Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Despite the poor performance he must start against WBA & Everton if Kane cannot. We need someone to occupy the opposition CB's to allow Son to get free. His nuisance value is better than leaving him out but a goal would be the icing on the cake.

He obviously hasn't had enough time to fully show what he can or cannot do but seems that he is more than fine to be a guy who (should) gives Kane a rest for Cup games and early European games (even though Jose did not do this) but I am not sure that he brings enough to be a replacement for Kane at the PL level whether he is out injured or we just want to rest him.

He could show that he is up for it with more time that he should get with Kane out but I would be looking for someone with more youth, more versatility and more ability.

He was good in Portugal but his past is by the by it’s what he does with us. He is quick, strong and can pass well and gotten a few goals for us in cup games.

Janssen: strong as an Ox but couldn’t finish
Soldado: tidy but weaker than a paper bag in a storm
Llorennte: was good in his day but was to old and immobile by the time he came to us although he did help in the Ajax game.

He in my view has less downsides than those three and we are not getting a world class striker to play back up to Kane. We need much more to fix CB.
Portugal is significantly weaker league, more so when playing for one of the big clubs, where a 22yr old lindelof was a star CB.

It is nothing like playing in the PL. The quality of players, pace of the game and workrate required in the PL is a totally different level.

Even against Chelsea, he was late and lackadaisical on the press, and that gave Azpilicueta the time to play the through ball. Should Mourinho have run on the pitch and carry him around too?

We cant keep bargain shopping for players and expect for Managers to come and work miracles. You can get lucky once in a while, but most often than not (if you are diligent) you get what you pay for

The judgements on Vinny are ridiculous. He’s had a few sniffs here and there. That’s all. We need to stop slagging new and young players (apart from Gedson) until they’ve had a proper chance to gain rhythm and familiarity with the league, colleagues, and our manager’s shocking tactics.

but a Kane injury was always possible inevitable and it has left us with a deep void through the middle.
I can't see he will play another full season in his career.

He's only ever had 2 Injury free senior seasons. 14/15 and 15/16. He's missed an average of nearly 13 games per season over the last 4 seasons.

And still either won (or figured in the race for) the golden boot.

However this is the Vinnie thread...

I'm in the "can't be too harsh on him for missing his one and only chance in a game" camp. It's not a huge surprise. It must be difficult as a striker when you team don't venture over the half way line for the first 45 minutes. Stick him in against WBA with the team playing 15-20 yards further up the pitch than José's standard operating procedure and then judge him at the end of the game. The snap shot he created for himself against Brighton showed me he's got natural ability. He'll need time in the team to prove he can or can't cut it.

The judgements on Vinny are ridiculous. He’s had a few sniffs here and there. That’s all. We need to stop slagging new and young players (apart from Gedson) until they’ve had a proper chance to gain rhythm and familiarity with the league, colleagues, and our manager’s shocking tactics.
He's 26 next month. By that age you should have played enough football to have developed your first touch, know how to spot passes + play them, and learn how the offside rule works.

Gedson has just turned 22 and doesn't seem to have an established position. There's less reason to slag off Gedson than their is Vinicius.

I can't see he will play another full season in his career.

He's only ever had 2 Injury free senior seasons. 14/15 and 15/16. He's missed an average of nearly 13 games per season over the last 4 seasons.

And still either won (or figured in the race for) the golden boot.

However this is the Vinnie thread...

I'm in the "can't be too harsh on him for missing his one and only chance in a game" camp. It's not a huge surprise. It must be difficult as a striker when you team don't venture over the half way line for the first 45 minutes. Stick him in against WBA with the team playing 15-20 yards further up the pitch than José's standard operating procedure and then judge him at the end of the game. The snap shot he created for himself against Brighton showed me he's got natural ability. He'll need time in the team to prove he can or can't cut it.
Yeah, look I'm not anti Vinicius at all, he's a decent player with some good attributes and what seems to be a good attitude. He's 25 though, nothing near a 40m player.

