'Arry out

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This has everything to do with our season, but more importantly it has do with NEXT season and beyond.

In the league, Redknapp's Spurs are 1 - 3 - 4 since 26 February. That's 6 points from 8. Our 10 point lead stranglehold over 3rd place and automatic Champions League group stage berth has become a 5 point deficit which now sees us struggling to remain fourth and the possibility of needing to win a qualifier to play in the Champions League proper.

We reached the semifinal of the FA cup by being drawn against Cheltenham, Watford, Stevanage and Bolton. Spurs should have been beaten by Watford and needed a replay to finish off Stevenage. Our best opportunity to win a meaningful trophy ended in complete failure and included the shocking decision to start our 3rd string keeper against a current Champions League semifinalist.

Bombed out of the Carling Cup to Stoke by playing children and managing nothing in 120 minutes of play and failing to win a shootout against a team with no strikers.

Scoffed at the Europa League and didn't even bother to show up to the away games.

Our summer transfer targets are now likely considering other options as we are clearly not a "big club" with an upward trajectory.

We will struggle to retain our core players who will now explore their options over the summer.

We will also stuggle to obtain a top flight replacement for Harry given the squad uncertainty and questionable Champions League credentials of THFC.

How do the investors feel about THFC as a product - the sponsors both current and future; the one's that are going to help us pay for our fancy new stadium and merchandising?

Is it true that ENIC was positioning the club for a sell on to AEG? And now?

In short - Harry fucked it up right good. Greater managers have been sacked for much less.

We discussed early this season what would be considered success. I always felt that 3rd and a trophy should be the goal. 4th and a trophy would still be considered success. 4th alone would be merely satisfactory and anything else would be failure. Given the circumstances surrounding our finish, the opportunity that existed, and the conspicuous nature of our downturn in form - I feel that irreparable harm has been done to the club's profile in world football. Once a replacement is lined up. Harry should be sacked. It isn't kneejerk. It's necessary.

And those are just the facts. Factor into the equation Harry's attitude toward the supporters, his total lack of accountability, his questionable tactics or lack thereof, his questionable CHARACTER or lack thereof and his legal woes, and now the decision becomes a total no-brainer. It's time for the club to move on.

We finacially cannot maintain the next level yet though, we can barely afford this level. I know it's sad, but money is the main factor in football now. If it wasn't we would have won the league in February

WilsonJet said:
This has everything to do with our season, but more importantly it has do with NEXT season and beyond.

In the league, Redknapp's Spurs are 1 - 3 - 4 since 26 February. That's 6 points from 8. Our 10 point lead stranglehold over 3rd place and automatic Champions League group stage berth has become a 5 point deficit which now sees us struggling to remain fourth and the possibility of needing to win a qualifier to play in the Champions League proper.

We reached the semifinal of the FA cup by being drawn against Cheltenham, Watford, Stevanage and Bolton. Spurs should have been beaten by Watford and needed a replay to finish off Stevenage. Our best opportunity to win a meaningful trophy ended in complete failure and included the shocking decision to start our 3rd string keeper against a current Champions League semifinalist.

Bombed out of the Carling Cup to Stoke by playing children and managing nothing in 120 minutes of play and failing to win a shootout against a team with no strikers.

Scoffed at the Europa League and didn't even bother to show up to the away games.

Our summer transfer targets are now likely considering other options as we are clearly not a "big club" with an upward trajectory.

We will struggle to retain our core players who will now explore their options over the summer.

We will also stuggle to obtain a top flight replacement for Harry given the squad uncertainty and questionable Champions League credentials of THFC.

How do the investors feel about THFC as a product - the sponsors both current and future; the one's that are going to help us pay for our fancy new stadium and merchandising?

In short - Harry fucked it up right good. Greater managers have been sacked for much less.

We discussed early this season what would be considered success. I alwasy felt that 3rd and a trophy should be the goal. 4th and a trophy would still be considered success. 4th alone would be merely satisfactory and anything else would be failure. Given the circumstances surrounding our finish, the opportunity that existed, and the conspicuous nature of our downturn in form - I feel that irreparable harm has been done to the club's profile in world football. Once a replacement is lined up. Harry should be sacked. It isn't kneejerk. It's necessary.

