Antwerp v Spurs (Thursday 29th October @ 17.55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So here's my take. Jose said that it was a risky line up. He was right, it's easy to say with hindsight (and let's not forget, when the line-up was announced, people were unanimously positive, apart from maybe Hugo in goal). It was clear in the first half that it didn't gel. I doubt that anyone knows why exactly, and I imagine Jose will be asking himself a shitload of questions. He strikes me as a man who is intensely self-critical. Whatever.

So then, after a poor first half, he makes four changes (maybe in retrospect, that was too many? Who knows). And yes, we looked a very different team in the second half. My problem with that was that I thought Lo Celso and Vini looked liked our better players in the first 45. Whatever, clearly Jose had a plan, a shape in mind, and it sort of worked, we looked a lot better in the first part of the second half, but that sort of petered out as well. Which is what I don't get. You can blame the usuals - Winks (who I thought had a decent game, although I doubt anyone will agree), Sánchez, Davies, Aurier, pick your scapegoat), but the fact is that Kane and Son were every bit as poor as Bale, Dele and the aforementioned had been. Lamela won the ball enthusiasically and then lost it, Lucas too...

So I would say, asd I've said before, the responsiblity lies across the board, no one escapes. Thankfully, it's not a season-defining defeat, but one we certainly have to learn from sharpish

Last edited:
After a supreme performance against Burnley, I think Toby will want to play this match. Boyhood club and all that, I'd give him the armband.

He also did great things for Antwerp during the Lockdown.

Only thing is that he should play against Brighton too. Not sure if JM will be sentimental.

Matchday, cant wait for it to be evening!
It’s clear for me that our players (RAFC) want to play very well in this match, its one of our “games of the season”. At home vs. The Spurs, who coulda thought 2 years back?! Im so gutted there is no crowd allowed. (F*ck Covid) because our crowd is really our 12th player on the field. Wouldnt be the first time we shout them to victory.
Im kinda hoping that Mourinho and youre players underestimate us a bit, which I doubt because Mourinho is one of the best ever and youre players are world class. And the way around, that our lesser experienced players arent starstruck. I hope we see nice football tonight! We been playing attacking and passing style of football the whole season so far so cant imagine that we would play defensive this game. Aslong as we arent a walk-over and play with everything we got and all our heart I will be pleased with my team. Im thinking logical a 1-3 victory for you guys, but Im hoping for a shock win, otherwise whats the point in playing? If not for the win. Sorry im rambling on, Im just very excited! Have a good day all and see you all tonight sort a speak!

I like you.

You can stay. Just send me a case of your famous belgian beer, ta.

:dierpochhug:

You're taking football FAR too seriously if a 1-0 loss to Antwerp in the second game of a group stage with a 2nd string team is affecting your life in some way.

Cheer up - we play again in 3 days.

I think Mourinho's statement tonight said everything. Probationary period is now over and the players who were here before the last window have now been fully assessed and graded. I wouldn't plan on seeing some of them put on a Spurs shirt in the league again.
He feels everyone has been given sufficient chances to show how much they want to play for this club and there are no more excuses left for not committing to the cause.

His substitutions tonight showed just how much he wants this trophy to be the stepping stone for us and looking at the picture of him sitting on that bus leaving the ground was a sad sight. He was let down badly this evening and that will hurt him deeply. He never ever imagined having to make those 5 changes at half time, what manager would, but it really was forced upon him by the lethargic attitude of the whole team.

So we lick our wounds, address the frailties of our defence, examine the manner in which our attack was stifled by Antwerp and come back stronger and wiser for Brighton.

Last edited:
Some insight into Antwerp:

- They are the oldest club in Belgium
- "The great old" has seen somewhat of a resurrection, they went from a second division team to a top six team in the span of a couple of years
- They have a rich chairman (nicknamed Plastic Paul due to the botched surgeries), he is a construction/real estate tycoon
- They have a certain type of scouting: they are a collection of players who excelled in the league, went to play abroad, and now are back and somewhat past their prime
- They are kind of in the best form since coming back to the first division, they are currently on top of the table
- However: they have a small squad (low amount of quality players, certain amount of injuries), so they might not be that fit
- Player comparison: Refaelov is their Eriksen, Mbokani is their Suarez, Lamkel Zé is their Balotelli (antics wise)
- They play attacking football, which leaves them exposed on the counter
- They can rise above themselves if they have momentum on their side, so we should really try to dictate play
- Looks like it will be the first game with a crowd for Tottenham

edit: Koji is their pacy winger with a decent dribble who likes to get the ball even if he's surrounded by 4 players and is good at link up play in the final third, plays RW

Last edited:
Anyone blaming Mourinho is a fucking idiot.

The starting 11 was enough to win, let alone introducing Kane, Son, Hojbjerg, Lucas and Lamela. Individual performances was the problem today. The likes of Dele and Bergwijn won't get a game for a while now.

Honestly dont think he should be commenting on social media like that
Why not ? He's not singling out any one player. He is simply speaking the truth, bad performances don't deserve wins and anyone who goes home on that bus feeling anything other than gutted and disappointed (like he obviously is) shouldn't be playing.
Personally I'd have them in tomorrow at 6.00 am

Back
Top Bottom