Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

100% the case for Mourinho. Pretty obvious Levy thought our squad was amazing and just need that winning touch. Wheras we all knew it had been on its last legs for 12 months at least.
The problem is, not much has really changed.
Still got Dire, still got Sanchez, still got Davies, still got Sessegnon, still got Rodon (he's coming back) still got Tanganga,
In addition, since Mourinho, I'd say other players have declined. Lloris and Son in varying degrees. Kane is still scoring but I feel is affecting games less as he can't move as much as he did when he was 25-26.

It's scary we've gone from the best defence I've ever seen to one where the only half decent defender we have looks nonplussed about even being in the country most of the time.

None of them should be getting a new contract, full stop. We cannot have them here past this season.

I know its likely just gossip but If Conte really doesnt want a centre back and wants Dier getting a new contract, plus wanting another very similar type of midfielder to what we have in droves is it really still back him at all costs? I mean we could do all that, finish outside the top 4 and him walk away anyway and what mess will that leave us in? This doesnt absolve ENIC in anyway but i'm having doubts. The style of football and amount of goals conceded isnt helping.
It’s almost like his taking the piss. If he wants to stay long term or for even one more year surely he should know what we need as priority? Quality CB and FB/RWB plus a number 10 and back CF. We all know it so he must see that as well. Or dues he not give a fuck? He still picks his £15M and he can blame levy that he wasn’t backed. However he would look a lier as if his quoted as saying we don’t need a CB. Do t get the CM as well. Please just give skipp white and Sarr some more minutes. He could have put any of them on v Brentford but he choose not to. Don’t understand what his thinking is tbh!

The problem is the man at the top probably genuinely believes we have a squad fit for purpose and that a "win now" coach will do just that.
The "win now" coaches probably haven't seen enough of the direbolical, dity sanchez, Average Ben et al before they come to the club so probably also think this is the case.

And then they arrive....
And that coach thinks we don’t need any CBs?

One of the main reasons Fergie lasted for as long as he did was that he always knew one of the most important facts in football; never let a squad grow old together: Fergie would never let a squad grow old together: Gary Neville | Football News - Times of India

Sir Alex has even said of his biggest regrets is letting the defenders of his 94 side “grow old together” (sounds familiar) but he knew despite all the great years they’d given him, he had to let them go to continue to be good. Meanwhile here we are offering Dier a new deal. Different mindsets I guess.
And watching Sonny flounce around with his golden boot and number 7 face mask (wtf you absolute childish twat)

More than any tactical issue we are simply lacking intensity. The players have shown with the comebacks that they can play with guts so why aren’t they doing it from the first whistle?

This has been an issue for a long time, it started way back towards the end of the Poch era. Even our legendary Ajax semi-final was very similar to what we are seeing now.

Conte, Deki and Doherty said after the game that they had focused on starting well in their pre-match preparation but they couldn’t deliver it. At the end of the day it’s down to the players on the grass to change it.
The friendlies during the world cup had decent intensity for the full 90 as well. So is the issue among the world cup players?

This is a tricky problem to solve. Because it could mean getting rid of some old favourites.

Last edited:
The problem is the man at the top probably genuinely believes we have a squad fit for purpose and that a "win now" coach will do just that.
The "win now" coaches probably haven't seen enough of the direbolical, dity sanchez, Average Ben et al before they come to the club so probably also think this is the case.

And then they arrive....

Mourinho fell into this trap 100%

Conte probably thought he could get more out of the group and did at the start but they all soon fall back into their safety zone. We made the facilities so nice for them at the training ground and stadium that they’ve become too pampered if you ask me.

No they were like that pre wc.
I think that you are misunderstanding my point.

The players that stayed behind for the world cup played with a decent intensity in both friendlies that we could see. And now that the world cup players are back we are back to playing with disjointed intensity.

This brings up the question that it may be among our "top" players that the intensity issue lies. If one of our bigger names doesn't take a game seriously and plays at half pace then that can and will spread to the rest.

Because after all, it is not up to the bench or backup players to set the standard, but to the stars.

We looked the fittest team in the league back end of last season. Wouldn’t be shocked if the plan was to peak after the World Cup. They have publicly said it’s being treated as 2 seasons. Conte is a world class coach, he well have a plan.

What is the plan?
To purposefully try to snooze the opposition by let them score goals for fun before we start playing?

Does that seem like a plan to you?
I feel that we either sleep or panic. Neither are plans, more like something that just "happen".

The problem is, not much has really changed.
Still got Dire, still got Sanchez, still got Davies, still got Sessegnon, still got Rodon (he's coming back) still got Tanganga,
In addition, since Mourinho, I'd say other players have declined. Lloris and Son in varying degrees. Kane is still scoring but I feel is affecting games less as he can't move as much as he did when he was 25-26.

It's scary we've gone from the best defence I've ever seen to one where the only half decent defender we have looks nonplussed about even being in the country most of the time.

None of them should be getting a new contract, full stop. We cannot have them here past this season.

What agenda are you pushing now?
Talk was about Mou area and squad needing some tweaks, but you say "still got Tanganga"... he was academy player and Mou was very one giving his debut. You say we "still got" Rodon ... who was brought while Mou was here. So it is hardly like we "still" have them from time before Mou.

Also I assume you understand yourself very well that "none of them should be getting a new contract" - it is just not how it works. It is so fucking obvious that repeating it becomes really dull. For example Davies has done little wrong - no team consist of 25 superstars. Davies for example has been dependable servant and role model professional. Pretty fucking obvious he is not going everywhere.

