Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Audere said:
Dr. Filth said:
I'd argue it goes 1. Modric 2. VDV 3. Bale 4. Ade and maybe 5. Lennon. Those are the only players that are key to how we play, and all of them, including probably Lennon, are needed in the team. If we're missing any of the 5, it's pretty obvious we miss them.

Huh?

I would say any manager in world football bar Ronaldo's or Messi's would have Bale from us if they had first pick. They would be fools not to. There is no one in world football like him.

A string puller like Modric is rare but hardly gold dust. Hudd for us did it whilst Modders was finding his feet. I love Modric abilities and appreciate him but lets not over evaluate him.

Bale is special. No question. When he gets the ball from his own penalty box he can score. Modric cant.
Modric completely sets up the way we play. He gets the ball to players we need. He can provide the final ball. He can even finish in the box, but obviously he isn't as good as Bale or VDV. Without Modric as the creative engine in the center we look stale and completely lack creativity. Without Bale we lack a dynamic presence on the left. Bale isn't even a clinical finisher at this point in his career. I'd 100% take Xavi over Chicharito. Only one can complete dictate the flow of a game and boss a game.

These sort of debates are open to far too many elements. You can't compare the importance to the best United team of Schmeichel to Cantona; Cantona made things happen around the pitch but Schmeichel saved them 12 points in the season they overhauled Newcastle. You could go further and say that until the past few games Ledley King was our most important player, I think we went 19 games unbeaten when he had played - surely results are more important than who scored the goals and if Ledley was the consistent that created those results it would be him.

Each team can point to an individual and say that he is the person who can change the game but does that make him the most important player? I don't think so. Even though we know what a great player Modric is (and yesterday's first half he gave the ball away four times carelessly) he sometimes does so much more than a seasoned supporter might notice, drwing fouls, creating space when not in possession, without him doing this and setting Bale free then perhaps Bale wouldn't look as good.

Either way, a team such as ours is made up of many compenents that create the whole, we've seen that with Lennon and Adebayors abscene.

I should point out that calling someone an idiot for having a different persepective is a touch ironic

Audere said:
Anyone that does't realise that Bale is our most important asset is an idiot.
It's an echo of Mr. Redknapp!

Without Modric we have zero creativity, but i'd also argue that without Bale (when he plays on the left) we have no explosive danger from counter-attacks (Azza does try but he's just not on the same level).

Van der Vaart is also vital, he scores those goals against teams that stick men behind the ball which is something I don't feel anyone else on the team does. I'd also add Walker to my list of vital players, would hate to have to go back to Corluka out there.

So basically i'd say Modric is the most important, Bale is also highly important but not as much, then Van der Vaart and Walker.

Audere said:
Anyone that does't realise that Bale is our most important asset is an idiot.

i must be an idiot then,
fuck why didnt i realise before,

i always thought white hart lane was our most important and valuable asset

i also think modric could attract as much value (if not more) as that type of player is rarer, a fast winger with a decent cross is easier to find within 15% of bales ability

whats the importance of lewis/enic/levy ? i would rather have a well run club than a great winger....

anyway this idiot is going to go back to trying to lick my elbow, im nearly there
:ledleylick:

These past few weeks have made me realise how important Lennon is to the team. He is the 'final piece' of the puzzle to complete our midfield.

Without him, we look lost and all our pace comes from Bale, allowing defenders to double up on him, therefore we lose one of our most potent creative outlets. With Lennon on the pitch, things change. Defenders focus so much on Bale, that Lennon is (at times) unmarked when coming forward. He has also added coming in from the left to one of his many talents.

OK he might not exactly be prolific, but there were many factors that accumilated to our 'blip' these past few weeks and Lennon missing is one of the major ones.

Our biggest problem is suitable replacements who allow us to maintain our formation. That is easier said than done of course but I still think Hoilett from Blackburn can cover more than adequately for Bale and Lennon but my concern is whether Lennon is now someone who is likely to miss 1/3 of the campaign with injuries often, if so then we have a bigger problem.

dmarchantthfc said:

Actually the market value of WHL is very low......what else could you use it for?.....Even a housing development wouldn't be worth much

Bale is probably 'worth' more

Blanchflower said:
dmarchantthfc said:

Actually the market value of WHL is very low......what else could you use it for?.....Even a housing development wouldn't be worth much

Bale is probably 'worth' more

WHL as a property is probably worth as much as a Tesco Meal Deal.

Back
Top Bottom