Chairman's Message

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Serious question time here for a second, not really worth starting a whole new thread....

in a simple answer, of A,B or C..

In your personal opinion, has the Levy Enic reign been

A: A success.
B: Neither progress nor regress
C: Failure.
Definitely A, because we rose from a better mid-table-club (a bit like Everton in the last seasons) to one of the top clubs in England.
The last year wasn't good but nevertheless it showed that players like Eriksen and Lamela (top-talents in Europe) chose to join us (and I'm sure players with their reputation wouldn't have joined spurs 7-10 years ago).

Plenty but the glaring thing is his lack of acknowledgment of his major part in the dismantling of our team and club.

No admission of guilt or even a whiff of apology.
The club will never be fully open to scrutiny. Never has been, never will be.
Levy pretty much runs the club. I'm sure he knows that the ultimate blame for failure lies with him.

As does its success', and he has very much far from dismantled our club. Its ridiculous that you can accuse him of that.

Yeah, the cunt who only gave 3 options instead of 5

:holtbytongue:
My logic was, that we can only progress, regress, or stay the same.
I was only like 9 at the time, but when Enic came in, did they make any silly "we're gonna win the league" promises, or did they just say, we're going to take the club forward, blah blah blah.

My logic was, that we can only progress, regress, or stay the same.
I was only like 9 at the time, but when Enic came in, did they make any silly "we're gonna win the league" promises, or did they just say, we're going to take the club forward, blah blah blah.

It's been 5 year plans for a while now, which seem to change yearly.

They've been mostly successful is what I'd say, I wouldn't say they are 'a success' as they've made a number of mistakes along the way which have pissed off a lot of people, enough for them to just vote C) because of it (stadium relocation being the main one)

It's been 5 year plans for a while now, which seem to change yearly.

They've been mostly successful is what I'd say, I wouldn't say they are 'a success' as they've made a number of mistakes along the way which have pissed off a lot of people, enough for them to just vote C) because of it (stadium relocation being the main one)
My personal opinion is, they've not really done anything BAD... they've just done things that other people (admittedly in less informed positions) would have done differently.

They've taken a mid table (at best) club in shit financial position, and turned us into a club thats finished outside the top 6 once in i don't know how many seasons now. Ten? most of them have been 4th or 5th as well. Every decision they've made, is made with the outlook that, "whatever we do might go wrong, but this is the safest gamble". I personally wouldn't want Tottenham to become a joke club, throwing money at things for a couple of seasons in the hope they come off... and if they don't come off.. then we have to pay the price and likely end up relegated.

the Stratford situation for me.. I'm not sure it was ever a SERIOUS bid... and if it ever was, they cooled down on the idea when they realised just how many were against it. The fact is, we NEED a bigger stadium... and the government/council etc were being very difficult about us building a new one in Tottenham. Personally i can't think of a better way they could have done it than by saying "Fine if we can't build here, we're going to move to another borough, and you can lose out"
Lets not kid ourselves, Tottenham needs Tottenham Hotspur. The prospect of them losing us definitely made a few people shit themselves. And it worked.

People say we should have spent money at certain times and blah blah... but if the money isn't there to spend, how can we. They have a business model, and they stick to it religiously. And you'd have to be fucking mad to say it isn't working.

People say we should have spent money at certain times and blah blah... but if the money isn't there to spend, how can we. They have a business model, and they stick to it religiously. And you'd have to be fucking mad to say it isn't working.

Sure, but you yourself posted that image with how much we've spent, it's hard to honestly say there wasn't money there to spend when we are only 1 of 3 clubs to spend less than we recouped? Granted transfer fees aren't the only thing that should be considered and our wage bill has gone up.

Sure, but you yourself posted that image with how much we've spent, it's hard to honestly say there wasn't money there to spend when we are only 1 of 3 clubs to spend less than we recouped? Granted transfer fees aren't the only thing that should be considered and our wage bill has gone up.
But what i mean by that is, had we spent money that would have been the difference between finishing with a profit or finishing with a minus. If we finish on a minus the money has to come from somewhere doesn't it... and when trying to build a whole stadium as well, there may have just been no where for it to come from.

But what i mean by that is, had we spent money that would have been the difference between finishing with a profit or finishing with a minus. If we finish on a minus the money has to come from somewhere doesn't it... and when trying to build a whole stadium as well, there may have just been no where for it to come from.

The argument being that had he spent that little bit extra for that needed push (Moutinho, a striker etc...) we'd more than have covered it with the CL money we'd have gotten. We weren't exactly a million miles away from getting CL in a number of seasons where he failed to splash the cash in January to make it happen.

Furthermore with the relegated club next season earning the same as last season's champions in prize money (£68m I believe) there's certainly money coming from somewhere!

The argument being that had he spent that little bit extra for that needed push (Moutinho, a striker etc...) we'd more than have covered it with the CL money we'd have gotten. We weren't exactly a million miles away from getting CL in a number of seasons where he failed to splash the cash in January to make it happen.

Furthermore with the relegated club next season earning the same as last season's champions in prize money (£68m I believe) there's certainly money coming from somewhere!
Of course, but lets face it every penny will be accounted for. Its not like as a club we have anything spare to be working with. People always use that example as if buying a striker would definitely have guaranteed us top 4. I myself am not so sure. And besides, we're punching well above our weight as it is. in terms of stadium size, we're 12th in the country. That means potentially 11 other clubs can bring in more match day revenue, (although leeds and Shefield united are two of those so i doubt they all do) and that loss has to be made up somewhere. And when you take into account we pay higher wages than most of those, it gets complicated.

