But Erik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

so 5 years to become a first team player.

that's quite amazing patience considering we've as a fan base binned off quite a few players a lot quicker who've gone on to do big things.

Stay off the glue.

- first season under AVB trying to learn the league but not getting played
- second season Poch arrives, slowly being integrated
- broken back out for 161 days (most of the season)
- back in the team, pre-season, has a decent season
- Hip injury, brother nearly dies, dog dies - season write-off and we're lucky he didn't top himself
- Back playing now after not having a pre-season

Not really sure what people expect but in that period were he had learned the league and was injury free he was one of our best players that optimised 'spurs' flare, drive and commitment.

Either Ox or Pedro would be improvement from Lamela for us. Pedro with his general speed and the speed in passing would make us light year faster and efficienr. But the guy GG personally thinks Lamela is hugely better than OX, so no point arguing any further from right there

This is how the article ends with

Lamela may be a good player, Lamela may well find a role for himself at a big club, but it just wont be at Spurs. It could’ve been great, but it wasn’t.

What is not to disagree so much.

Either Ox or Pedro would be improvement from Lamela for us. Pedro with his general speed and the speed in passing would make us light year faster and efficienr. But the guy GG personally thinks Lamela is hugely better than OX, so no point arguing any further from right there

No I don't want to argue either but I think my point was misconstrued. For me it's not important who the better player is out of Lamela/Ox/Pedro.

My point was that Ox and Pedro would still be squad players for Spurs and we cannot afford Squad players who wage demands are higher than our stars. Both Ox and Pedro are on six figures per week. Their wages would be comparative to Kane, Lloris and Jan. The club are never going to sign a £100,000 pw player who isn't an obvious improvement to the first 11. We tried it with Sissoko and it failed.

Lamela is not an obvious improvement either, Pedro is a much better player, Lamela/OX is a debate I guess. However he is cheaper. The original point was we could of got Ox or Pedro for the price we got Lamela, but it isn't true. Ox took at a wage drop to join Liverpool and is still on £125,000 per week. If he's on a five year contract then he's costing us 11-12 million more than Lamela does.

It comes down to wages, as frustrating as that may be, it's just fact. It's more important that Eriksen/Alli etc are given 6 figure deals and if that means that we have squad players like Lamela (or Moura) then so be it. Unfortunately we are not Man city and Man united and we can afford to stockpile players.

I guess in summary you could say I would prefer Lamela coming off the bench than Oxlade being our highest paid player.

He's continually talked about like a prospective youth team player with incredible potential yet he's 26 and in the prime of his career. Next year is always going to be the year he "explodes" but it's just the same year after year, and he's actually gone backwards in many ways. You're seeing more and more of the Lamela from his first season where he does a couple of rollovers then runs into someone and loses the ball. He's trying to up his game and get on the same level as Son, Eriksen etc but it just isn't there.
Yeah, people were saying he will improve us big time when he gets fit this season. Personally I don't feel we have improved with him & we don't particularly miss him. He is ok but nothing more. By far the most over-rated player on here.

Lamela is not the problem. Like almost everyone here say its good and bad Lamela and I guess its matter of who sees what more in him. Spurs has 2 major problems - Paying half and attackers not passing well to each other. Its hard to get over just 1 obstacle in todays super competitive football. But spurs has 2 major problems. Unless you improve at least one, we'll come up short everytime against tough and fierce competition because its like we are on thin ice that breaks when the going gets tough, and the bottom falls off.

Last edited:
Disagree. Love Lamela, love his attitude. He's not a starter but an excellent squad player. We need excellent squad players so it doesn't make sense to get rid.
He makes as much money as and Eriksen & Son.... It will be a waste to keep in in the bench. Sell him and get a young talent for cheap.

Last edited:
Lamela is our 6th or 7th highest paid player.

You lads really want to keep a expensive player to come off bench to play what?? like 8 to 10 games a season!?

Back
Top Bottom