Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I quite like Ben but he has benefited from playing two positions that we just haven't had many options.

Certainly since Rose left our LB options have been poor. And other than Jan we haven't had any other decent left footed CBs in a decade. He's never been peak Rose or peak Jan, but he's easily been the best of the rest who have played in those two positions.

I think that's a testament to his ability and hard work. Almost nobody considers Davies to be world class, but he's a great squad and utility player for. Sure, he's had the benefit of us having a lack of options, but pretty much any time he's been called on he's been solid, or been better than whatever crap he was filling in for.

He's been through multiple coaches, played multiple roles/positions, and kept his place through multiple players coming who were potentially coming in to take his spot. We're not going to build a statue for him or anything, but he's probably been one of the most underappreciated players in the team.

I think that's a testament to his ability and hard work. Almost nobody considers Davies to be world class, but he's a great squad and utility player for. Sure, he's had the benefit of us having a lack of options, but pretty much any time he's been called on he's been solid, or been better than whatever crap he was filling in for.

He's been through multiple coaches, played multiple roles/positions, and kept his place through multiple players coming who were potentially coming in to take his spot. We're not going to build a statue for him or anything, but he's probably been one of the most underappreciated players in the team.
Agreed.

Not world class player. Not the best in his position.
But reliable option and dedicated professional.

I'd agree but issue is I don't see Dier happy with a squad role at this stage in his career/ego.

He will kick up a fuss and try to move in Jan if he barely plays.

I think he will remain a starter sadly.
dier would have to drop levels to be a reg starter. what club in the prem would realistically take him into their first 11? no top half team imo. hed end up like dele, once they cotton on to how shit he is hes finished. he wouldnt wanna leave here, theres a lot of deluded people associated to the club.

"I got sent the list of names of all the players that have made over 300 appearances and to be honest, being mentioned anywhere near those names, with the players on there, it's incredible. It's something I never dreamed of and it's something that I'm incredible proud of. To have boys like Hugo and Harry and I think we've got Eric and Sonny on there too and they're still with us. It's something that makes me very proud."

and there lies the problem.

"I got sent the list of names of all the players that have made over 300 appearances and to be honest, being mentioned anywhere near those names, with the players on there, it's incredible. It's something I never dreamed of and it's something that I'm incredible proud of. To have boys like Hugo and Harry and I think we've got Eric and Sonny on there too and they're still with us. It's something that makes me very proud."

and there lies the problem.

Respect Ben Davies or kiss my backside.

The best ability a player can have is availability.

Ben is almost always available to play. In the 8 years that he has been at Spurs he has missed a total of 351 days due to injury. Or 57 games if you want to use those numbers instead. His longest individual injury spell was 81 days so he has never really been out for longer than 3 months at a time. (All of these numbers are courtesy of Transfermarkt).

He's available, adaptable and solid. Most coaches are going to love having a player like that in the squad. Even if he isn't a given fixture in the starting 11 you know that you have a reliable guy on the bench.

we do. however hes not seen as a squad player hes seen as a first 11 right now. thats the problem.

With Rodon, Lenglet, Sessengon, Reg & Perisic failing to nail down their respective positions; rather than getting bogged down in 'first XI/back-up' labeling. you ought to be thankful that Ben is here to step up and cover their slack.... (Just like he did when Rose was injured for a long period and we went on to have our best run of form in the modern era).

Who did? ..........Ben?

He's a fairly smart guy, so there must have been a lot more context to that comment.
yes Ben Davies in the documentary asked the most obvious and pointless question to Eriksen and Kane and they couldn't be bothered to even respond properly. Even the producers must have had a proper laugh about it as it made the final cut.

Nice guy and again I dont mind him as a back up option. In a perfect world though I would shift him but being that we have more pressing issues he's ok as a back up.

yes Ben Davies in the documentary asked the most obvious and pointless question to Eriksen and Kane and they couldn't be bothered to even respond properly. Even the producers must have had a proper laugh about it as it made the final cut.

Ah, well... We all say stupid shit, I guess.

Nice guy and again I dont mind him as a back up option. In a perfect world though I would shift him but being that we have more pressing issues he's ok as a back up.

Lets say we get 2 shiney new CBs in the summer and one of Reg or Sessengon(*) are fancied by the new boss; I'd still keep Ben on the firm whether we play 3CBs or 2CBs.

(In terms of pecking order)

Rom RCB
NEW CCB
NEW LCB
+ Davies (LCB)

Udogie LWB1
LWB2 (*see above)
+ Davies (LB or LWB)

He's simply useful to have around. I'm wondering if Emerson can assume that mantle in the coming seasons tho...... If he can switch between RWB/RB, RCB & emergency LB then that'd be a result. Having at least 1 player like this can help squad numbers.

Back
Top Bottom