Ballon d'Or

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

? Considering they've been trying all these years to win the treble and the CL despite having better teams including the centurions I'd argue they did need his goals to win those trophies - that is literally the point isn't it? City brought him in to get over the line and he made more than a worthy contribution.

Perfect storm of City getting stronger and every other top team in Europe declining.

His goals contributed but I wouldn't say they dragged City over any meaningful line.

Interestingly, if the World Cup was a deciding factor, Alvarez probably had a better shout.

That means if Haaland goes up against Mbappe every year from now until they retire and have similar seasons or if Mbappe doesn't win anything domestically and wins another WC for France whilst Haaland does another treble then Mbappe should always win it because technically he's a better 'player'?

I think along with being a great player, I think influence and how they perform in their biggest games should be factored into it also.

It's why Messi and Ronaldo won so many. Their goals were secondary. It was their influence for the most part (along with, as we've agreed, it being a popularity contest).

It's also the exact reason Benzema won it the year he did. Those clutch moments, those big moments. The level he went to.

Don't even think Haaland has even matched that.

- All these years Ronaldo went up against Messi he didn't deserve them now on the basis of him not being a better player than Messi? Seems awfully subjective and unfair.

Whenever Ronaldo won the awards, he deserved it. His importance in those Real Madrid CL wins and his big game aura was frightening.

Again, no disrespect to Haaland, but he's never had it. Even this season, he's so far behind Bellingham.

Perfect storm of City getting stronger and every other top team in Europe declining.

His goals contributed but I wouldn't say they dragged City over any meaningful line.

Interestingly, if the World Cup was a deciding factor, Alvarez probably had a better shout.

City got stronger because of players like De Bruyne, Rodri, Haaland etc..so that shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Every other team in Europe declining isn't City's or Haaland's fault either besides why can't I use the same argument for Messi's world cup win? How many good teams were in the World Cup? How many teams did they beat where you'd consider them to be top nations? And why should that take away from their win?

And I agree on the balance of fairness Alvarez ought to really have been awarded this trophy.
I think along with being a great player, I think influence and how they perform in their biggest games should be factored into it also.

It's why Messi and Ronaldo won so many. Their goals were secondary. It was their influence for the most part (along with, as we've agreed, it being a popularity contest).

It's also the exact reason Benzema won it the year he did. Those clutch moments, those big moments. The level he went to.

Don't even think Haaland has even matched that.

This is actually fair although I'd still argue that Messi doing it in 6 games in albeit the biggest tournament in the world is a really small sample size, again don't forget that Messi did nothing in the CL for PSG, the same competition that Haaland outscored and also at the same stage where Messi blanked his goals took them through to the QF.

Whenever Ronaldo won the awards, he deserved it. His importance in those Real Madrid CL wins and his big game aura was frightening.

Again, no disrespect to Haaland, but he's never had it. Even this season, he's so far behind Bellingham.

Ronaldo was a bad example but my point about Mbappe stil stands

The question is in your eyes will Haaland ever deserve the award? Doesn't seem like it.

I thought Beckham spoke very well about his friend Sir Bobby.

Messi deserved it I thought. Have to attach a lot of weight to the WC, and he was immense in that tournament.

Bellingham looking good for it next year (so far)

2024 Ballon d'or mate.

I think Real Madrid could quite easily win the Champions League. He's already having a record breaking season for the biggest club in the world and if England go far, even potentially win the Euros than I'd say he was a guarantee.

He's the talk of the town, players will hate playing against him but love playing with him and once you've got a hype machine behind you, you're on your way.

Kane has no chance. Bundesliga is seen as a bit of a joke league. Same reason why no one from Serie A will win the award either. You have to really go above and beyond (treble) to really have a shout. Lewandowski came close (and tbh probably should have won)
Ironically the Bundesliga is not really much more (if any) of a joke league than La Liga, but it doesn't have Real/Barca or the weather and glamour.

Agree Bellingham is on to smash it.

Haaland should have played for England. Imagine him and Kane up front??

Mental that Messi has won it on the back of a tournament which lasted a month when Haaland was the Prem top scorer and his team won a treble,

I love Messi but it's obviously been given to him for sentimental reasons.
And rightly so for one last time to honour an unbelievable player,probably the last of the street players we’ll ever see. His performances in the World Cup were class.

And rightly so for one last time to honour an unbelievable player,probably the last of the street players we’ll ever see. His performances in the World Cup were class.

He joined Barca and moved to Spain when he was just 13......... Having already been at Old Boys for 5 years......

Hard to consider that a street footballer.

For me

1. Rodri
2. Haaland
3. Mbappe
4. Messi
5. Kane
I scrolled down and down the list... but still couldn't find Richarlison !

1. Rodri
2. Haaland
3. Mbappe
4. Messi
5. Kane
20,456: The Bird Man of Alcatraz
20,457: Mick Robinson, from Magpie
20,458: Big Bird
20,459: Eddie The Eagle
20,460: The cast of Pigeon Street...
20, 461: Richarlison!

...oh there he is!

I scrolled down and down the list... but still couldn't find Richarlison !

1. Rodri
2. Haaland
3. Mbappe
4. Messi
5. Kane
20,456: The Bird Man of Alcatraz
20,457: Mick Robinson, from Magpie
20,458: Big Bird
20,459: Eddie The Eagle
20,460: The cast of Pigeon Street...
20, 461: Richarlison!

...oh there he is!

Pointless post

Pointless post
You're pointless!
p0955xrz.jpg
...but yeah, cheap shot, i'll admit! ...even though I was joking!!​

Last edited:
What’s hard to understand about street footballer! It’s a term used when I was younger that it was an off the cuff skilful player who played for the fun of it all and spent most of the time in the street playing football. Kids don’t play on the streets now!
Fuck me,even people want to argue about something trivial like that!

Last edited:
Messi is always deserving of a balon Dor.

Greatest player I think we'll ever see.

He just sees a picture before when it's not even there.

What’s hard to understand about street footballer! It’s a term used when I was younger that it was an off the cuff skilful player who played for the fun of it all and spent most of the time in the street playing football. Kids don’t play on the streets now!
Fuck me,even people want to argue about something trivial like that!
I don't think kids were playing more in the streets - certainly in this country - any more when Messi was 10 years old. It's only the late 90s we're talking about. I can't recall the streets being full of kids doing 360s and so on back then??? If anything the streets were a bit more hostile then. Kids do play in recs, playgrounds, parks and so on. Some on the streets too!

Back
Top Bottom