Bury FC.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a real sad state of affairs for one of the oldest clubs in football...

When you have the likes of "MADE-UP MK DONS" thriving, they shouldn't even exist... and yet traditional, historic clubs with GENERATIONS of fans are left to wonder if they'll even have a club tomorrow night.

I do wonder whether, like Bolton at the moment, and Accrington Stanley in years gone by, the North West just can't sustain the so called 'smaller clubs' who are now really are suffering from the two LEVIATHONS in Manchester...

Let's face it, if Utd didn't already have the bulk of the Manchester area support, City have now hoovered up every last scrap, by enticing 'new fans' who otherwise MAY have supported the likes of Bury, Bolton or Accrington Stanley...
that includes people willing to invest as well... they look at the two glamour clubs down the road, and know their paltry investment, by comparison, will probably be lost in a sea of overheads and lost revenue.

Its just no longer viuable...
I suspect a similar fate could also affect smaller London clubs in years to come... you've just gotta look at the mess Leyton Orient were in not long ago to see ho w easily it can happen.

Gotta feel for the Bury supporters.

The League need to look at themselves and the rules. Seems like any old chancer is allowed to buy a club and take the piss.

The EFL need to hold their heads in shame, not that they are really bothered. Steve Dale has had 43 of his companies go into liquidation yet the EFL stood by and let him buy Bury for a £1. This is, I fear, the tip of the iceberg, Just a few weeks ago, there was a piece in the Times listing the 23 EFL clubs that had been in trouble last season, be it winding up orders, paying wages late, etc. That's virtually 1/3rd of the EFL.
I get that modern football is very much about the PL, CL etc but don't forget there are hundreds of lower and non league teams out there.

UTS , now we are back.
Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

More problems for the Club. Now with their training ground. The one that Man City used to have. Bury have appointed Paul Wilkinson. I heard a few names being mentioned. I did not think they would go for him. I bet the Shakers faithful were dreading them getting Owen Coyle. Hope they get themselves sorted and stay up.

Just read on the BBC site that Joy Hart, a former director of the club, has handcuffed herself to the drainpipe outside the office. It's really sad to see that the club could be gone in 48 hours, I really hope something can be done.
Apparently Steve Dale has been turning down offers that would save the club because he doesn't feel the offers are high enough.

I really feel that with so much money coming in from the premier league the FA should be doing more to support clubs in the lower leagues and work with owners to ensure they're run properly. I also think they should have some sort of emergency fund to make sure that players and staff are paid if a club falls into financial dire straits like this.
Defies belief that this could happen really with, as you say, all the money around in football nowadays.
Sad.

Just read on the BBC site that Joy Hart, a former director of the club, has handcuffed herself to the drainpipe outside the office. It's really sad to see that the club could be gone in 48 hours, I really hope something can be done.
Apparently Steve Dale has been turning down offers that would save the club because he doesn't feel the offers are high enough.

I really feel that with so much money coming in from the premier league the FA should be doing more to support clubs in the lower leagues and work with owners to ensure they're run properly. I also think they should have some sort of emergency fund to make sure that players and staff are paid if a club falls into financial dire straits like this.
The PL and FA are different entities, I don't think the PL give a toss about Bury to be honest.

The two bodies do have the same interests in relation to the success of English football but the Premier League is only concerned with the top flight of the professional game ,whereas the FA is concerned with all levels of the game, professional and amateur.

What do they do with a football club when it dies?
Talking from experience when my local club Hereford United died late in 2014, the record of games played that season was expunged, meaning any points gained by other teams against Hereford were lost, and every week one team didn't have a game to play.

Then a few individuals worked in conjunction with the Hereford United Supporters Trust (HUST) to set the wheels in motion to form a new club. for the following season, 2015/16. Prior to this, in the summer of 2014 Hereford had been kicked out of the National League Premier and had to drop two divisions to the Southern League Premier, due to not being able to satisfy the National League board that they had the necessary finance in place to complete the season. Because Hereford were in the Southern League Premier (tier 7 of the football pyramid) when going bust, the reformed club had to drop even further, to the Midland Premier, tier 9 of the pyramid. This is because the FA have a rule that all reformed clubs have to start at least 2 levels below where they were when they went bang. Effectively Hereford got relegated 4 divisions in little over a year.

The huge support for that level meant that Hereford were far greater than all the clubs at their new level, and achieved 3 promotions in three years, before eventually levelling out in the National League North (level 6). A lot of fans believe they have a divine right to go up again, but this is a really competitive league and I can't see Hereford getting out of it for some time, but at least there's still a club playing in the same stadium, in the same colours, with nearly the same name (the new club doesn't have "United" in its name).

I hope that Bury can do something similar, but my mate who is a Bury fan has fears that a phoenix club might not even be able to play in the town of Bury. Their stadium is currently owned by a company that does bridging loans, and the stadium is on prime development land. If the club goes bust, there's a possibility that it'll get sold off to a developer, rather than kept as a football stadium. Their supporters trust is in negotiations with this company, and apparently talks have gone ok, but I feel he's probably stringing them along.

If they can't get their stadium back then they'd have to groundshare with a smaller club in a neighbouring town, but that would likely see support drop off, and that's usually the difference that helps these clubs climb up through the lower leagues. They could end up doing a Scarborough, who played in Bridlington for 10 years, and never saw the kind of progress usually enjoyed by phoenix clubs.

I think their best bet is that somehow they're saved and somebody turns their fortunes around, but it's looking very very unlikely now

Perhaps predictably the complexities of the financial arrangements entered into previous chairman whose other companies are either in liquidate ion or threatened with the same plus done if the contracts entered into by the current chairman/owner ( eg 40% commissions paid when taking out multimillion pound debts) make Bury FC a nightmare to unwind, and the liabilities may be too great to allow Bury to be saved.

Hope a phoenix club arises from the Trainwreck - and FCA or someone looks at the actions of Chairmen and other Directors.

And the EFL agree to take on much greater responsibilities for regulating clubs including redefining owners acceptability and monitoring clubs finances ,- with the teeth to deal with any issues arising

The EFL have created this mess. Allowing a man to take ownership of a club when he was previously banned from company directorships and then pays players like jermaine beckford thousands a week....the regulation is laughable and not fair on the majority of EFL clubs who operate in their budgets.

I understand league one clubs receive around 1.4 million per season under the current broadcasting deals which should be more than enough to support a first team squad.

It's hardly new that clubs go bust ( Maidstone, aldershot, Hereford) but what is galling that the game is awash with money and the governance outside of the EPL is shocking. And the gap between the haves and have nots is widening, the championship is fast becoming the second tier of a premier league, clubs are spending 15 to 20 million on a player, drop to league one and two and it's a hand to mouth existence.....

Will there be a phoenix club?
There's bound to be something, yeah. The stadium was sold off a while ago though, so they were only tennants. Their landlord is a bridging loans company that probably doesn't give a shit about football, and would stand to make a packet on what would be prime housing development land in quite a residential area.

They'd probably end up having to play in a different town, and that would severely hamper the potential for success.

Back
Top Bottom