Are the morals of our owners important to you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Surprised they didn't go for Spammers to be honest? Unscrupulous owners and in London.
I’m not sure but I thought they were prevented from selling to anyone by the terms of the stadium deal for several years?

Didn't they just undergo certain tests which ascertained that the government wouldn't be in charge and instead it is some other business entity? at least that will be the "front" of the organisation.
Hahaha, yes, yes, they did.

wolf-sheep.jpg

Ok, at its core, there is not ethical consumption of professional football. It is no longer possible to be entirely ethical and support a pro club at the top level. The money is too large, the people involved can only do some fairly shitty stuff to get that kind of money. So, no one is lilywhite.

But, there are levels to this shit. Being a bit of a vulture capitalist and making some bucks through currency speculation or gambling on leverage is crap, and frankly unmeritous. But it is not on the same level of shittiness as stealing your country's entire energy industry at pennies on the dollar (or ruble) and then overcharging everyone to use it.

Or spending an unlimited amount of money to back a club while promoting your small, really shitty authoritarian state in a way that will make it less hateful than it seems (unless someone looks under the cover).

So, while yes, it is slightly hypocritical to say ethics matter and I would be out if Spurs were taken over by the Saudis, Emiratis, or an oligarch from a former communist state, I do have to draw the line somewhere for my own sanity. I cannot be perfect, but I won't let that be the enemy of the good, so yeah, it's fucking atrocious the Saudis are getting a free pass, just like Abu Dhabi or Qatar before them.

I suppose using that argument you could say there wasn't any evidence that Hitler was personally involved in killing any Jews.

Not sure it washes to be honest.
Don’t the prospective owners of any EPL club have to demonstrate that they are right and proper etc?

You know what's really nauseating. People using this analogy to somehow make an argument for ENIC being good owners.

They're not. They're fucking shit.
They care nothing about football. They care even less about you, the lifelong fan.
They're only interested in it's commercial exploitation as a means to expand their property portfolio and land their ultimate goal of an NFL franchise.

Saudi's, Russians, Chinese or whoever investing in other clubs in NO WAY makes ENIC's slow strangulation of our soul acceptable.

Let nobody ever forget this.
I do not care about Enic I loathe them but being the much lesser of two evils are what they are. I recognise Joe Lewis was allegidly involved in Black Wednesday and that caused a ridiculous amount of hurt to some people and seriously affected the goverment because of Nigel Lawson's stupid policy of a fixed exchange rate. The fact is thes Saudi's, Qatari's and Abu Dhabi's all run their countries are evil and that is the problem.

For those saying that Newcastle fans are endorsing human rights violations for celebrating the new owners.
Surely the next logical leap to make is that the Premier League and ergo us, Spurs. Are also endorsing it by allowing them to takeover?

Like we currently endorse sweat shops churning out kits
Players earning more than the average working man earns in 10 years in a week.
Reports of people on slave wages dying building stadiums for the World cup in Qatar

It goes on and on and on

Playing devils advocate a bit here as I don't have strong opinions on Arab owners, I just think any clubs with virtually unlimited funds are bad for the integrity of the sport, If I wanted to follow a sport that was all about money I'd follow Formula one racing. the morale question hasn't entered into it for me.

But If we are going to be talking about the morality of owners.

Do we have evidence that the new Newcastle owners have been personally involved in any crimes or human rights violations?
It doesn't really cut it when you just lump a group of people together based on their country of origin or ethnicity. Nor can they be blamed individually for the policies of the state they happen to reside in.

So if the country has what we in the West consider to be backwards views on homosexuality and women's rights, does that necessarily mean that the new Newcastle owners are at the forefront of that?
I don't know the answers I'm just asking the questions.

Secondly I assume everybody moaning about Newcastle's owners will be boycotting the World cup in Qatar next year for the rumoured human rights violations?

The chairman of the Saudi Private Investment Fund is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. So, yes, he has been personally implicated in murder.

And plenty of those “moaning” now were also appalled at FIFA awarding the World Cup to Qatar.

For those saying that Newcastle fans are endorsing human rights violations for celebrating the new owners.
Surely the next logical leap to make is that the Premier League and ergo us, Spurs. Are also endorsing it by allowing them to takeover?

Depends how you're defining "allow".

.......You talking about fans now?

Not everyone buys those kits.

