Bayer Leverkusen v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lloris
Walker - Wimmer - Vertonghen - Rose
Wanyama - Dembele
Lamela - Alli - Eriksen
Son
I'm hoping we decide to go with Wimmer for this one. I know Dier is right footed and has played centre back in the past but that's not his position anymore and should only EVER play there if we have no other centre halves available. We need to get used to one of Wimmer/Vertonghen playing right sided centre back, especially if Alderweireld is going to be out for a while and we may as well start as soon as possible.

Other then that, the team picks itself. Janssen will find it hard to get another start in Europe or the League on current form in my opinion, will most likely start against Liverpool in the League Cup but not in our next two that's for sure. I think Dembele will come back in for this one as long as he stays fit and doesn't pick up any injuries during training.

1-1
Son

Big game needs a Big performance .
For me, its a great opportunity to get Dier back involved, he has seems a little off lately-this could revive him.
Janssen (Dutch) against the Germans, all day for me.
These are a beatable, German mid table team. Dembele doesn't warrant a start as yet for me.

.......................Lloris
Walker -Dier - Vertonghen - Davies
..................Wanyama
......Lamela - Alli - Eriksen - Son
....................Janssen

This LCB must be left footed and RCB must be right footed myth that has for some reason been created over the last couple of years has taken a whole life of it's own.

CB's can generally play either one.

Nesta/Cannavaro? Both right footed
Desailly/Blanc? Both right footed
Gentile/Scirea? Both right footed
Puyol/Pique? Both right footed
Baresi/Costacurta? Both right footed

Best for last...

King/Dawson - Both right footed

I don't know where this myth was created, but it's irked me for a while. Yes, there are preferred sides, but it's definitely not based on preferred foot and definitely doesn't mean they can't play the other.

It's absurd to think some would trust Vertonghen at left back before right sided centre back.
What happens if your both footed (play with both feet)?

Wanyama cannot play every match and we need Dier to play in midfield holding role or we are back to last season with no cover for that position. Winks can play League cup but not this one. Therefore Wimmer should play. He has played for Austria and had not played much when forced to come in for Vertonghan last season. Dele and Eriksen who both played 90 mins Saturday will probably have to play both matches but I think Poch will try and limit the number of players playing all 3 matches for 90 mins.

I'd be very surprised if Dier didnt start at CB. He's the more trusted and complete player in the manager's eyes.

Also as an ex CB himself Poch clearly likes his CB's to be able to lead with their stronger foot and although a modern player should be able to make a ten yard pass with their weaker foot (i'm looking at you Lamela!) in a position such as CB where the smallest mistake can be heavily punished, and with modern defenders expected to always play out of trouble, players will always make instinctive decisions with their stronger foot.

They need to be comfortable playing the ball first-time and clearing/playing out spontaneously. If you're leading with your weaker side, there's a much higher chance of making a mistake.

Obviously you can cite a number of excellent CB partnerships where both were right footed, but that's always going to happen as there are very few left footed CB's to chose from. Im sure the percentage of right to left side preference is about 80/20 and even then left handed people aren't always left footed as well.

For anyone who's interested,

Our under 19s are playing bayer on BT sport 1 tomorrow at 3pm.

We have lost both games 3-2 so far. Not sure if it was a good idea to put ossie ardiles in charge?

Back
Top Bottom