But Erik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do the Maths:

2015/16 - 70 points with Lamela
2016/17 - 86 points without Lamela
2017/18 - somewhere between the above two when Lamela plays a partial role in the season

The numbers clearly show we're better without him.

Being tough/dirty/having an edge etc are important qualities for CBs or DMs but less so for attacking players. The ability to change games, make things happen, score goals etc are more important for forward players.

You really don't understand Poch at all. You talk like he's obsessed with some simplistic gangbam pressing style. That's just one tactic amongst many. We were a more simplistic team in 2015/16 but evolved and developed into a more possession based team in the following season and were a much better team for it, a better team without Lamela. Better at counter attacking with the likes of Son.

Lamela has been given a lot of chances to become a starter again but hasn't taken them. He hasn't really had a single league game where he was the standout player, or do we have to continue with this bullshit that he still needs time because he's coming back from injury? Will this continue next season? And if a player really takes a season to recover from an injury them is that player really worth keeping?

I think when we do sell him and you see him playing in another team you'll be able to see the reality of the player he is. If he were in the opposition side, would he cause you sleepless nights? I think not.
Your stats are a joke mate. He's only been on the field on THREE losses this season, all three of these games he came on as a Sub, twice on 77 min, where we were already losing (2-0 & 2-0) and the third loss he was introduced on the 74th min against Juve when we were 1-2 down.

We've always been a possession team mate, before Poch too (ignore Sherwood as I've no idea what we were). Under Poch our ave possession for the year has been 54%-55%-56%-57%-56% so the needle has barely changed.

All my comments about him are about attitude, what he typifies, The biggest contribution Poch has made to Tottenham is he has changed our attitude and our mindset. A mindset that's exemplified and oozes out of every single poor of Lamela. No team can press without this mindset, it is the only requirement needed along with lungs.

I could bang on and on but there is literally no point it's been done a thousand times already.

I saw the great Steve Perryman last night. In his talk he explained how he was a ball player, a creative player with skill who adapted his game to be what the team needed when he broke in.

He sacrificed elements of his game to be what the overall team needed him to be. He felt that’s where young players tended to get lost. Not realising that If they can bring to the team what the team lacks they will play.

With that in mind, what do we lack (generally) effort, gile, spite, grit, malice and commitment to use definitive terms.

What does Lamela bring?

What has Lamela sacrificed to bring those qualities to the team? It could be nothing or it could be a lot.

& His quality in 15/16 should not be dismissed so quickly as to quote the final points tally as the reason he is not good enough in 17/18. He was brilliant that season.

2013/14 - He barely played, started only 3 league games. Tactic Tim completely refused to play him.

2014/15 - It was his first proper season under new Management. It was also the transitional season, most Players apart from Kane, Eriksen and Rose had an okay season.

2015/16 - He had an excellent season, easily 8/10 as roaming AM and turned up in a lot of key games including that Newcaste shambles on the last day.

2016/17 - He was easily one of our 3 best player in the first 3 months before the injury.

2017/18 - He is trying to reintegrate into the team again after being out for 14 months.

I like Lamela, works hard and when we are trying to break down a deep defence his little through balls and close control can really open it up. People want him to be a goalscoring wide player but he’s an attacking midfielder. Keeping him would be far more beneficial than the reasonably low price we’d get for him

I've always been a big fan of Lamela, but the comparison with Eirksen is stark. I still think we stick with him. How much would it cost to replace him? Probably a lot more than we would get for him. He seems like a team player and a good lad to have around the place. I still dream of a 20 goal season from him, but even I accept he may just be a bit part squad player now.

He’s a weird one. I like him but I still don’t really know how good he actually is. Or what he really is.

He’s good a tpicking a through ball, works his nuts off and presses from the front.

Considering the ball skill he has he doesn’t run AT the opposition anywhere near enough. He sidesteps players with his favourite skill but doesn’t penetrate as he’s taking players on.

