Aston Villa

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vince

do you think if we had him on our books (off your recommendation) - would Jose would be picking him now?

given that LoCelso and N'Dombele aren't his picks?

Irrespective of the mickey taking over your promotion of the guy, he has definitely performed to premier standards, although I'm not sure its to the top six requirements.

Do you still believe he has that level in his skillset?
Yes I have honestly believed in McGinn for many years. Everyone thought I was mad. He has the irresistible combination of talent and application. Pavel Nedved of the North. If he was something other than Scottish he would be a Champions League stalwart.

Having been a few seats away from their fans at the home game last season, this news doesn't surprise me one bit.

Ugly bunch.

Every time I watch Villa I get increasingly angry with Levy for his absurd penny pinching when attempting to sign Jack Grealish. What a player he is.
That said he probably wouldn’t get picked by Mourinho, not skilled enough in the art of the low defensive block.

Really intrigued to see how well he does. I think he did a great job at Rangers, who were miles behind Celtic (financially), a better job than Lampard did at Derby IMO.

I might be mis-remembering, but over the Summer I'm sure there were some (maybe many) on here who questioned whether we'd be able to pry him from Rangers if he were our pick...

This kind of makes a mockery of that notion. Easier for him to drop them as soon as Liverpool come calling in the near future I would think, through my Spurs tinted glasses. Probably a more manageable step in between the Rangers/Liverpool jobs too.

Really intrigued to see how well he does. I think he did a great job at Rangers, who were miles behind Celtic (financially), a better job than Lampard did at Derby IMO.

If he does well you know that Liverpool will swoop for him one day. Which is obviously his intention with going to Villa. He wants to become Prem proven.

But there's a big risk, if he flops he may have tanked his chances at the Liverpool job.

I might be mis-remembering, but over the Summer I'm sure there were some (maybe many) on here who questioned whether we'd be able to pry him from Rangers if he were our pick...

This kind of makes a mockery of that notion. Easier for him to drop them as soon as Liverpool come calling in the near future I would think, through my Spurs tinted glasses. Probably a more manageable step in between the Rangers/Liverpool jobs too.

It is probably the same people who think Potter wouldn't have jumped ship to come to us in the summer too. Jobs like ours don't come up that often for those managers not in the top rung. Jobs like Villa are still good jobs. I can see why he has gone there. Their owners back the manager too from wheat we have seen so far.

Dean Smith always struggled without Grealish. Gerrard never had him so has no idea what he has lost. I bet they start climbing the table now.

Good on Gerrard who looks like he wants to be as good a manager as he was as a player.

He seems to not have an obvious ego which says look at what I did. Very different to Roy Keane.

I guess the task is getting past those teams who have genuinely got better players.

In other words can he be as good as Rodgers or arguably Conte or Arteta in adding value to squads that are not at the level of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United?

I think he will personally aim for top 7.

Rangers probably in the shit now then, maybe lampard will have a go up there?
Unless Lampard is tied down to Norwich already that is not a bad shout.

But it seems like Rangers are mainly looking at former players right now based on the rumour mill.

A good move for Gerrard I think. A step up for him to see how well he does before Liverpool come calling.

Liverpool are an elite club again, one of the best managers in world football, a board who know when to spend and when not to spend, a fan base that demand success and let you know it, so this automatic assumption that Gerrard is Liverpool bound at some point isn’t necessarily a definite thing, more the media being romantic to the idea….
For that to happen, Gerrard would have to be a very successful manager over the coming years to be even considered for the Liverpool job..
So far at Rangers he can be considered a success, but now comes the massive jump to the Premier league.
Personally, if given a fair chance and some backing he can massively improve Villa, and that of course will raise his stock value, but I think he needs an even bigger challenge before Liverpool come knocking…

I think Gerrard will be England manager before being Liverpool manager….

Good on Gerrard who looks like he wants to be as good a manager as he was as a player.

He seems to not have an obvious ego which says look at what I did. Very different to Roy Keane.

I guess the task is getting past those teams who have genuinely got better players.

In other words can he be as good as Rodgers or arguably Conte or Arteta in adding value to squads that are not at the level of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United?

I think he will personally aim for top 7.
Arteta lol

Back
Top Bottom