But Erik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

this is where I am.

Doesnt offer us a huge amount, but then isnt a waste of space like Sissoko.

An upgrade on him would be nice, but he will never be a starter for us regularly, which kind of makes me feel he needs shipping. We need to improve the squad, not keep it at the same level
Lamela will be a better player next year with a full pre-season than he is this one.

There's your improvement.

Agree with that to an extent. All contracts are just pieces of paper and mean fuck all in the scheme of things. Guess my main point is the language that has come out of the camp (his and ours) is at total odds to what is being speculated. In fact the speculation is there as a wish by some supporters, nothing more than that.

Wouldn't disagree, also wouldn't try and second guess our transfers as you never can tell :levyeyes:

That actually doesn't prove anything. We've triggered contracts before only to sell the players days/weeks/months later.
Of cause, contracts are just pieces of paper, Walker signed a brand spanking new one and fucked off to City just weeks latter. It's the words used around Lamela's that I feel are more pertinent and the writer who has used them. Not sure there is another writer right now, who when he writes contract/transfer stuff (which is very infrequently) that I would pay a huge amount of attention too. Again, the language used plus that of the Club and that of Lamela's own camp have never suggested anything other than being here, this includes huge amount of speculation in his first two seasons, with constant links to Italy etc.

I feel that any speculation with him is fuelled predominantly by those that don't want him. Bardi's article is proof in point. e.g. the currently is zero speculation about his future, in fact it's the opposite, but because an article written says I don't think he has a future all of a sudden people are speculating about his future. Odd.

Stability of Management and the team is key to success and we have had that recently. The argument about the cost of replacing players and getting someone better is discussed with Toby but is relevant here. Toby will go for top money like Walker but we are unlikely to pay all of those funds on his replacement and his replacement will get higher wages than Toby is on now but not what is was offered. Aurier in my opinion has been a disappointment and yet Sanchez a success but new players are always a risk and sometimes it is better the player you know.
2/3 changes to the first team (not a foyth like player for the future) a summer really is the most we should look at and with everyone expecting Toby and Rose to go that only leaves one more option. Dembele? RB? Llorente replacements are options. Sissoko is also a target by some to go.
Is Lamela a success? Well his goal scoring for an attacking player is poor but if we sold him the changes of getting a better player from the funds he would attract and accept the wages we offer is slim. I just feel we have more pressing problems but if Rose and Toby stay then maybe.

Right, so who do you get as an upgrade on him that won't be an upgrade on Eriksen, won't cost an arm and a leg and would actually be value for money? He'd need to be on affordable wages too mind you so set a budget of 50-90k a week realistically speaking.

i'm not saying we go out and buy a ready made eriksen, we've very rarely done that .

we buy someone with promise and potential, players like Lamela and Eriksen 4 years ago. One turned into a star, the other and an average squad player

Lamela will be a better player next year with a full pre-season than he is this one.

There's your improvement.
so 5 years to become a first team player.

that's quite amazing patience considering we've as a fan base binned off quite a few players a lot quicker who've gone on to do big things.

that's quite amazing patience considering we've as a fan base binned off quite a few players a lot quicker who've gone on to do big things.
Maybe as a fan base, we're also learning that patience is key!
:pochsmirk::levyeyes:

Its not though is it. Being fair. He's been out for nearly 2 years of that. For the 3 he's played, he's improved when given a run of games.

Those people that pick on Lamela need to understand Poch knows him best and seems to trust him, therefore we need him.

Have grown to love lamela over the past couple of years...injuries were bastard hard on him and at precisely the wrong time...My only gripe is his terror of using his right foot more...there was a moment against Watford he looked left to play it but no support so just kinda drifted infield from the left
..and kept going and going and ended up passing it back..had he some use of his right peg he could have used it to good effect....no excuse not to be at least half decent with your weaker foot imo
:lamelaaghh:

Have grown to love lamela over the past couple of years...injuries were bastard hard on him and at precisely the wrong time...My only gripe is his terror of using his right foot more...there was a moment against Watford he looked left to play it but no support so just kinda drifted infield from the left
..and kept going and going and ended up passing it back..had he some use of his right peg he could have used it to good effect....no excuse not to be at least half decent with your weaker foot imo
:lamelaaghh:
Keeping onto the ball seemed to be a particular instruction from Poch to Lamela to see out the game. Unsurprising really considering our average form before Watford.

He starved Watford of the ball nicely.

He's continually talked about like a prospective youth team player with incredible potential yet he's 26 and in the prime of his career. Next year is always going to be the year he "explodes" but it's just the same year after year, and he's actually gone backwards in many ways. You're seeing more and more of the Lamela from his first season where he does a couple of rollovers then runs into someone and loses the ball. He's trying to up his game and get on the same level as Son, Eriksen etc but it just isn't there.

He's continually talked about like a prospective youth team player with incredible potential yet he's 26 and in the prime of his career. Next year is always going to be the year he "explodes" but it's just the same year after year, and he's actually gone backwards in many ways. You're seeing more and more of the Lamela from his first season where he does a couple of rollovers then runs into someone and loses the ball. He's trying to up his game and get on the same level as Son, Eriksen etc but it just isn't there.
Stop talking about Lamela like you've promised 4 times. He's ended you.

We as a "fanbase" binned off or we as a club/management? You appear to be mixing up the two.

It's his "mysterious" and fake injuries that have kept him out the side, it's really that simple.

IMO he’s got a pass for being Argentinian. He’s not even as good as Ryan Mason.if that’s the ‘enforcer’ role he has now...

I can see both sides of the argument re Lamela.

No doubt be brings a new dynamic when he comes on, is skilful in keeping possession and probably his best / most valuable asset is his " in your face " nature. Some valid points raised well in terms of a run of injuries.

Where I see him fall short, and it was evident on 2 clear occasions when he came on , is his peripheral vision. I refer to when he maintains possession trying to create something special surrounded by a row of defenders, and a quick look to his right against Watford there was an unmarked Trippier with hands up screaming for the ball.

A nice release in this case would have given Trips a free run and chance of crossing, yet Eric didnt even look at the option. It took my attention as ultimately he was dispossessed of the ball with no result. He plays in such a small corridor sometimes, that distracts from the option of a longer pass to " break up " parked buses. I understand that it his skill-set, and it does work from time to hime, but someone like Christian would pick up on these opportunities in a flash.

Good talented player... If he stays Im fine, but if not I wish him well. The only question should he depart, is depth.

Personally think Lamela shits all over ox and Pedro is on 100k a week which isn’t feasible for us to pay squad players. Ox is on 120k per week.

No doubt lamela was supposed to be a star when we signed him but he’s become a very handy squad player. There’s not many players we could sign who would be happy to be in and out the team and on the wages we would like them to be on.

There is no way we will ever sign players like ox or Pedro because they are not obvious improvements on alli, eriksen and son and would demand wages higher than all 3.
Pedro is miles ahead of Lamela

He was already very important first team player before he was injured for 14 months.

Geez some people have short memory.:avbfacepalm:

Back
Top Bottom