I agree that we should end the experiment with Rodon, Tanganga is not good enough and we should be also looking to sell Sanchez and most likely Sess. More important is to bring in new faces. At least one CB should be brought in January. To LB we brought Perisic for 2 years and Udogie starting from next season.

It has been talked to, but I somehow only now realized to what extent this is true - I have a feeling that Conte really fetishes tall players.

If I use lineup of Lloris; Romero, Dier, Davies; Doherty, Perisic; Bentancur,PEH; Kulu, Kane, Sonny then the average height of them is 185,7 cm. That is pretty fcking tall.

In terms of RWB does not matter who to use, Doherty, Spence and Royal are all pretty much the same height. But if I put Lenglet in for Davies, average increases further to 186,2 cm.

There are no players under 180 cm, if Davies is in, his 181 cm is shortest and next in line is Sonny with 184 cm.

I am not saying that the correlation is too big between the two numbers, but I feel that we are slow to turn and pass. And then when I think short and quick players such as Edwards, Modric, Kante... they have this sharpness with them. Maybe we should not build the tallest and mightiest lineups at all costs?

That was not an easy fixture and we were missing several important players. We were not outplayed over the 90 mins and had more possession. However to continue conceding the first goal and in this game first 2 goals was more than disappointing and in the first hour we never looked like scoring. Why is it happening? It has to have something to do with the mental side of the game. Possibly fear installed by Conte that the players try and play safe and achieve the opposite.
Whether we should play 2 or 3 in midfield is an issue and both have worked and failed. I think we are too predictable. Everyone knows how we play and we must be more flexible and play 2 in midfield sometimes and 3 others.
It was not a disaster and with Lloris, Romero & Bentencur hopefully due back that will make a big difference. We need a couple of additions in January and it worries me when linked to Midfielders when the need is greater in the back 5. Last January the 2 newcomers played immediately but that did not happen in the summer. We need Conte to play anyone bought straight away as too many are not performing and it is not as if we are on a winning run.
Conte has not performed as well this season as the end of last season but we must back him as he is more likely to come good than try and get someone else.

It has been talked to, but I somehow only now realized to what extent this is true - I have a feeling that Conte really fetishes tall players.

If I use lineup of Lloris; Romero, Dier, Davies; Doherty, Perisic; Bentancur,PEH; Kulu, Kane, Sonny then the average height of them is 185,7 cm. That is pretty fcking tall.

In terms of RWB does not matter who to use, Doherty, Spence and Royal are all pretty much the same height. But if I put Lenglet in for Davies, average increases further to 186,2 cm.

There are no players under 180 cm, if Davies is in, his 181 cm is shortest and next in line is Sonny with 184 cm.

I am not saying that the correlation is too big between the two numbers, but I feel that we are slow to turn and pass. And then when I think short and quick players such as Edwards, Modric, Kante... they have this sharpness with them. Maybe we should not build the tallest and mightiest lineups at all costs?
I think there is a correlation. It might be the reason we play at such a slow tempo and also are more prone to pressing most of the time. Smaller, quicker players are more likely to change to a high tempo. All of our starting XI is over 6 feet tall and yet people wonder why we play so slowly. It also doesn't help that we don't really have too many pacey players.

It makes more sense to have your better players on the pitch rather than your worst. So why not have more from Hojberg/Bentancur/Bissouma/Skipp on the pitch instead of Dier, Davies, Sanchez, Emerson, Doherty, etc . Wish we played 433 instead of 343.

It makes more sense to have your better players on the pitch rather than your worst. So why not have more from Hojberg/Bentancur/Bissouma/Skipp on the pitch instead of Dier, Davies, Sanchez, Emerson, Doherty, etc . Wish we played 433 instead of 343.
Honestly think two of the first four should get a go at CB or RWB just to block the latter group

I don’t mean to be Debbie downer, but I’m starting to lose faith with Conte and his ”system”.

we have bought players for 8 of the 10 outfield positions in the Conte system in the 12 months and with the exception of Spence they seem to be all Conte signings. Even if they were Paratici signings I’m sure he consulted Conte. The only 2 who haven’t been upgraded are Kane and Dier.

But Conte isn’t able to get a tune out of the team. This is not just Dier and RWB fault, this is a collective failure and that rests with the players bought, the coach, his tactics, his selection/subs/lack of rotation and his prep for gameday.

I hope things get better but if Things continue as they have been, I won’t be disappointed if Conte doesnt sign a new contract.

I don’t mean to be Debbie downer, but I’m starting to lose faith with Conte and his ”system”.

we have bought players for 8 of the 10 outfield positions in the Conte system in the 12 months and with the exception of Spence they seem to be all Conte signings. Even if they were Paratici signings I’m sure he consulted Conte. The only 2 who haven’t been upgraded are Kane and Dier.

But Conte isn’t able to get a tune out of the team. This is not just Dier and RWB fault, this is a collective failure and that rests with the players bought, the coach, his tactics, his selection/subs/lack of rotation and his prep for gameday.

I hope things get better but if Things continue as they have been, I won’t be disappointed if Conte doesnt sign a new contract.

Stop conceding the first goal and attack aggressively from the off and things will be better. The Villa game is huge though in that respect. We need a good performance badly.

Stop conceding the first goal and attack aggressively from the off and things will be better. The Villa game is huge though in that respect. We need a good performance badly.

It's currently a v.weird dynamic...... Ordinarily a lesser team going 1 or 2 up and then parking the bus renders it hard to score..... We're kinda reversing that trend. :avbcringe:

Back
Top Bottom