Thats why, me personally, i would never get annoyed at not spending money we don't appear to have, its when we're making huge profits and that money doesn't seem to be reinvested in the club that would bother me. Which to my knowledge isn't happening. The Enic angle is that, they'll make their profit when they sell the club on.

Something i don't understand is when people are of the opinion Enic AREN'T running the club in everyones best interests. They are an investment company, they will improve the club to the point its worth far more than when they bought it. So whilst sometimes they may make a decision that seems odd by OUR opinion, i highly doubt they would be risking the profitability of the club, for the sake of making an extra million here and there.

Of course, but lets face it every penny will be accounted for. Its not like as a club we have anything spare to be working with. People always use that example as if buying a striker would definitely have guaranteed us top 4. I myself am not so sure. And besides, we're punching well above our weight as it is. in terms of stadium size, we're 12th in the country. That means potentially 11 other clubs can bring in more match day revenue, (although leeds and Shefield united are two of those so i doubt they all do) and that loss has to be made up somewhere. And when you take into account we pay higher wages than most of those, it gets complicated.

Thats why, me personally, i would never get annoyed at not spending money we don't appear to have, its when we're making huge profits and that money doesn't seem to be reinvested in the club that would bother me. Which to my knowledge isn't happening. The Enic angle is that, they'll make their profit when they sell the club on.

Something i don't understand is when people are of the opinion Enic AREN'T running the club in everyones best interests. They are an investment company, they will improve the club to the point its worth far more than when they bought it. So whilst sometimes they may make a decision that seems odd by OUR opinion, i highly doubt they would be risking the profitability of the club, for the sake of making an extra million here and there.

A lot of people don't like our trophy haul during ENIC's time regardless of improvement as well. Woolwich not winning fuck all for the last 9 years has also probably helped their cause.

Team Levy/ENIC. Fuck the haters.

I hear this argument a lot. But it is not the only plus point.
We made £100M from the Bale, Huddlestone and other transfers. We re invested every single last penny back into the club. What other team, who bearing in mind have a new £400M stadium on the way, could say that they would do that?

Levy haters just seem like idiots to me, brutally honest. Sponges who jumped on later.

Sherwood knew everything about our club. He has been here for years and knows our whole squad.
It was a logical decision to wait before panic buying. Now we have time to make the right decision.

Bushy dropping the motherfucking realness.

Mah nigga.

Good points.
Since Enic took over the club has done better, got better players in, achieved better results and had a more entertaining team to set before the fans. Sadly, all it has done is to raise a level of expectancy that the new generation of (instant gratification) supporters expect, despite the glaring lack of any reasonable recent precedent.
We all find it funny to take the piss out of Liverpool, without recognising how sad it is to do so, given our last league win. When I make pragmatic statements about how well we have done, I get lectured by fans who wern't born when we last won the FA cup, let alone the league, about how it isn't good enough to be happy to see us qualify for the CL or just become hard to beat. Sorry if it's tough for some of you to deal with, but some of us have lived through relegation and just being pleased it didn't happen in subsequent seasons. To hear/read some of the whining fuckwits on here, you would think that there was some precedent of gratuitous expectation, that made the self indulgent moaning reasonable. There isn't, and the reason other fans take the piss is because of these delusions of grandeur.
We are on the brink, we have some exceptional talent at the club, and we have to thank the board for getting us in this position. Hopefully they will choose the next conductor wisely - and he will make the talented individuals hit all the top notes, at the same time and with the same passion that their expectant audience possesses.
Until that Karajan, Rattle, Brittan or Mahler arrives, we are going to have to keep clapping and cheering like tone deaf acolytes, until we can really show our genuine appreciation.
Tim, thanks for giving it your best shot. Leave the baton on your way out.

Good points.
Since Enic took over the club has done better, got better players in, achieved better results and had a more entertaining team to set before the fans. Sadly, all it has done is to raise a level of expectancy that the new generation of (instant gratification) supporters expect, despite the glaring lack of any reasonable recent precedent.
We all find it funny to take the piss out of Liverpool, without recognising how sad it is to do so, given our last league win. When I make pragmatic statements about how well we have done, I get lectured by fans who wern't born when we last won the FA cup, let alone the league, about how it isn't good enough to be happy to see us qualify for the CL or just become hard to beat. Sorry if it's tough for some of you to deal with, but some of us have lived through relegation and just being pleased it didn't happen in subsequent seasons. To hear/read some of the whining fuckwits on here, you would think that there was some precedent of gratuitous expectation, that made the self indulgent moaning reasonable. There isn't, and the reason other fans take the piss is because of these delusions of grandeur.
We are on the brink, we have some exceptional talent at the club, and we have to thank the board for getting us in this position. Hopefully they will choose the next conductor wisely - and he will make the talented individuals hit all the top notes, at the same time and with the same passion that their expectant audience possesses.
Until that Karajan, Rattle, Brittan or Mahler arrives, we are going to have to keep clapping and cheering like tone deaf acolytes, until we can really show our genuine appreciation.
Tim, thanks for giving it your best shot. Leave the baton on your way out.
And that is the key point in the above post: The board choosing the next manager WISELY. And not reacting negatively when hiring and firing in an emotionaly charged enviroment.

Back
Top Bottom