Brennan Johnson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sometimes fans can be bastards we know this. But fans will very quickly pick up on some whos not giving his all and doesn't put his body on the line for the club. And that's what is happening here
It seems like there is always one player people focus on. The upside is people were really down on Emerson Royal and now he's a productive player. Personally, I was very much negative toward Richarlison and he seems to be coming around. Players aren't ever as good as people think when they are up or as bad as they appear on the downside. I understand your point with Johnson. There was one time in particular in the Man United game when he seemed to quit on a ball, or at least misread it badly. But he's young and I think with his pace he'll fit in. When Son returns there is going to be a lot of competition for places across the front and I think he'll be better for having to work harder for his spot.

So why do some people say his an Ange type player? His no where near and is certainly not brave enough with or without the ball.
maybe because people (correctly or incorrectly) think Ange personally signed the player. Was that an Ange signing or Pariticci's? But in any case - he does look completely different in Forest colours.
He does looked lost and forlorn playing in a spurs Jersey.

I have watched a whole reel of highlights in his previous club - looks different.

I hope Ange bench him a little from now on for his own good.
p/s I doubt he 'd have attracted this much attention if not for the 50M price tag..i.e. the 50M neck brace

maybe because people (correctly or incorrectly) think Ange personally signed the player. Was that an Ange signing or Pariticci's? But in any case - he does look completely different in Forest colours.

I have watched a whole reel of highlights in his previous club - looks different.

p/s I doubt he 'd have attracted this much attention if not for the 50M price tag..i.e. the 50M neck brace
Reckon Ange will have a little fatherly talk with him if it continues:

"Mate... You're not worth 50m. No one is. Won't do you any good dwelling on made up numbers. So just get over it, go on and do what you know and be a man worth your boots instead."
*Good ol' slap on the back accompanied by a big grin

It’s all the time tbh

I went to watch from 60-75m and didn’t see it. Not saying it didn’t happen but I can’t find an example yet.

i think ange will be sick of him in a years time and we will be offloading him. his philosophy is weakened if you got meek characters out there. he might get next season then i think well end up taking a hit on him to get rid.

we need passionate animals like romero, porro and richy who will run through brick walls for the team, not players dodging any physical contact.

If he was ducking challenges you’d think Ange would be sick of him already. The fact that he isn’t probably means he doesn’t see Johnson as a “coward” like some do on here.

It seems like there is always one player people focus on. The upside is people were really down on Emerson Royal and now he's a productive player. Personally, I was very much negative toward Richarlison and he seems to be coming around. Players aren't ever as good as people think when they are up or as bad as they appear on the downside. I understand your point with Johnson. There was one time in particular in the Man United game when he seemed to quit on a ball, or at least misread it badly. But he's young and I think with his pace he'll fit in. When Son returns there is going to be a lot of competition for places across the front and I think he'll be better for having to work harder for his spot.

Best post in this thread.

It’s thing that could be studied in football fans. Has to be a human thing that we have a default to look for a perceived weak one in the group.

This Johnson thing is weird though because he’s been a lot more productive than the most recent scapegoats were when they were getting it.

Well that is the issue though isn’t it? We have payed a lot of money for a few players over £50M and none have really been rip roaring g successes. I think Johnson we all see that for the money we paid there were plenty other options and may be cost less if we got someone from Europe. He cost £50M had one season already in PL and has played over 200 games so his not inexperienced. We sold that this guy is what we needed. Well he has to show that with his ability on the ball and off the ball. His shown nowhere enough to justify being a £50M player. Ok a few crosses here and there but has really set the world alight?

Well that is the issue though isn’t it? We have payed a lot of money for a few players over £50M and none have really been rip roaring g successes. I think Johnson we all see that for the money we paid there were plenty other options and may be cost less if we got someone from Europe. He cost £50M had one season already in PL and has played over 200 games so his not inexperienced. We sold that this guy is what we needed. Well he has to show that with his ability on the ball and off the ball. His shown nowhere enough to justify being a £50M player. Ok a few crosses here and there but has really set the world alight?

We weren’t sold anything. The 50m is irrelevant.

Is the player talented enough and working hard enough?

Yes Johnson is talented enough. He’s possibly the fastest player in the prem, has a top class first touch and has already had output from assists that show his crossing ability off either foot.

Yes he’s working hard enough and the manager has gone out of his way to say how much the players are giving to the team.

//// We weren’t sold anything. The 50m is irrelevant.

50M is very relevant for Spurs
If it is Chelski -then its peanuts

I meant as fans we weren't sold anything and the 50m isn't relevant.

