Ballon d'Or

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Show me a goal where Haaland beats 3 defenders and dummies the keeper, most of his goals are tap ins.
Yes they are goals but he is nothing compared to Messi, or Harry Winks *

*sorry

Yeah, shouldn't really mix up a great goalscorer with a great player.

Haaland is a great goalscorer. But he's not the best footballer in the word. Which is what the award is for.

Mental that Messi has won it on the back of a tournament which lasted a month when Haaland was the Prem top scorer and his team won a treble,

I love Messi but it's obviously been given to him for sentimental reasons.

No but he's been one of their most important players and a massive reason why they won the treble though.

He scored loads of goals. Didn't net a single one beyond the quarter finals of any of the competitions they won however.

If anyone other than Messi were to win it and it had to be from City, it wouldn't have been Haaland for me, personally.

He scored loads of goals. Didn't net a single one beyond the quarter finals of any of the competitions they won however.

If anyone other than Messi were to win it and it had to be from City, it wouldn't have been Haaland for me, personally.

Haaland broke the Premier League record for goals in a season, most goals in a debut season, first player in the Prem to score 3 consecutive hat tricks, most goals scored by a PL player in all comps, CL top scorer as well etc...

Also if we're using the logic of him not scoring in key matches after QF's, PSG got knocked out of the 2nd round of the CL which Messi played, blanked twice against Bayern, got knocked out of the French Cup in the last 16 as well, Messi blanked and then he fucked off to the US bossing a league levels below him.

Messi only won in because his team won the world cup which is a huge feat but that tournament is only played one month of the year and let's face it Argentina only turned up for 6 matches because they were dog in that Saudi match, he shouldn't be judged on that because it's a seasonal award anyway.

At the end of the day we know what these awards are, they're a popularity contest but there's no reason why Messi couldn't have been given the Super Ballon D'or like they gave to De Stefano which is essentially a lifetime achievement award.

You can say that about Rodri, Dias or many other players in that team.

And so you could, but goals will also weigh heavier on how matches are decided than anything else or any other contribution, that's why goal scorers are respected and always recognised the most in these types of awards and rightly so, when was the last time a CB or DMF got awarded with a Ballon D'or?

Last edited:
Mental that Messi has won it on the back of a tournament which lasted a month when Haaland was the Prem top scorer and his team won a treble,

I love Messi but it's obviously been given to him for sentimental reasons.
If France had won on pens, Messi probably doesn’t win this. If Messi was Norwegian and Haaland Argentinian, Messi probably doesn’t even play in the WC.

Just a weird way to award what is supposed to be for best player.

If France had won on pens, Messi probably doesn’t win this. If Messi was Norwegian and Haaland Argentinian, Messi probably doesn’t even play in the WC.

Just a weird way to award what is supposed to be for best player.

It's based on sentimental reasons

Garanteed if Messi won the treble whilst breaking all these records and Haaland dragged his country to a world cup victory they'd still find a way to give it to Messi lol

Messi was always winning this years prize. It wasn’t even just that Argentina won it, it was the manner in which they won it. Regardless, this will be his last one so at least there’ll hopefully be some variety from hereon

Haaland broke the Premier League record for goals in a season, most goals in a debut season, first player in the Prem to score 3 consecutive hat tricks, most goals scored by a PL player in all comps, CL top scorer as well etc...

Yet I'd still have awarded it to de Bruyne over him. Probably even Rodri tbh.

Also if we're using the logic of him not scoring in key matches after QF's, PSG got knocked out of the 2nd round of the CL which Messi played, blanked twice against Bayern, got knocked out of the French Cup in the last 16 as well, Messi blanked and then he fucked off to the US bossing a league levels below him.

It wasn't logic I'd base it on. I was just pointing out the fact that they didn't need his goals to ultimately. win a treble.

I don't think it should matter how many goals you score. Kane isn't suddenly a better footballer because he went to a shite league and scored more goals.

It should go to THE BEST FOOTBALLER IN THE WORLD. Which is most definitely not Erling Haaland in my opinion, when you consider he isn't even the best footballer in his league, or his own team.

Messi only won in because his team won the world cup which is a huge feat but that tournament is only played one month of the year and let's face it Argentina only turned up for 6 matches because they were dog in that Saudi match, he shouldn't be judged on that because it's a seasonal award anyway.

That's absolutely why he won it and I agree without it he doesn't. Whether be deserved it or not is based on that is a matter of opinion. His peers thought he did.

At the end of the day we know what these awards are, they're a popularity contest but there's no reason why Messi couldn't have been given the Super Ballon D'or like they gave to De Stefano which is essentially a lifetime achievement award.

Agreed.

Football returns to normality now though. Top records will remain unbeaten for decades, ballon d'ors will be shared around numerous players and Messi's worst seasons in his declining years will still be most footballers best ever.

Messi was always winning this years prize. It wasn’t even just that Argentina won it, it was the manner in which they won it. Regardless, this will be his last one so at least there’ll hopefully be some variety from hereon
Yeah they will probably find a way to give it to Ronaldo next year for sentimental reasons, assuming he scores a bucketload of goals in Saudi.

Yeah they will probably find a way to give it to Ronaldo next year for sentimental reasons, assuming he scores a bucketload of goals in Saudi.

He finished 20th in 2022 and didn't even crack the top 30 this time round.

The only way Ronaldo has a hope in hell is if he drags Portugal to a European Championship.

Yet I'd still have awarded it to de Bruyne over him. Probably even Rodri tbh.

It wasn't logic I'd base it on. I was just pointing out the fact that they didn't need his goals to ultimately. win a treble.

I don't think it should matter how many goals you score. Kane isn't suddenly a better footballer because he went to a shite league and scored more goals.

It should go to THE BEST FOOTBALLER IN THE WORLD. Which is most definitely not Erling Haaland in my opinion, when you consider he isn't even the best footballer in his league, or his own team.

That's absolutely why he won it and I agree without it he doesn't. Whether be deserved it or not is based on that is a matter of opinion. His peers thought he did.

Agreed.

Football returns to normality now though. Top records will remain unbeaten for decades, ballon d'ors will be shared around numerous players and Messi's worst seasons in his declining years will still be most footballers best ever.

? Considering they've been trying all these years to win the treble and the CL despite having better teams including the centurions I'd argue they did need his goals to win those trophies - that is literally the point isn't it? City brought him in to get over the line and he made more than a worthy contribution.

Also this award shouldn't only go to the best player in the world otherwise it's pointless having them, if you're not going to be fair purely on the basis of players aesthetically passing the eye test then what's the point?

That means if Haaland goes up against Mbappe every year from now until they retire and have similar seasons or if Mbappe doesn't win anything domestically and wins another WC for France whilst Haaland does another treble then Mbappe should always win it because technically he's a better 'player'? - All these years Ronaldo went up against Messi he didn't deserve them now on the basis of him not being a better player than Messi? Seems awfully subjective and unfair.

Back
Top Bottom