On Kane I'd just say that lots of players get injured every year and I don't think he's some incredibly special case. Still think he'll be great for another 5 years at least, we just need to flesh out our attacking slots with quality and have a system that doesn't depend so entirely on one player lobbing it over the defence for our other good player to run on to.

I agree that Vini hasn't had the minutes to prove himself in the league this year, but what would you rather.
  • Pay 40mil for Vini, with him being still somewhat of an unknown quantity
  • Try to go for Ings, who may be 3 years older, but has experience in the league and will most likely be ok with being a squad player, and also be considered hg?

How many minutes does he need? He has been training and started almost all the cup games.

He simply has limited abilities and no amount of minutes or manager is going to change that.

If we wanted someone that could truly fill in for Kane, we should have signed a better striker.
Just thought under our current setup, most of the strikers in world football would struggle here

I agree that Vini hasn't had the minutes to prove himself in the league this year, but what would you rather.
  • Try to go for Ings, who may be 3 years older, but has experience in the league and will most likely be ok with being a squad player, and also be considered hg?
I think everybody would prefer Ings, no doubt about that.

What makes you think he'd be happy being on the bench most games ?

What makes you think he'd be happy being on the bench most games ?
He wouldn't mate, he's the main man at a top half premiership team who recently stated that he would like to get back into the England squad on a regular basis. Hardly the talk of a player that wants to spend most of his time sitting on his arse.

Just thought under our current setup, most of the strikers in world football would struggle here
Its not just the setup but also the type of players e.g. how many of our players would you say could beat a good defender 1v1?

If you dont have the setup and/or players to continously feed the striker, then a limited striker becomes exposed.

If you think anybody would pay 40m you must be on another planet. It might be in the loan agreement but doesn’t mean we would offer anything near that.
I think we just got him to get through the season. Look for someone else in the summer.

He's 26 next month. By that age you should have played enough football to have developed your first touch, know how to spot passes + play them, and learn how the offside rule works.

Gedson has just turned 22 and doesn't seem to have an established position. There's less reason to slag off Gedson than their is Vinicius.
Were Gedson and Vinicius just doing a favour for Jorge Mendes( Jose’s agent). Perhaps he can do us one and get Neto to sign for us.

He’s a decent enough player and will always earn a living playing football somewhere. Specific to his Tottenham career. He will earn his minutes in training. As every pro is expected to do. What you do in training gives you momentum into the games and gives the coach the faith to put you in. Then it’s down to you, however little time you get you must work hard and then the next week train even harder. That’s my view on how football should work. The very real problem with this guy is that when he does come on he does not actually do enough, closing down looks poor, link up play awful and to my eyes he is a player who plays facing goal and in behind, which is not how we play.

he’s on loan and will be gone in the summer. Another in a long line of “punts”. It used to be that you earned a move to a club like Spurs, now days you just need the combination of being “ok” and “fairly” cheap.

I am not joking when I say that a player like Solanke would have made 100x more sense than this fella. But let’s be honest we could not afford him. All we could “afford” is this bloke on loan. Even Jansen was not on fucking loan.

He’s a decent enough player and will always earn a living playing football somewhere. Specific to his Tottenham career. He will earn his minutes in training. As every pro is expected to do. What you do in training gives you momentum into the games and gives the coach the faith to put you in. Then it’s down to you, however little time you get you must work hard and then the next week train even harder. That’s my view on how football should work. The very real problem with this guy is that when he does come on he does not actually do enough, closing down looks poor, link up play awful and to my eyes he is a player who plays facing goal and in behind, which is not how we play.

he’s on loan and will be gone in the summer. Another in a long line of “punts”. It used to be that you earned a move to a club like Spurs, now days you just need the combination of being “ok” and “fairly” cheap.

I am not joking when I say that a player like Solanke would have made 100x more sense than this fella. But let’s be honest we could not afford him. All we could “afford” is this bloke on loan. Even Jansen was not on fucking loan.
Not sure if he’s good or not. Jose ball ensures he gets one chance a game.

Back
Top Bottom