has brought in during Conte's reign have a reasonable amount of experience and probably average about age 24 so not unreasonably young. Spence seems to tick most of the boxes as a RWB but for whatever reason Conte doesn't agree with Paritici's choice, although in some interviews Conte seems to be saying he's a good prospect. Disagreeing about one player in eight or nine coming in is probably par for the course.

Spurs have been a little unlucky with injuries this season (Richarlison out fir a month before World Cup and a month after), Son injured before World Cup as was Kulusevski, and some uncertainty now on Bentancur, Bissouma out for first half season after contracting Covid on club preseason tour etc. No professional manager is going to like injuries, but they will recognise its a risk of the job....... and his job is to make the best of the injury situation.

Managers will feel the pressure of the job, especially as exerted by fans :

But other maybe than pressure from fans, I'm not sure Conte will have found Spurs too different a job to that he signed up for - he could see the squad he inherited and he knew the transfer plans - unless he's finding his tactics are now not working as they used to. And if that's the case maybe time for both Conte and Spurs to move on ..... but I don't see either side pushing for that atm.

Back
Top Bottom