Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we received a bid for this lad from abroad to the sum of what we initially paid (£50mil?) I would expect most would take it.

Would like to think he could still come good and become a £100m player, though the likelihood of that is much lower than 50/50 from what I have seen so far.

Don't think he's been as bad as some people over react and make out still. Just.. I honestly think I saw more in Andros Townsend at that age.

Some of the comments on here already about Johnson make me cringe.

He hasn't pulled up any trees but he's certainly not been a complete write off. I wish he would just trust his ability abit more, he seems half hearted in some of the things he does.

He's gone from playing one season in the Championship and a relegation battle in his first Premier season to playing pretty much week in week out with us.

What is he? 21/22? He has alot of potential which I think will come good. £50m price tag never helps.

There was a loose ball today which he was definitely able to win, not even a 50/50, but he stopped and let AWB gain possession. It was fear.
I think this is the consequence of referees not protecting our players. A number of players have injured ours because opposing players have slid in two footed and cleaned out our players standing leg. No wonder our players will decide the pain and absence isn't worth it and pull out.

We need to start holding referees to account for this, either publicly or via back channels.

Waddle was pretty poor for 18 months, loads saying get rid. He then became one of the best Spurs players most of us ever saw

Defo persist with him; there's a very pacy player there. Winger is a tricky position, you're very exposed, very visible. I'm sure there's a high celiing there.

I also remember seeing fan fav Ginola being marked out of several games by some fairly journeymen defenders.

BJ was able to make enough space to put some dangerous crosses in, annoyingly a couple were overhit with players in the middle. I did get annoyed with a late cross straight into the keepers arms, Richi was perfeclty placed.

If we received a bid for this lad from abroad to the sum of what we initially paid (£50mil?) I would expect most would take it.

Would like to think he could still come good and become a £100m player, though the likelihood of that is much lower than 50/50 from what I have seen so far.

Don't think he's been as bad as some people over react and make out still. Just.. I honestly think I saw more in Andros Townsend at that age.
He's 22 and already been involved in goals and chances for us regularly this season.

He looked like he had stage fright yesterday

He's 22 and already been involved in goals and chances for us regularly this season.

He looked like he had stage fright yesterday
He's chipped in a few times sure, which have flattered his overall game at times.

That stage fright you talk about has been every game I would say except his first few appearances.

Age is used like it's a definite barometer of progress to come. It's not. Often players are at their best level early 20s and do not improve further, especially ones that are reliant on pace.

He's chipped in a few times sure, which have flattered his overall game at times.

That stage fright you talk about has been every game I would say except his first few appearances.

Age is used like it's a definite barometer of progress to come. It's not. Often players are at their best level early 20s and do not improve further, especially ones that are reliant on pace.
The point about age is that he's not had long enough at under performing to show he's at his best yet.

Someone like Dier at 29 was obviously never going to improve so no point persisting. Harry Winks was 26 when we sold him and had gone backwards from 22 if anything.

He may click into gear he may not, but I wouldn't give up just yet as there is, IMO, something there.

The exact opposite. His numbers could have been much better with a minute bit of luck i.e., Son offside assist vs chavski, miracle Everton boot deflecting a tap in goal, offside goal on debut (and plenty more).

2 or 3 more of those goal involvements added to his season tally and people wouldn't feel half as bold to say some of the shit they are saying right now.

Christ, just seen a 'highlights' reel of him yesterday on Sky - man, he was woeful.

Not been impressed with him before or since he arrived. Well overpaid for him.
Not sure why people are pretending this isn't the case.

Pay 30m for him, as squad player, looking to also bring better in, for 1st 11... then, hmmm, ok, could stomach that, more.

Not his fault we paid the fee, mind.

But, you just look at Cole, Kudos etc who we could have got (with change) for what we spent, here.

Just doesn't make any sense.

Weird purchase.

Hope it works out, long term, tho.

Looks like a good kid.

His dad had some grit about him, and was a hard worker, when he played iirc, so maybe he can steel him up a bit and get his head right for what we need from him.

Just coming into this thread briefly to say that anyone writing him off and wanting rid of him already are absolute pricks of the highest order.

I understand the criticism (when it's constructive, not 'get rid') but time is on his side. Could be we bench him and bring him off the bench to have an impact in the last 20/30 minutes for a bit.

He's young and was bought with the knowledge that he's got a lot of work to do but ultimately has the potential to be a very very good player for us.

He didn't choose the fee we paid. We chose to pay that much.

He's going to be with us for years to come so fucking deal with it, support the lad, and hope that with time and training he comes good. I've seen enough of him playing for Wales and Forest to believe he's got 'it'.

Some of you need to learn a bit more patience, and stop viewing everything so 'black and white'.

EDIT: A disagree from troll WHL1882 just means that I'm definitely right.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Last edited:
Not sure why people are pretending this isn't the case.

Pay 30m for him, as squad player, looking to also bring better in, for 1st 11... then, hmmm, ok, could stomach that, more.

Not his fault we paid the fee, mind.

But, you just look at Cole, Kudos etc who we could have got (with change) for what we spent, here.

Just doesn't make any sense.

Weird purchase.

Hope it works out, long term, tho.

Looks like a good kid.

His dad had some grit about him, and was a hard worker, when he played iirc, so maybe he can steel him up a bit and get his head right for what we need from him.

Most of that is very reasonable to be fair to you.

Just coming into this thread briefly to say that anyone writing him off and wanting rid of him already are absolute pricks of the highest order.

I understand the criticism (when it's constructive, not 'get rid') but time is on his side. Could be we bench him and bring him off the bench to have an impact in the last 20/30 minutes for a bit.

He's young and was bought with the knowledge that he's got a lot of work to do but ultimately has the potential to be a very very good player for us.

He didn't choose the fee we paid. We chose to pay that much.

He's going to be with us for years to come so fucking deal with it, support the lad, and hope that with time and training he comes good. I've seen enough of him playing for Wales and Forest to believe he's got 'it'.

Won't be responding, and popping this thread on ignore until some of you fickle lot grow the fuck up.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF
I agree. I think he will be a good player for us,he needs and deserves time to settle in.

That chance at 1-1 on the counter should be a PL winger's bread and butter, he skys the cross well over Richarlison. Got to step it up he wants to be a mainstay in the team.

Back
Top Bottom