Brentford fc vs TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR/ Sun 13th 14:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've only seen brief highlights and will be deep diving on Spursplay. But I've seen us gift two goals which cost us 2 points. The first by Son who should know not to be clumsy in the box and the second was an own goal by VDV who didn't realise his keeper had it covered. 2 points unnecessarily lost.

Went to the pub where I had a lovely turkey roast. Only problem the commentary was turned up when the game started, so I just plugged in my headphones, no way could I put up with the inane chatter for two hours!
As for the game, I didn't fall asleep or spend most of the time on my phone, so that was a plus.
I thought we deserved a win but considering that was Ange's first PL game, and a team that hadn't played together all that much, thought the performance on the whole was good.
I'm optimistic that once things start gelling, we will play better and we reap the rewards.
Big shout out to Biss, Madders and Destiny, they were magnificent. Not going to go too hard on the forward line but they do need to up their game, based on today's showing. Maybe once they get on each other's wavelength, we will see a big improvement.
First game under our belt, bring on Yanited!

Last edited:
Yes they play against some crap teams in Europe but on the same note European national teams play better opponents more regularly with Nationals League, Euros, etc.

I would argue that European national teams get way many more competitive games than teams in South America per year. I think that is not even debatable imo.

Other than Argentina, Brazil really don’t play anyone of note (Uruguay are crap recently).

You don’t know what you’re talking about mate.

Lots of top national sides lose at Bolivia. They play at 3,500 meters. Not to mention the distances they travel for games. Nothing like EUFA.

Your qualifiers are shit. The top teams qualify basically automatically.

Nations League is okay.

The Euro cup is a big deal to you? They play Copa America every two years.

They measure the strength of each confederations. It’s called a confederation coefficient.

I believe CONMEBOL is ranked ahead of UEFA.

Son in 75 minutes (well more like 86' if we're couting the extra time) had 2 crosses (0 accurate), and 2 dribble attempts (1 successful). 0.05 expected assists.

Perisic in 15 minutes had 3 crosses (1 accurate), and 3 dribble attempts (3 successful). 0.16 expected assists.

It's clear who deserves to start, it's clear who deserved to start since pre-season, but we know who will start next match, same as last season.

Perisic at his age is perfect for that sub role.

I think more will come. He's doing what is asked of him.

Want him to get a couple so people can move on.
I also want him to get a couple but in the evidence we've seen, it's not going to happen without a massive upturn in form.

27 premier league appearances and 1 goal to his Spurs career.

I've seen nothing that makes me suddenly think he's going to be a 20 Premier League goals a season man.

He didn't even track back that well today and normally joined in defence about 45 seconds after Brentford were attacking. And when he did track back it was a gentle slow paced jog.

Needs a massive improvement.

Is he a striker or not? If he's not then who is in our team?

Last edited:
Alright but we need a starter who can play on the left wing, and Son doesn't seem to be it.

It's one to watch with Son if his form doesn't improve.

Brentford were very very deep today. He didn't make poor decsions by not going 1v1, there was 2 defenders in front of him all the time.

I expect him to get more transition and 1v1 opportunities next week. Judge him against that imo.

Richy and Son weren’t the best combo but it’s gonna take some time for them to learn to play together. Ange’s style will give us a little more leeway because where conte was essentially making the strikers be hyper clinical, Ange provides more opportunities and more scoring options.

I think Udogie and Perisic worked together better than Son up on the left?

Likely an unchanged side for next week, but if we fail to deliver quality balls to Richy, then move Son central and give Perisic a game on the left in front of Udogie?

It's one to watch with Son if his form doesn't improve.

Brentford were very very deep today. He didn't make poor decsions by not going 1v1, there was 2 defenders in front of him all the time.

I expect him to get more transition and 1v1 opportunities next week. Judge him against that imo.
Well if we're gonna play attacking, possession based football then we need to get used to teams sitting deep against us.

I wonder will he try and blood in young scarlet. Ferguson is around the same ag and probably has the same ability,
Difference is that Brighton can afford to gamble whereas we can’t it seems

I didn't see Sanchez as Good. I saw him as better than usual but still way off being Good. He unfortunately just doesn't have the ability to read a game.

If you didn't have your preconceived bias against the guy and he was called Franz Carlos, you would have been screaming for him being a starter.

Swallow your pride and admit the guy had a good game

Richy was woeful

His first touch and shooting were awful today.

He had two chances today that should have been buried, the first shot was hit straight at a Brentford player and the second shot also hit a Brentford player as well .....but thank God it did as it was headed for the corner flag.

If we don't get another striker in this season, were going to have an awfully hard time scoring.
He wasn't great but I thought Brentford did a solid job keeping our front three from causing damage.

I had a quick read of the matchday thread in their forum and the general consensus seems to be that they thought they could have afforded to be a bit less conservative and not play five at the back. I think they could have been in for a shock if they hadn't.

Son in 75 minutes (well more like 86' if we're couting the extra time) had 2 crosses (0 accurate), and 2 dribble attempts (1 successful). 0.05 expected assists.

Perisic in 15 minutes had 3 crosses (1 accurate), and 3 dribble attempts (3 successful). 0.16 expected assists.

It's clear who deserves to start, it's clear who deserved to start since pre-season, but we know who will start next match, same as last season.
I think Ange is tougher than that....

The Vic bashing a bit odd, okay a couple of shaky moments but he also made 3/4 very good saves and had decent hands to catch balls from the air.

He also wasn’t afraid to mix it up and go long and when he did he basically hit the opp pen area. I’m pleased enough with him, if not blown away

Back
Top Bottom