Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Johnson has been awful. His decision making and passing is too slow. He can’t cross and he has poor close ball control, He would do better in a team that plays on the counter and allows him acres of space to run at opponents. He is probably barely even scraping it as a Premier League player. €50 milion or whatever Spurs paid is a terrible investment.

If Spurs want to go to that next level of competing with the top 3 they are going to need better stock than Johnson and Sarr. Don’t be blinded by one or two half decent performances, it’s not just his consistency that is a problem it’s his fundamental ability.
Awful is OTT.

He's missed some sitters. So have others.
He's also scored and assisted at important times. More often than a lot of others.
I've noticed as well that a lot of his glaring misses are wide of the right post. It almost feels like he's playing wider than he's used to, so when he gets the shot off, he's outside the post rather than inside.
I think the best finishers in the game don't look at the goal. They have a sense of where they are on the pitch through practice and know what angle to shoot for to hit the target. If you them move them 10 yards to either side, the angles are wrong.
Not saying he's one of the best finishers, obviously, but it does look like his angles are all wrong because he's wider than he'd usually be.

Johnson has been awful. His decision making and passing is too slow. He can’t cross and he has poor close ball control, He would do better in a team that plays on the counter and allows him acres of space to run at opponents. He is probably barely even scraping it as a Premier League player. €50 milion or whatever Spurs paid is a terrible investment.

If Spurs want to go to that next level of competing with the top 3 they are going to need better stock than Johnson and Sarr. Don’t be blinded by one or two half decent performances, it’s not just his consistency that is a problem it’s his fundamental ability.
He's not been awful at all. He's an end product guy, he'll always get goals and assists, don't think he'll ever give really great 90 minute performances that a full back will dread facing. Good squad player, not great if we plan to go forward with him as a first eleven fixture, but he works harder oop now and provides obvious threat. Would like if he bulked up a little upper body, and added a bit to his game.

He’s a good option as our 3rd/4th wide player and is still young enough to improve and be a better fit in our system. Also a bonus that he’s HG for Europe.

It’s frustrating that he can’t seem to beat a man 1on1 and doesn’t have any tricks up his sleeve that panic opposition defenders.

Hopefully we can bring in a couple top wingers this summer which he can learn from and still get plenty of minutes in league and Europe.

He’s a good option as our 3rd/4th wide player and is still young enough to improve and be a better fit in our system. Also a bonus that he’s HG for Europe.

It’s frustrating that he can’t seem to beat a man 1on1 and doesn’t have any tricks up his sleeve that panic opposition defenders.

Hopefully we can bring in a couple top wingers this summer which he can learn from and still get plenty of minutes in league and Europe.

Yeah we need someone like Grealish or Doku who on the best team in the world (checks notes)....

Grealish
20GP 3G 1A (1 lmao)

Doku
29GP 3G 8A

Johnson
30 GP 5G 10A

I'm sorry people are frustrated watching him and he's not the player to dance by people, but results win matches.

Yeah we need someone like Grealish or Doku who on the best team in the world (checks notes)....

Grealish
20GP 3G 1A (1 lmao)

Doku
29GP 3G 8A

Johnson
30 GP 5G 10A

I'm sorry people are frustrated watching him and he's not the player to dance by people, but results win matches.
We aren’t going to improve with BJ as our 1st/2nd choice wide player next season. Especially now we have Europe. Like I said he has scope to improve and is a good squad player currently.

How many minutes have those 3 players played instead of just appearances? I think Grealish is massively overrated personally. If we don’t improve our forward players this season I think we’re in trouble, more games and the 3 teams below us won’t be as bad next season.

Grealish
20GP 3G 1A (1 lmao)

Doku
29GP 3G 8A

Johnson
30 GP 5G 10A

We'd be a more effective side with Grealish or Doku ahead of Johnson despite those stats.

There's a reason they are at City and Johnson is not.

Defo keep hold of Johnson. Nowhere near as bad as some try to make out, and improved as the season went on.

I think he'd be a good choice to bring off the bench though or rotate. We definitely need more starting quality on the wing.

We'd be a more effective side with Grealish or Doku ahead of Johnson despite those stats.

There's a reason they are at City and Johnson is not.
Grealish I don't know, always seems to me he's overrated, but Doku certainly would improve us massively. What we need on the wings is players with more resources, Brennan doesn't have many and he made bad choices most of the time.

Johnson has been underwhelming in terms of performances but undeniably effective in terms of goal contributions. He needs to improve next season (and I think he does). Nonetheless we should be signing at least one top winger and one top striker minimum this summer so he would likely be on the bench next season. I don’t see how people can discredit his impact from the bench this season, and if we have someone performing well and pushing him to the bench then we will have great options. People live to moan about his price tag but he’s young and home grown so he will cost money. After years of complaining that we don’t spend enough, maybe we can survive overpaying for a player or two.

At Forest his strong point was his finishing so not worried about that at all tbh. My concern prior to him joining was that I didn't think he had the ability to provide that many assists in his locker and the guy got 10 league assists which is insanely good (and I can think of another 3 or so where he laid it on a plate). Only Watkins (13) and Palmer(11) have more assists.

Hes had a good first season and will improve a lot in the coming years.
...is the correct answer.

Grealish
20GP 3G 1A (1 lmao)

Doku
29GP 3G 8A

Johnson
30 GP 5G 10A

But he also gives the ball away constantly that puts us under pressure by putting teams on the counter attack.

They won’t have a stat for that. Expected counter attacks for opposition(10 XCAFO at least per game)

The same can be said for Sonny. They will produce for us but can we not expect even more. Players that can keep the ball,link up,create and score. That’s not too much to ask is it?

3rd or 4th choice at nearly £50m
:levyeyes:

But he also gives the ball away constantly that puts us under pressure by putting teams on the counter attack.

They won’t have a stat for that. Expected counter attacks for opposition(10 XCAFO at least per game)

The same can be said for Sonny. They will produce for us but can we not expect even more. Players that can keep the ball,link up,create and score. That’s not too much to ask is it?

So just one of those "It feels like he gives the ball away and puts the entire team under pressure" things

He's also very effective in our press, to my eye/gut (I've not checked the individual stats to back this up at all, so going off feeling and vibes) he's the one forward that seems to consistently win the ball back high up the pitch.
yeh which was a complete contrast to his earlier showings with us where his defensive work left a lot to be desired. He has improved on that side immensely as the season went on.

He is ok at the high press when we're doing it, but his tracking back and work in deeper areas is fucking awful. Just watch yesterday.

Yeah just like those two that helped catapult Woolwich into title challengers after years finishing below us.

Zinchenko is shit (the scum fans hate him!) and Jesus has been in and out injured for the last two seasons.

Saka, Odegaard, Saliba etc. maturing into top players are whom elevated that team; not those two.

Back
Top Bottom