There will be plenty of people who have 'checked-out' of modern football for this and other reasons.

Reports of people on slave wages dying building stadiums for the World cup in Qatar

There will be fans that boycott that too.

It goes on and on and on

Indeed it does.... And people will continue to wrestle with their conscience...... Some a lot more than others.

Honestly I don't like any of it, I am genuinely considering walking away and have been for sometime now.

Football has been a morally corrupt sport for a long time now in terms of what it is for the paying supporters.

However, the regimes that are taking over these clubs now and the people celebrating it really is the final nail in the coffin for me I think.

I am conflicted because I love my club but I no longer love the sport.
Football stopped being a sport when sky bought the EPL rights back in the 90s

Bin Salman runs the country. Bin Salman is the chairman of the Sovereign Wealth fund.
No connection there then.
Obviously the premier league thought they were going to lose the appeal so just bottled it.
To have a country owning a football club is just ridiculous. It completely skews transfers and wages.
Abu Dhabi and Qatar were bad enough but this lot are on another level.
The champions league will become a Middle East battleground.
City and PSG have never won the champ lge in spite of the billions spent.
Hope they never do......sorry Poch.
Mind you, if there is one club who can cock this up......can only be Newcastle.

Football stopped being a sport when sky bought the EPL rights back in the 90s

Perhaps google 'Liverpool Littlewoods pools money'...... Or about how Woolwich joined the league.

Further digging back is required.

Last edited:

It goes on and on and on
What BS you spouting and yes Levy is culpable him and the Liverpool owners withdrew their complaints on this take over probably after the Super League Fiasco. The fans are not culpable including the Newcastle fans but they still are celebrating being owned by evil.

Depends how you're defining "allow".

Indeed it does.... And people will continue to wrestle with their conscience...... Some a lot more than others.

Well all of the other 19 owners could have put pressure on the PL to block these new owners and if they are as evil as people are alleging on here, why didn't they? I didn't even hear that as a possibility of a course of action.

Even if such a block failed it would prove they give a shit about the morale question right? Because at the moment I'm hearing crickets.

And as it seems like neither the PL or Spurs are willing to challenge this, that for me is endorsement.

If people feel that strong about human rights abusers entering the Premier league then they should act on their convictions and stop going, virtue signalling on the internet doesn't cut it.

Ok, at its core, there is not ethical consumption of professional football. It is no longer possible to be entirely ethical and support a pro club at the top level. The money is too large, the people involved can only do some fairly shitty stuff to get that kind of money. So, no one is lilywhite.

But, there are levels to this shit. Being a bit of a vulture capitalist and making some bucks through currency speculation or gambling on leverage is crap, and frankly unmeritous. But it is not on the same level of shittiness as stealing your country's entire energy industry at pennies on the dollar (or ruble) and then overcharging everyone to use it.

Or spending an unlimited amount of money to back a club while promoting your small, really shitty authoritarian state in a way that will make it less hateful than it seems (unless someone looks under the cover).

So, while yes, it is slightly hypocritical to say ethics matter and I would be out if Spurs were taken over by the Saudis, Emiratis, or an oligarch from a former communist state, I do have to draw the line somewhere for my own sanity. I cannot be perfect, but I won't let that be the enemy of the good, so yeah, it's fucking atrocious the Saudis are getting a free pass, just like Abu Dhabi or Qatar before them.

The only difference between ENIC and the Saudis is that the Saudis can get away with it.

End of.

Well all of the other 19 owners could have put pressure on the PL to block these new owners and if they are as evil as people are alleging on here, why didn't they? I didn't even hear that as a possibility of a course of action.

Even if such a block failed it would prove they give a shit about the morale question right? Because at the moment I'm hearing crickets.

And as it seems like neither the PL or Spurs are willing to challenge this, that for me is endorsement.

Clubs DID vote to veto the original take-over attempt.

PIF/Saudi (delete as preferable) have since paid 1BN to the EPL to smooth this deal through at the second attempt.

How do you know the clubs haven't attempted to challenge it all over again?

If people feel that strong about human rights abusers entering the Premier league then they should act on their convictions and stop going, virtue signalling on the internet doesn't cut it.

You're still just painting everyone with a VERY broad brush..... Your comment here also distinctly implies that anyone that doesn't go to matches should shut the fuck up and say nothing.

Back
Top Bottom