Bryan Gil

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And there's nothing wrong with this. My problem isn't with him, it's with the fans who have convinced themselves there's "a player there"

And there's nothing wrong with this. My problem isn't with him, it's with the fans who have convinced themselves there's "a player there"

Maybe not in the traditional sense. He probably doesn’t have a great engine and isn’t physical enough for most EPL teams. I can’t see him bombing up and down the pitch all day whipping in crosses. But if Spurs want to go to that next level, they need players with quick feet, excellent touch and incisive passing at short range. That is a rare commodity in world football, but possibly the most important in terms of transitioning from perennial underachievers to actually winning things. Once the system is embedded in the players, the goals and assists follow. Its why player who dont normally score and assist much suddenly light up the stats sheet under Ange’s system. Gil simply hasn’t been given the opportunty.

Maybe not in the traditional sense. He probably doesn’t have a great engine and isn’t physical enough for most EPL teams. I can’t see him bombing up and down the pitch all day whipping in crosses. But if Spurs want to go to that next level, they need players with quick feet, excellent touch and incisive passing at short range. That is a rare commodity in world football, but possibly the most important in terms of transitioning from perennial underachievers to actually winning things. Once the system is embedded in the players, the goals and assists follow. Its why player who dont normally score and assist much suddenly light up the stats sheet under Ange’s system. Gil simply hasn’t been given the opportunty.
I've seen none of that from him.
Certainly not any better than players in our squad that are physically capable of playing in the PL.
He's very average. There's not one single part of his game that stands out giving him any right to command minutes or the weird admiration he garners from fans.

I've seen none of that from him.
Certainly not any better than players in our squad that are physically capable of playing in the PL.
He's very average. There's not one single part of his game that stands out giving him any right to command minutes or the weird admiration he garners from fans.
I agree with this generally. I will say he is obviously skilful, possessing a good touch and feet. But you cannot be an elite player in the PL without physical strength. He's far, far too weak.

hes not powerful enough to play as a winger in the premier league. hed be more suited to coming more central, hes basically a wide playmaker, but in the prem where its physical you need him more central so his physicality doesn't get exposed as much as it does with him out wide.

bet hed do a far better job than kulu in that central role. he can get cornered with a touchline behind him, bring him central and its harder to bully him physically.

Lamela was levels better than Gillyboy tho. One rabona is worth more than Bry's contribution over the past 3 years.
Lamela was always injured and didn't have long on his contract. Talent isn't the problem, it was his transfer value, which many put at £20m+ when in truth, we probably were happy to release him.

It's also worth noting the rabona's were a requirement as he literally couldn't kick a ball with his right foot if his life depended on it. They were a way to get the angle of a right footed pass/shot/cross off, without having to actually use the right foot.

Lamela was always injured and didn't have long on his contract. Talent isn't the problem, it was his transfer value, which many put at £20m+ when in truth, we probably were happy to release him.

It's also worth noting the rabona's were a requirement as he literally couldn't kick a ball with his right foot if his life depended on it. They were a way to get the angle of a right footed pass/shot/cross off, without having to actually use the right foot.
I did like Lamela. Spiteful and skilful. Great combination 👍

For comparisons

final 3 years for Erik = 103 games. First three years for Bryan = 43 games.

Not sure how many games Bryan has started overall, but not many in the premier league I recall him starting so his 43 includes probably 50% appearances from the bench?

Lamela made over 250 appearances for Spurs. Gil won’t.

I agree with this generally. I will say he is obviously skilful, possessing a good touch and feet. But you cannot be an elite player in the PL without physical strength. He's far, far too weak.
The real questions are, will you get much for him if you send him away and will what you replace him with be better. Not a starter, but certainly could be a useful sub.

Our fans love this. Sissoko, royal, winks, hojbjerg, sessegnon, lo celso, ndombele, this fucking guy. The list is endless. Never learn.
Given your list, your user name is pretty ironic.

In other diminutive Portuguese winger news, one of his oldest mates was on security at Lisbon Airport when we were coming back from Benfica. It was quiet at the scanner so we had a yarn, lovely bloke.

I did like Lamela. Spiteful and skilful. Great combination 👍

For comparisons

final 3 years for Erik = 103 games. First three years for Bryan = 43 games.

Not sure how many games Bryan has started overall, but not many in the premier league I recall him starting so his 43 includes probably 50% appearances from the bench?

Lamela made over 250 appearances for Spurs. Gil won’t.
He won’t have started 10 games for us. It does get a bit windy in north London. He’s a pair of frilly knickers🤣

Back
Top Bottom