Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Johnson is definitely a case where the stats mislead the reality.

We are a team now where basically all the attacks get built as combinations through the wings. They're either crossing the ball in, or coming in for a tap in from the other side. Rinse and repeat a hundred times a game.

By law of averages if you try this umpteen times each game every game then you'll get something right. And if you are playing every game you'll get some alright stats.

That goes for Johnson, that's why Timmy Werner put some stats up, dozens of other bang average PL (or lower) wide players would get a return under these tactics, you could probably get Aaron Lennon out of retirement for 10 goal contributions a season, I'm sure there are even decent amateur footballers in the crowd you could pluck out for a few G/A's tbh.

Johnson has one reasonably effective trick - run in a straight line and hopefully someone finds you with the through ball. He's then been programmed to quickly cross it across the box. That's it. He can barely control the ball, he does little in way of passing, he can't dribble past an opponent with any type of skill, and his finishing has been pretty haphazard. He sometimes presses well at random moments, and going the other way his tracking back is absolute dog muck.

We've got to be doing better than this, we're simply wasting our time if we don't go into next season with two new wingers, on either flank.

And if that one trick was enough for 10 goals and 15 assists per season?

Not a bad fucking trick is it...

I agree tbh, feel like its the weakest area of the team.

Do feel there is a place for kulu, Johnson and son in the squad next year. But we need some proper star quality up there
There is a place for them but especially Johnson and Deki must be subs to push whoever we sign. Sonny could still hit much higher levels than those two but he needs to be used a lot less.

every forward we have right now should be squad players next year. we need better if we want to compete for majours simple as that.
The elephant in the room that many won't admit.

We are currently just about 4th place quality. Unless we upgrade the forward line we will remain so. Kulu/Richy/Johnson are not going to suddenly become elite. Son is only good for half a season these days.

Has to be the full focus of this window.

The elephant in the room that many won't admit.

We are currently just about 4th place quality. Unless we upgrade the forward line we will remain so. Kulu/Richy/Johnson are not going to suddenly become elite. Son is only good for half a season these days.

Has to be the full focus of this window.
yep, then you see we are linked with hudson odoi lol.

richy, and kulu if he could actually find form again are ok if youve pinned a side in and are getting the ball into the box. son is ok if playing a side that is going to leave space in behind, johnson could be beneficial then to. but lets be honest, we need players that can play against all sides and cause damage. liverpool have had forwards that can do that in the last 5-6 years. salah, mane, diaz...they can all play on the counter and in tight spaces.

its time the scouting network actually earn their dough and go and get some genuine quality!

i wouldnt even bother with werner, not even for 15m. ironically hes probably the one most suited to counter and tight spaces, but his end product is not good enough! we cant keep stacking and hoarding shit!

Exactly. The stats and numbers are misleading to an extent. His all round game is poor and can’t take a man on and get the better of his opponent. He’s not technically great,poor finisher,weak when a defender goes aggressive on him and he lacks bravery.
His numbers tell you that he will always contribute but that’s where I think Ange’s system must take a lot of credit. If he could do those things I mentioned his numbers would be through the roof. Will he grow and improve and get to those then only time will.
Think need to look at the stats in relation to the oppo and game situation at the time. Could you rely on him v top 6 side with s ore 1-1 in 80th min to pull something out the bag? He scores tap ins which is ok if we can get to the byline and cross the ball. Can he ping one in from 20 yards. Can he beat a player then pass to another player who provides the assist?

Shouldbt be too hard on him just yet. Hes 21. Had a fairly decent season imo. Were a way bigger club than florist so our expectations are very high. Young players need confidence building. I think hes a top prospect. Shouldnt be too hard on him. If he waa 27/28 then critism maybe valid. Theres a lot more to come from him imo.
He will be 23 on 23 rd may.

Ball control, pressing, passing, dribbling, game intelligence, hold up play, through-balls, strength in the tackle, ability to kick the ball with his wrong foot, shooting from more than 5 yards out, ability to finish from one yard out, hit a cross over knee height, ability to cut inside...

You know, the usual things people want from their wingers.
100%.
It’s the attitude of some fans who accept mediocrity and can’t see beyond the 2 yard tap in. Also look at some of the so called ‘assists’. Eg for Porro the other week it wasn’t as if the pass to Porro led him to score. It was just a pass to another spurs player infield. Porro made it goal by bursting forward say 30 yards and smashing it. No way is that an assist. The whole assist thing is BS. The kdb done a few weeks back where he curves the ball around the defenders with outside of right foot is an assist. Same with corners you can’t say that is an assist. If you take a 100 corners one or two made land on a team mates head and go in others. Majority will end up no where.