And those are just the facts. Factor into the equation Harry's attitude toward the supporters, his total lack of accountability, his questionable tactics or lack thereof, his questionable CHARACTER or lack thereof and his legal woes, and now the decision becomes a total no-brainer. It's time for the club to move on.

Thats a very deep, but potentially honest way of looking at things. I was having this discussion with my dad and to be honest, who knows what will happen. Who would have planned a russian taken over a club struggling to qualify for Europe? and who would have planned an Arab taking over a relegation threatened team. I'd hate Spurs to become one of those, but with our lack of funds and small stadium compared to our targets, I can't see any other way. It's horrible, but there is no such thing as luck which we would have to rely on to get to the next level. Our luck dried up at the Woolwich Library, Islington.

WilsonJet said:

We discussed early this season what would be considered success. I alwasy felt that 3rd and a trophy should be the goal. 4th and a trophy would still be considered success. 4th alone would be merely satisfactory and anything else would be failure. Given the circumstances surrounding our finish, the opportunity that existed, and the conspicuous nature of our downturn in form - I feel that irreparable harm has been done to the club's profile in world football. Once a replacement is lined up. Harry should be sacked. It isn't kneejerk. It's necessary.

Fucking hell!

Nail.....head.....the lot.

Exactly why Harry should go. The last two months just cost the club a ton of money.

And, not for nothing, we didn't get where we were because of luck. I would say we were in that position in spite of it.

Kalyl said:
Ben said:
He's going anyway so it's irrelevant, but if that wasn't the case then this thread is poor form.
as we all crave that next level, I wouldnt say it's poor form. we just cannot rely on a tactically inept manager (he's even said it himself!). to compete at the highest level we need a man with a full on football brain, not only "man management."

HR is not tactically inept. And he didn't "say it himself" you need to read between the lines when he's sound biting off to the press.

He has handled the whole England vacancy terribly, and with total disrespect for THFC and that's the reason I myself am no longer concerned about if\when he goes.

But 3 months ago he was the one and only man for the job (dont lie, you saw it!!) It seems now that the ones that never wanted him are having they're " I told you so" moment.

Fine, but had the England fiasco have not come up then we would still be rocking the boat at the top of the table.
Shit on harrys part and utterly disrespectful . But the players need to take account of themselves as much as the manager, they need to be more professional and not let this shit affect them. Do they want it it or not ffs?

Ben said:
He has handled the whole England vacancy terribly, and with total disrespect for THFC and that's the reason I myself am no longer concerned about if\when he goes.

This.

Ben said:
But the players need to take account of themselves as much as the manager, they need to be more professional and not let this shit affect them. Do they want it it or not ffs?

AND THIS!

:thumbup:

:parker:

But.....

Ben said:
HR is not tactically inept.

Sorry, but while inept he isn't, limited he certainly is.

Agree with the part about the players. However, I was very pro Harry until today. I reserve the right to change my mind if the evidence indicates otherwise and given the gravity of today's outcome - the man's gotta go. Truthfully, I don't think the FA wants him for England now either.

I agree whole-heartedly with you about the players, we've only really got 2-4 players who actually seem to give a crap. but what we saw earlier in the season was more down to most of our players being on fire at the exact same time.

Cause what I atleast saw then and still do was weak goals conceeded through bad stand-off defending and in the few games we didn't overpower the opposition early on we struggled to create and kill them off.

boneycrisp said:
We finacially cannot maintain the next level yet though, we can barely afford this level. I know it's sad, but money is the main factor in football now. If it wasn't we would have won the league in February
See,I am in two minds about this sort of statement.

I don't disagree with your suggestion that, at least in the short terms, a meg rich owner might be necessary. I have said this for some years now. Although some fans don't like it, the fact is that in the modern game it does very much buy you success. That's the cold hard truth of the matter. It doesn't bring you the full package, you only have to look at the difference between City and United to see that, but it gives you a kick start. I'd rather we find a way to do it without the uber-rich, but I am struggling to formulate one in my head and am thinking that by the time we construct our new stadium, we may have skipped down the league table again - a prospect I fear very much.