But thinking about it, I'm also being a massive hypocrite because I don't want to give chavski 50m for Gallagher and I'm not sold on him as a player at all....

but I still think Johnson is getting way too much grief compared to the effort and talent he's bringing. He's not N'Dombele.

i think ange will be sick of him in a years time and we will be offloading him. his philosophy is weakened if you got meek characters out there. he might get next season then i think well end up taking a hit on him to get rid.

we need passionate animals like romero, porro and richy who will run through brick walls for the team, not players dodging any physical contact.

Probably best you stop trying to think.

Yeah there could be something there. My point was more you spend Jack Clarke money on a player like Johnson, and Johnson money on a player like Kulusevski or Maddison.

If a club made a £50m bid for him, I would most likely take it and let it be their gamble. For that price a player ought to be a shade closer to, or more guaranteed to become the finished article.

Hell, we could've sold Dele for £160mil or something at one point. Gets to those 'peak years' people refer to when talking about young players and it was hard to shift him on a free transfer.
Dier, when a bit quicker off the mark in his younger years could have gone to Man Utd or somewhere for probably £60mil+. A lot of players 'showing potential' at a young age are actually at the top of their games. I can think of more examples off the top of my head where that has been the case rather than the Harry Kane model where they do keep improving.
Sadly the market just keeps getting more and more skewed. Johnson is probably a £30m player tops, but he's homegrown and had x years remaining on his contract. That inflates it to almost twice his actual value.

I think for now, he's done enough in a limited amount of time to earn patience. It might click, it might not. But when you compare his imput to date to, say, Gil, he's miles ahead IMO. I can never quire figure out why so many are so happy to keep persisting there.

Sadly the market just keeps getting more and more skewed. Johnson is probably a £30m player tops, but he's homegrown and had x years remaining on his contract. That inflates it to almost twice his actual value.

I think for now, he's done enough in a limited amount of time to earn patience. It might click, it might not. But when you compare his imput to date to, say, Gil, he's miles ahead IMO. I can never quire figure out why so many are so happy to keep persisting there.
I suspect with FFP/P&S or whatever it's called hitting hard this season, we may see some reversals as clubs realise they cannot spend beyond their means and therefore transfer fees/wages cannnot be as high as City, Utd and Chelsea made them to be.

Gil is a flop for us. I was still hoping at the start of the season. Will Ange wave his wand so to speak and make him stronger? No. He's just not a PL player. Cost us a fortune as well. Needs to go in the summer, and tbh with Werner and Solomon, we could offload him in Jan if we can.

In the wise words of Tommy 'Dorian' Johnson: "Leave it out, he's only a kid ain't he?"

Bbc One Gameshow GIF by BBC

The lad ain't responsible for his hefty pricetag nor his wages, that's between clubs, agents etc. Saying he should already be a world beater cause he cost X and earns Y...nonsense!

But yeah sure, as a pro footballer representing Spurs, he oughta give his best for the club, his manager & coaches, teammates, us fans...and yeah it feels as though there are occasions where he doesn't leave it all out on the field.

Still time, though. Let him do some growing up. If he hasn't yet, he'll realise soon enough that you can't cut corners if you wanna make it at this level. And let's not forget we have one of the best man managers in the business...Ange will find a way to get him there. Knowing he's also got top pros like Kulu, Roddy & Sonny to mentor him & keep him in check.

Boy is 22, was playing League One football only 2 or 3 seasons ago, now at a huge club but one recovering from years of shite & getting used to a totally new philosophy. Pressure from media, fans. Now living in the big city (with all its temptations), away from the uber familiar cocoon of Nottingham. It's a lot to take in for a kid.

Gil is a flop for us. I was still hoping at the start of the season. Will Ange wave his wand so to speak and make him stronger? No. He's just not a PL player. Cost us a fortune as well. Needs to go in the summer, and tbh with Werner and Solomon, we could offload him in Jan if we can.
Gil has to go down as one of the worst bits of businesses the club has ever done.

Bought him for what, 30 million plus Lamela?
He was pretty pony.

We then loaned him BACK to Seville, where he went on to win a Europa League alongside Lamela! :ange-facepalm2:

But Sevilla then sent him back to us because they didn’t see enough in him to take him permanently, and let’s be honest, he’s been pretty god awful ever since. As you say, never ever ever a PL footballer.

The signing of Gil was such bad business if you don’t laugh about it you’ll cry.

I went to watch from 60-75m and didn’t see it. Not saying it didn’t happen but I can’t find an example yet.

If he was ducking challenges you’d think Ange would be sick of him already
. The fact that he isn’t probably means he doesn’t see Johnson as a “coward” like some do on here.
He ain't ducking challenges. Ange would sack him if he were.
More made up bollocks by the usual suspects.

Back
Top Bottom