He's also very effective in our press, to my eye/gut (I've not checked the individual stats to back this up at all, so going off feeling and vibes) he's the one forward that seems to consistently win the ball back high up the pitch.
Not sure when you have seen that? I see mainly son running around at the front. Also don’t think he really tracks to much effectiveness.

Yeah we need someone like Grealish or Doku who on the best team in the world (checks notes)....

Grealish
20GP 3G 1A (1 lmao)

Doku
29GP 3G 8A

Johnson
30 GP 5G 10A

I'm sorry people are frustrated watching him and he's not the player to dance by people, but results win matches.
Not sure where he was in the recent batterings we have had. Only seems to do it v relegation fodder.

I re-iterate my earlier point that Johnson has been rubbish. Particularly the last 10 or so games where he started at RW in favour of Kulusevski, he migt have chimed in with some goals and assists, but his general play was Championship level. The truth is he is nowhere near Tottenham level, not even close. I wouldn’t even put him down as a squad player. Unlike Werner you can’t even bring him on for energy, he doesn’t have the speed or eye for a cross. Most of his crosses find the opponents rear end. His positioning is ok so we will find the net semi regularly particularly through sheer weight of possession and territory. But there are 50 other EPL, Championship and lower league players who could offer the same and do more in general play, and don’t cost anywhere near €50 million. He is, at best, a €15 million player.

Another season or two won’t turn him around either. He lacks the fundamental qualities. You just can’t develop ball control and passing in an off season, he’s 23 now, he is nearing his ceiling which is probably lower EPL upper Championship. He could honestly player for Boro and he wouldn’t stand out at that level. Poor Spurs got ripped off badly. Spurs would be best to shop him around to other clubs, based on his marketable 15+ goals assists whatever. They could get maybe €25 mil, his value will only drop when he doesn’t play much next season.

The question is this. is Johnson the kind of player you want to compete with City, Gunners and Liverpool for EPL title ? The answer is a resounding no. He’s got to go.

Yeah we need someone like Grealish or Doku who on the best team in the world (checks notes)....

Grealish
20GP 3G 1A (1 lmao)

Doku
29GP 3G 8A

Johnson
30 GP 5G 10A

I'm sorry people are frustrated watching him and he's not the player to dance by people, but results win matches.
Some of the takes in here are absolutely wild. Someone in his first season with the club, in which everyone was coming to grips with a new manager and system, he scored or assisted a full 20% of our goals - our 2nd highest total in the last 30 years.

Be lucky to get a match for Orient, though.

:pocheyes:

100%.
It’s the attitude of some fans who accept mediocrity and can’t see beyond the 2 yard tap in. Also look at some of the so called ‘assists’. Eg for Porro the other week it wasn’t as if the pass to Porro led him to score. It was just a pass to another spurs player infield. Porro made it goal by bursting forward say 30 yards and smashing it. No way is that an assist. The whole assist thing is BS. The kdb done a few weeks back where he curves the ball around the defenders with outside of right foot is an assist. Same with corners you can’t say that is an assist. If you take a 100 corners one or two made land on a team mates head and go in others. Majority will end up no where.
Totally agree on the assist thing. People used to question Modric’s numbers but he’d take the ball in a tight position,wriggle away from a couple of players then play a pass between centre back and full back for Lennon to cut back for a a striker to tap in.
Lennon or whoever would get the assist when it was all down to Modric. That’s when this assist thing annoys me. Assists for a corner is shit too.

I re-iterate my earlier point that Johnson has been rubbish. Particularly the last 10 or so games where he started at RW in favour of Kulusevski, he migt have chimed in with some goals and assists, but his general play was Championship level. The truth is he is nowhere near Tottenham level, not even close. I wouldn’t even put him down as a squad player. Unlike Werner you can’t even bring him on for energy, he doesn’t have the speed or eye for a cross. Most of his crosses find the opponents rear end. His positioning is ok so we will find the net semi regularly particularly through sheer weight of possession and territory. But there are 50 other EPL, Championship and lower league players who could offer the same and do more in general play, and don’t cost anywhere near €50 million. He is, at best, a €15 million player.

Another season or two won’t turn him around either. He lacks the fundamental qualities. You just can’t develop ball control and passing in an off season, he’s 23 now, he is nearing his ceiling which is probably lower EPL upper Championship. He could honestly player for Boro and he wouldn’t stand out at that level. Poor Spurs got ripped off badly. Spurs would be best to shop him around to other clubs, based on his marketable 15+ goals assists whatever. They could get maybe €25 mil, his value will only drop when he doesn’t play much next season.

The question is this. is Johnson the kind of player you want to compete with City, Gunners and Liverpool for EPL title ? The answer is a resounding no. He’s got to go.
Can’t really argue with that. There’s nothing that stands out with him. He’s quick but doesn’t use it enough. He wants to come to the ball more than run in behind. He plays to his weaknesses more than to his one strength.

Back
Top Bottom