However, I also agree with WilsonJet's assessment. For me, Harry should've gone the minute Capello went. You surely can't tell me that the England job hadn't come up by that point. Behind the scenes no doubt Harry was already sitting on the fence. Once the seat had become empty Levy should've begun asking for commitment. I refuse to accept the notion that this whole farce has had not effect on the squad. The timing of our downturn is just too coincidental. Are we to believe that Levy has allowed it to go on for the rest of the season just to get £5m odd in compensation money from the FA? Fact is, that aside from all of the reasons WilsonJet stated, we became a lame duck club once Capello went. Harry has acted in purely his won interests - something surely even the players ha e spotted - and Levy has bottled it when needing to make a tough decision (although, to be fair, even he probably decent see this all collapsing as spectacularly as it has).

Kalyl said:
I agree whole-heartedly with you about the players, we've only really got 2-4 players who actually seem to give a crap. but what we saw earlier in the season was more down to most of our players being on fire at the exact same time.

Cause what I atleast saw then and still do was weak goals conceeded through bad stand-off defending and in the few games we didn't overpower the opposition early on we struggled to create and kill them off.
To my mind, you have to wonder just how good this crop of players really are if they go off the boil for so long.

Are the likes of Bale and Modric really galaticos in waiting?

Blanchflower said:
I heard Levy's wife is very ill.....maybe his eye is off the ball as other things are more important right now
As sad as that is, if true, surely there are other people there to help run the club if there are problems? What of the rest of the board?

I know this is going to sound super harsh, and a bit wankerish, but, as sad as an ill wife is, Levy is chairman of a major football club and that responsibility doesn't end because something bad happens in his family. He can't focus on something else when it suits him. So, to my mind, if he does have family problems then a leave of absense, while he tends to his wife, may be in order with someone else stepping in to caretake the club in the interim. That is what would be expected from any of the rest of our employers if we had the same situation and it compounded our ability to carry out our jobs. Sounds harsh, I know, but these sorts of tough choices have to be made when family problems, bereaevments etc, come along.

Now, all that said, illness or no illness, I don't think he had an easy choice to make. At the time Capello went we were still riding high and I don't think any of us, including Levy, could've predicted just how far we'd fall. It's only really after it became obvious that there was a problem that Levy should've started thinking about cutting Harry lose. What puzzles me about all this is that Martin Jol got the sack when he was on a run of form better than this. Harry's close season performance last year can be viewed in the context of fixture congestion and a blip. This year's repeat though was more than what it took to get Jol sacked and really Harry should've been out of the door after Norwich if the club was going to be consistent. If we were realistic and assumed we are now destined to finish outside of the top four this season then all that seperates Redknapp from Martin Jol is a dodgy lasagne. Ramos and Redknapp were appointed with the idea of making progress. But just how much progress has really been made?

Dr. Filth said:
Family comes before Tottenham. I don't blame him for being distracted if that's true.
Of course it comes before Tottenham, and that's why I say that if he can't do both at the same time then he should take a leave of absense and see to his wife. I thought I kinda made that bit obvious. :vdv:

Smoked Salmon said:
Harry should've gone the minute Capello went.
It's funny/sad to consider the discussions we're having now, in that they are identical to discussions around this time last year. Well, except they were on Twitter/blogs (for me), and not here.

Harry has been a lame duck for at least a year now. We have known since then that he was the 'favourite' for the England job, and we knew also about his tax problems. Back in April 2011, it was unlikely as fuck that he would be our manager come August 2012 (as Capello was to leave after the Euros, as we all know).

And that's what really gets me about this. My suspicion was that Levy of course knew this, but had certain insider information available to him that meant that Harry would still be a good manager (he maybe knew, for example, that the tax case was just an expensive joke). But now I wonder.

I was certainly not the only person last summer calling for a replacement. After our capitulation and his contempt for the supporters, the magic had gone. His seeming perverse thrill in undercutting Levy during the summer (remember, he took Modrić's side and kept risking inflating Parker's price by going on about how special he was) was just one more twist of the dagger.

So I just don't get it. Of all the ways that things could have played out this season--and there were many amazing highs--the one thing I was not expecting was for it to look more or less the same kind of shambles of unfulfilled promise in April as it did last year. I thought we learned from our lessons; I thought we would be more mature; I thought Harry would have already been gone.

Smoked Salmon said:
Dr. Filth said:
Family comes before Tottenham. I don't blame him for being distracted if that's true.
Of course it comes before Tottenham, and that's why I say that if he can't do both at the same time then he should take a leave of absense and see to his wife. I thought I kinda made that bit obvious. :vdv:
wasn't a shot at you. sorry :hugs: more like agreeing

Back
Top Bottom