Big Match Revisited

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Big Match Revisited on ITV4 now...
Coming up:
Man City v Spurs
...I won't ruin the ending, but it WAS 1977.... only a few days before relegation was confirmed.... So I'll let you work out what happened!

Funny ITV chose THIS match to show today?? Of ALL the games in history to go for...
They seem to like the 1976/77 season for some reason!

Big Match Revisited on ITV4 now...
Coming up:
Man City v Spurs
...I won't ruin the ending, but it WAS 1977.... only a few days before relegation was confirmed.... So I'll let you work out what happened!

Funny ITV chose THIS match to show today?? Of ALL the games in history to go for...
They seem to like the 1976/77 season for some reason!
The reverse fixture was my first ever game.

2 - 2

Hope this isn't a duplicated thread :)

It's Spurs v City from 1979 tomorrow ITV4. Unfortunately I don't know if it's the 0-3 or 2-1 that year. I think it's also repeated on Friday.

Fair comments 1882 :)

I remember us beating Pool about 71, I think just before Keegan arrived. They had hadn't won anything for a few years. Chivers and Peters, massive stars in those days, scored for us. and we looked to have a better future than them.

alas it wasn't to be.

If only we had held onto Souness ...

The only plus point to that, was that he was never tempted into 'returning to us as manager' after his illustrious 10-year Spurs career!!!!

Hard not to agree! Since MacKay, we've never really CONSISTENTLY replicated the NO NONSENSE, HARD MAN midfield enforcer, apart from Roberts in the '80s...

and I guess the game has moved on now and we're no longer in need of a midfield enfor... oh, hang on a second...

:sandro: :parker:

FOUND SOME!!!!
Like it:thumbup:

Had Pleat not sold Roberts in 86, the 87 team might have won something that season. I guess there was 'creative tension' between the two of them.

I loved Roberts. My second favourite player as I was growing up.

I thought Ruddock was pretty good for us as the hard man too. I remember him belting vinyl jones once at a corner. Jones spun around snarling saw it was razor and backed down. He got some stick off the fans after that, well more stick.

Our hardest player now, if the rumours are true is Dempsey. He's an absolute nutter by all accounts and respected throughout the league as one of the toughest.

I thought Ruddock was pretty good for us as the hard man too. I remember him belting vinyl jones once at a corner. Jones spun around snarling saw it was razor and backed down. He got some stick off the fans after that, well more stick.

Our hardest player now, if the rumours are true is Dempsey. He's an absolute nutter by all accounts and respected throughout the league as one of the toughest.

If I was to bump into one of them in a dark alley one night I'd rather it be Dempsey than Kaboul.

That man is an absolute unit.

It's one of the reasons I so like Clint, is he's got that street fighter edge to him.

Just saw us play Manure in the FA cup in 79. Perryman, hoddle, ardiles and villa and some cloggers. Surprisingly Mark Kendall was in goal. There were at least two cast iron penalties for us ignored. Ardiles got scythed, I mean properly scythed, today it would be a red card, but back then just a play on. Hoddle had his 'tache, Don Macallister almost scored twice! and Lacey and Naylor both cleared off the line. Manure fans threw a bottle on the pitch. Not a small one but a bloody great big old beer bottle.

It was only when I was hoping to see us get a winner that I remembered that manure got tothe final in 79 :avbfacepalm:
Oh and the tunnel was still towards Park Lane.
Finished 1-1. Ardiles got a great header. They bundled one in from a corner.
Yep I'v seen that one on the series.

The next year we got our revenge and Ossie scored the winner at OT, but that was on BBC

Good points, but I think you're underestimating our status at the time.

The Big Match was a London/SE programme. Not only were we a big club in the country, we were relatively bigger in London than we are now. In the period of the Big Match, late 60s to early 80s, IIRC, we were the second biggest club in the London region. So we were on plenty of Big Match games, and not just against big clubs. We were a big club in our own right so games against lesser clubs like West Ham Chelsea and Crystal Palace saw us featured on Big Match programmes. I've got some great games from a Big Match revisited CD I have somewhere.

However for some reason, a lot of the good stuff of ours hasn't been shown on this TV series.

For example, I'm 99.999999% sure that our 2-2 classic at Upton Park about 1968 was on the Big Match, but I haven't seen that one shown anywhere since. Maybe my memory is playing me tricks. Ditto the superb 2-2 v Man U about 1970, again for some reason not shown.Then there was our win against City with Hodd's superb goal about 1980, again not shown. Or our superb win and goal v Brum in the FA Cup about 1980, again not shown but I'm sure it was on the Big Match at the time.

There are loads of games that I remember us being on the Big Match, winning or drawing in superb games that aren't being shown. Anti-Spurs bias, I know not. But I agree with 1882, we don't seem to be getting a fair crack of the whip on this series. I wonder if they've played our defeat of Liverpool 2-0 about 1971 in the series?
Classic Peters head from a classic Knowles cross.

17 yr old Neil McNab debut, bought by Bill Nick from Morton (?)

Cyril Knowles studio guest

Edit: how could we have been so crap that season?

Team was:

Jennings
Knowles
Beal
England
Perryman
Coates
McNab
Peters
Chivers
Duncan

Chivers subbed off but was suffering with a high temperature, Alfie Conn came on, 3 Scots on at the same time

Terry Neill the manager
In the dug out for the Barcodes - a certain Mr. Keith Burkinshaw

This was just a bit before my time (started supporting in 81).

Did those that were supporting when we were relegated see it coming, was it just down to bad management, crap players or were there lot's of injuries?

A mate of mines always says KBs only mistake was thinking Daines was the better option as Pat was past it(yeah,right)...
i would add to that ,not playing Alfie enough.he seemed a fringe player the short time he was there after Keith took over.
I think Jennings missed a lot of the 76/7 season through injury so I think the club thought they had seen the best of him and added to the relegation let him go / as you say a big mistake.
My biggest regret was not seeing my hero of the day Alfie conn play live - he was well out of favour and I’m sure I read in the programme he was dropped for indiscipline such as slagging the management off

I think Jennings missed a lot of the 76/7 season through injury so I think the club thought they had seen the best of him and added to the relegation let him go / as you say a big mistake.
My biggest regret was not seeing my hero of the day Alfie conn play live - he was well out of favour and I’m sure I read in the programme he was dropped for indiscipline such as slagging the management off
I think i saw him play once, maybe twice. Definitely once though.

I wouldn’t mind a season in the Championship now-it would bring many absolutely fantastic away days!!
I was still a teenager growing up in Northern Ireland during our relegation so missed out on those glorious away days.I am so so envious of those who made the trip to the Dell,Southampton on the final day (can anyone who was there please share any stories) Another away day that season which looks amazing on the YouTube footage is Mansfield (3-3 draw,I think?) Would love to hear any stories from that day too.
I know us older supporters have a tendency to look back with rose tinted glasses but those 70/80s away days really were truly special.COYS!!!

Back
Top Bottom