He also doesn’t seem to provide any real goal threat which is also weird as he has the ability to. He’s a bit like Dembele in that sense but it last a pretty big flaw in a player playing that far up the pitch.

I think he’s a decent squad player and have no desire to see him shipped out. But equally wouldn’t be too upset if he’s upgraded upon.

Why are people still picking on this guy? He is clearly a backup choice for us. Being a sub is one of the reason a player can lose its identity. Every time he came on he had a different role to play, but mostly hes role was to press and/or shift the game into the oppositions half.
On the other hand we have Moura sitting on the bench when he clearly showed signs of the directness that we sometimes need.

He’s a weird one. I like him but I still don’t really know how good he actually is. Or what he really is.

He’s good a tpicking a through ball, works his nuts off and presses from the front.

Considering the ball skill he has he doesn’t run AT the opposition anywhere near enough. He sidesteps players with his favourite skill but doesn’t penetrate as he’s taking players on.

He also doesn’t seem to provide any real goal threat which is also weird as he has the ability to. He’s a bit like Dembele in that sense but it last a pretty big flaw in a player playing that far up the pitch.

I think he’s a decent squad player and have no desire to see him shipped out. But equally wouldn’t be too upset if he’s upgraded upon.
this is where I am.

Doesnt offer us a huge amount, but then isnt a waste of space like Sissoko.

An upgrade on him would be nice, but he will never be a starter for us regularly, which kind of makes me feel he needs shipping. We need to improve the squad, not keep it at the same level

It just baffles me that anyone would want rid of a player who works hard, has certain qualities, isn't even a starter and doesn't kick up a fuss.

Baffling.

Question...

Why did he start away v. Juventus and Chelsea?

The latter because Kane was injured and the former... Good question, why did he start away to Juve? They had players missing and were there for the taking. Son could have made the difference and got us the win I think.

If Lamela were an invention or a product a salesman good pitch a great product, as many on this thread do, but the reality of the product in action out on the field simply doesn't stack up. The latest example was Man City at home. He looked totally out of his depth.

The great performances this season, Liverpool, Woolwich, Man Utd, Madrid, have all been without Lamela.

The great performances this season, Liverpool, Woolwich, Man Utd, Madrid, have all been without Lamela.
And the great performances against Chelsea and Juventus came with him. Your point being?

If you're using the City games as examples of Lamela being out of his depth, I assume you will say the same of the rest of the teams who played that day?

Lamela wants the ball all the time and tries to be positive. Weirdly dragging the ball with the bottom of his foot like he’s been futsal training all his career, which I don’t understand.
I wouldn’t know his best position. Number 10, wide player, Eriksen’s role?
I actually really like that he tries to have a positive impact, and looks like he loves playing footy. Would like him to get a couple of starts before end of season.
That's a very good point you've made re: best position. I think the problem is that he hasn't had a consistent position, because he's versatile he gets moved about the pitch and obviously the injuries haven't helped.
What is his best position ? LW, RW CAM ?

this is where I am.

Doesnt offer us a huge amount, but then isnt a waste of space like Sissoko.

An upgrade on him would be nice, but he will never be a starter for us regularly, which kind of makes me feel he needs shipping. We need to improve the squad, not keep it at the same level

Right, so who do you get as an upgrade on him that won't be an upgrade on Eriksen, won't cost an arm and a leg and would actually be value for money? He'd need to be on affordable wages too mind you so set a budget of 50-90k a week realistically speaking.

puts us in a stronger negotiating position... silly not to take it up TBH. Don't think it makes a difference as to whether he goes or stays... that will come down to an offer and who they want in. i would like him to have a full season without injury. See if he can get back to his best
Agree with that to an extent. All contracts are just pieces of paper and mean fuck all in the scheme of things. Guess my main point is the language that has come out of the camp (his and ours) is at total odds to what is being speculated. In fact the speculation is there as a wish by some supporters, nothing more than that.

Back
Top Bottom