Aston Villa

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hmmmmm.... Not good... Esp. as it seemingly hasn't paid off...

Wonder how much of the 80m Frank got this season?
It meant they recorded a £14.6M profit.

I can understand (not agree with) why we cant have a more stringent Fit and proper persons test (law of the land) but a rule of owning a club in the FL / EPL should be you cant sell your stadium or training ground without having a replacement that the league ok. This is not asset stripping but there has been enough of it over the years that there should be a way to stop it.

Dean Smith has done a great job there, they were going nowhere under Bruce but Smith turned them around,
I think they will be desperate to hang on to Grealish and Abraham now they are up. Whether Chelsea will loan him again or Villa have the money to buy him outright is another thing. They will be reluctant to sell Grealish especially and might well double the asking price, Grealish himself might be keen to stay on and play for his boyhood club in the PL also.

Dean Smith has done a great job there, they were going nowhere under Bruce but Smith turned them around,
I think they will be desperate to hang on to Grealish and Abraham now they are up. Whether Chelsea will loan him again or Villa have the money to buy him outright is another thing. They will be reluctant to sell Grealish especially and might well double the asking price, Grealish himself might be keen to stay on and play for his boyhood club in the PL also.

£40-50m.... And rising if he looks the real deal by January.....

It's over.

John McGinn ? He has looked good any time I have seen Villa, he is the ball winner in their midfield, I'm sure he said at some point - might have been after the Derby game, not sure - that he wins the ball and gives it to Grealish to create things. Or words to that effect.
Real box to box, tenacious player. Not very big but wins his share of tackles.
I think he wanted to go to Celtic from Hibs last summer but they wouldn't meet the asking price and Villa did. Pretty sure it was a major bone of contention and one of the reasons Rodgers bailed out when Leicester came calling.

John McGinn ? He has looked good any time I have seen Villa, he is the ball winner in their midfield, I'm sure he said at some point - might have been after the Derby game, not sure - that he wins the ball and gives it to Grealish to create things. Or words to that effect.
I think he wanted to go to Celtic from Hibs last summer but they wouldn't meet the asking price and Villa did. Pretty sure it was a major bone of contention and one of the reasons Rodgers bailed out when Leicester came calling.
Someone on here once said he was The Nedved of the North.
The poor cunt was mocked for suggesting that. I'm sure he linked McGinn with us before even Celtic took an interest. Fuck knows what became of that visionary forum user. I wish we'd bought McGinn for the money Hibs would have taken
Ah well

Doesn't it stem from a couple of good seasons they had under Martin O'Neill where it was either us or them for a UEFA Cup spot?

Wouldn't consider them rivals for that, but they were the only club apart from Spurs who looked like they might break in to the top 4 at the time.
This would have been the last time we would have considered them as rivals. They were as good as us back then.

Before that it would have been early eighties. They won the league and European Cup whilst we were winning the cup and UEFA cup.

Seem to recall, so googled to check, they used only 14 players in the season they won the league. 7 of whom were ever present! In a 42 match season!

I like their stadium and enjoy the atmosphere, but rivals? No.

The poor cunt was mocked for suggesting that. I'm sure he linked McGinn with us before even Celtic took an interest. Fuck knows what became of that visionary forum user. I wish we'd bought McGinn for the money Hibs would have taken
Ah well
Turns out you may be correct about McGinn. He’s looked very good in the few matches I’ve seen. Usual “he’s from SPL so he’ll be shit” story.

But there’s always a McGinn to be had. Armstrong has been decent for Southampton. Big Vic too. Ryan Fraser doing well At Bournemouth. Kenny McLean coming up with Norwich. Not to mention Andy Robertson and VVD at the red plague.

There’s value to be had up here if someone takes a risk. Like signing a guy from MK Dons. Always a chance it’ll work out.

"These aren't the droids you're looking for... "

:vert:
Ah well
The story was that Hibs wanted £2.5M, Celtic offered £2M, he wanted to go there - Celtic fan as a kid - but Celtic refused to budge so Villa got him.
That transfer window and January where Rodgers didn't get the money or players he wanted are supposedly one of the main reasons Rodgers left Celtic when he did.
It will be interesting to see how McGinn will fare in the PL next season. Bundle of energy, box to box, can pass the ball and puts everthing he has into tackles.

Turns out you may be correct about McGinn. He’s looked very good in the few matches I’ve seen. Usual “he’s from SPL so he’ll be shit” story.

But there’s always a McGinn to be had. Armstrong has been decent for Southampton. Big Vic too. Ryan Fraser doing well At Bournemouth. Kenny McLean coming up with Norwich. Not to mention Andy Robertson and VVD at the red plague.

There’s value to be had up here if someone takes a risk. Like signing a guy from MK Dons. Always a chance it’ll work out.
Well said, Pipes

The story was that Hibs wanted £2.5M, Celtic offered £2M, he wanted to go there - Celtic fan as a kid - but Celtic refused to budge so Villa got him.
That transfer window and January where Rodgers didn't get the money or players he wanted are supposedly one of the main reasons Rodgers left Celtic when he did.
It will be interesting to see how McGinn will fare in the PL next season. Bundle of energy, box to box, can pass the ball and puts everthing he has into tackles.
All true, son

No mention of Ron Saunders death?

Manager of Villa in their 1970's heyday.

Joined from Norwich, where he got them promoted in 1971-72 to First Div for the first time in their history. Beat Chavs in the 73' LC semis before losing to us in the final, Ralph Coates goal. Fell out with the Directors (story of his life). Joined Citeh for 5 months before he fell out with Swales (crap chairman). Then Villa - got them promoted, then 2 LC's, a Div 1 Title, and his team then won the European Cup. Typically he'd rowed with the Chairman and resigned (lol) at the QF stage.

Very different times:

No mention of Ron Saunders death?

Manager of Villa in their 1970's heyday.

Joined from Norwich, where he got them promoted in 1971-72 to First Div for the first time in their history. Beat Chavs in the 73' LC semis before losing to us in the final, Ralph Coates goal. Fell out with the Directors (story of his life). Joined Citeh for 5 months before he fell out with Swales (crap chairman). Then Villa - got them promoted, then 2 LC's, a Div 1 Title, and his team then won the European Cup. Typically he'd rowed with the Chairman and resigned (lol) at the QF stage.

Very different times:

Mentioned in Obituary thread

B5-CA6-E58-D150-4-B0-C-8-D31-5408-D6-D501-B2.png

Villa team that won the EC before my time but for any of the older members does this team revoke memories can’t say I’ve heard of any of them..... :thumbdown:

B5-CA6-E58-D150-4-B0-C-8-D31-5408-D6-D501-B2.png

Villa team that won the EC before my time but for any of the older members does this team revoke memories can’t say I’ve heard of any of them..... :thumbdown:
I remember Cowans and Spink from my football card collection circa 1990. They must've been young lads when they won the EC.

Vince

do you think if we had him on our books (off your recommendation) - would Jose would be picking him now?

given that LoCelso and N'Dombele aren't his picks?

Irrespective of the mickey taking over your promotion of the guy, he has definitely performed to premier standards, although I'm not sure its to the top six requirements.

Do you still believe he has that level in his skillset?

Back
Top Bottom