Ashley Phillips

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Need somewhere that plays football though

In a perfect world yes; but aside from the fact that's rare in the bottom half; it takes a certain set of circumstances (and one hell of a lot of faith) for a club to roll the dice on a loan player as a starter in a key position (i.e. GK, CB or ST) when gearing up for a survival battle...... Especially one of youth and scant experience.

Can't think of too many over the years.....

Lukaku at WBA

A season in the EPL trenches with Dyche is no bad thing for any young CB when trying to acclimatise to the men's game.

In a perfect world yes; but aside from the fact that's rare in the bottom half; it takes a certain set of circumstances (and one hell of a lot of faith) for a club to roll the dice on a loan player as a starter in a key position (i.e. GK, CB or ST) when gearing up for a survival battle.......... Especially one of youth and scant experience.

Can't think of too many over the years.....

Lukaku at WBA

A season in the EPL trenches with Dyche is no bad thing for any young CB.

Everton olay decent football this season.

They might not if they get stripped of all their best players in the summer in a desperate attempt to balance the books. 😆
Not to worry - I have every confidence they will play decent football in the Championship next season after going down 🤣🤣

A further points deduction incoming. 😀😀

Looks very good in the vid. I like the long passing down the right side.

Is it just me or does he appear to move and turn a bit slowly though?

Everything else looks good though- I like his size and instincts for defending.

Agreed. Looks strangely like Dele out there to me, especially with the lanky frame + hairstyle.

Less of an issue at CB compared to midfield though, time will tell.

Everton will probably be selling braithwaite for a large amount this summer. Phillips or Dorrington on loan there could be a good move? Also learning besides Tarkowski is probably great for young CBs, I've always rated him

Everton will probably be selling braithwaite for a large amount this summer. Phillips or Dorrington on loan there could be a good move? Also learning besides Tarkowski is probably great for young CBs, I've always rated him
I like Tarkowski and I am unanimous in that opinion, especially if he is free Captain Peacock.

Yup, awful defending. Looked scared, as if the ball was gonna hurt him. Big lad like that gotta dominate and head it clear.

I reckon that lack of aggression is probably why he's never been trusted by Ange yet (outside of also being 18 years old).

And exactly why loans and game time are needed for these youngsters.

He's had a tough 30 mins. That goal wasn't great, though he was a tad unlucky, seems he sees it late. But not very confident on the ball and soon as that Meite runs at him, he looks lost.

I reckon that lack of aggression is probably why he's never been trusted by Ange yet (outside of also being 18 years old).

And exactly why loans and game time are needed for these youngsters.
Definitely. Attributes are theoretical until applied. Even doing well in training with elite players doesnt transfer to actual competition.

Anyone with some years of experience in sport knows it.
I could score 20 penalties in a row in training, isn't so easy when it matters though, even in front of only 100 people instead of 60k.

Did better as the half went on. Let's not forget that Cardiff are a good side, used to the Champo...unlike Plymouth, who also have a very young team.

Ash is just 18, with what...10 Champo games to his name...of course the lad needs time. The Champo is a proper competitive league, it ain't easy.

He's playing RCB, seeing plenty of the ball, faces a tough physical lad...all good stuff for his development. Even that bad piece of defending that led to Cardiff's goal.

Back
Top Bottom