Chelsea (H) 4/2/2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He came into an underperforming team like this one I’d argue. I honestly don’t care who it is. The type of football we play (I don’t even know if you could call it a style) is unwatchable. Give it whoever and make a proper appointment in the summer so I can at least watch the team I love and get some sort of enjoyment out of it.
What blew my mind today is this thing of nobody showing for the ball when we have it. Players either literally hiding from the ball pointing, or players too fucking lazy to move into space to receive it.
Unforgivable traits for professional footballers at this level. Hojberg being the only exception in that first half. Everybody else didn’t even have the professional pride to compete.
Genuinely couldn't agree more. People are having a go at say, Ben Davies, and yeah he's a bit shit but he's made to look twice as shit by other players not showing when he's looking down the line. Just one example.

Ben Davies isn't really part of the problem anyway but that's another argument.

So that is now 4 games in the PL v Chelski under Jose and we have not scored one goal, barely layer a glove on them! Who said his not agent Jose working for scum.
further why is he saying vinny doesn’t know how to press surely it can be that difficult to do. The team seem to press first 20 min of 2nd half so couldn’t have been that difficult to teach them! What sort PM comment is that?
He needs to be sacked soon and get harry in for wba game. No need to work too much on tactics just get them pumped up and give the players some inspiration.
hopefully the jose fan boys will not start to admit this guy is a fraud stealing £15M/ yr posing as a top level coach with new revolutionary ideas. All BA! And did he need to make those pre match comments about how easy it is to manage Chelski and every manager can win the title. Surely TY had his team talk given to him by Jose. TT well truly have JM the middle finger salute.
as for the chances how many bocks did we have to make in the 2nd half. Lloris made a great save and he clipped the ball away from one of their players. It could have been but it is true the goal that beat was from a typical dier Brian fart. When is this gonna be called out by Jose for his monumental fuck ups!

No, probably not.

But to sack him would make their departures inevitable. Well, certainly Kane.

I dunno. Fuck knows if I know what to do.
Kane is gone I’d imagine. The only chance I’d him staying is European Cup football next season. That’s not happening.

Genuinely couldn't agree more. People are having a go at say, Ben Davies, and yeah he's a bit shit but he's made to look twice as shit by other players not showing when he's looking down the line. Just one example.

Ben Davies isn't really part of the problem anyway but that's another argument.
The players aren't the problem.

Not read what others are saying but I can guess. The first half was indescribably bad. We just could not hold onto the ball, no threat and wtf was Dier trying to do in his own penalty box. 2nd half was a bit better but it could not have been worse. We actually had a decent chance but Lloris had to make a couple of saves.
Overall another bad day at the office. On reflection Chelsea did not threaten much despite their higher pocession and would we really have got a point but for 1 act of stupidity by Dier? It was the lack of attacking threat that is the problem. I think I was actually expecting worse today than a 1 goal defeat.

Yeah, I have the feeling lewis stays out of it & let's levy get on with it. So I guess levy needs to see it for himself.
It will be very interesting where we go from here with levys role, new manager, recruitment & DoF etc.
I can understand his reluctance, its not like we were smashing it when others ran recruiting, either.

But what we're doing isn't working, and its more than a manager change thats needed as there's a massive squad overhaul to be done as well. And unfortunately our scouting department seems to have gone shit.

Full scale restructuring of the football side is on order - hopefully he sees that as being "too much" for him with so many other redevelopment projects, sponsorship deals, and the financial impact of Covid to deal with as well and delegates the football side to someone.

Who? I haven't a clue. But someone.

He came into an underperforming team like this one I’d argue. I honestly don’t care who it is. The type of football we play (I don’t even know if you could call it a style) is unwatchable. Give it whoever and make a proper appointment in the summer so I can at least watch the team I love and get some sort of enjoyment out of it.
What blew my mind today is this thing of nobody showing for the ball when we have it. Players either literally hiding from the ball pointing, or players too fucking lazy to move into space to receive it.
Unforgivable traits for professional footballers at this level. Hojberg being the only exception in that first half. Everybody else didn’t even have the professional pride to compete.
The players are clearly no longer playing for him. They're no doubt tired of his shit defensive approach and had all creativity and freedom drilled out of them. Desperately need a new manager in - even short term - just to galvanize the team as they look thoroughly depressed. Agree that we are simply unwatchable right now and no poxy league cup is worth this

Kane is gone I’d imagine. The only chance I’d him staying is European Cup football next season. That’s not happening.
HK wants to break to break records. Namely Shearer's.

If he continues to do what he has been doing with us, then we are on safe ground.

I'm not convinced that will continue when he comes back.

Turned it off after 35 min and again after half time on 65 min. Just find myself getting angrier and angrier. Its not worth it when herself has to say it cant be good for your health watching it
Haha, give or take a few minutes, I did exactly the same, thinking my not watching would make us play better, seems it doesn’t work like that

They most certainly are, or a significant part of it. Collectively rather than individually I mean
My point is that they don't become great/shit players for any other reason than the collective will. Great players ( and we don't have that many ) wilt under strict orders.

Cheesy analogy but it's like we are wearing a mask. We have to play a low block, we have to do blah blah blah.

It's shit to watch and in the current environment for everyone - where's the fucking escape in that?

Guardian reporter's assessment. Spot on:

Oh, José. For the first half of this weirdly gripping Premier League game it seemed Chelsea’s players were being set an unexpected philosophical conundrum. Never mind trying to win a match against active opponents. How do you kill that which was never really alive in the first place? How do you put away a team that comes pre-put away?

For 45 minutes Tottenham Hotspur were a zombified thing, barely an active participant. Throughout this Mourinho paced his touchline, hood draped limply over his shoulders. He looked concerned, bothered but not really cross or angry – and rightly so. Anger is best reserved for something that can be corrected. These Spurs players didn’t just look short of confidence, they looked like an army sent into battle with a baguette in one hand and a map etched in invisible ink in the other.

It was all the more galling that Tottenham improved significantly after half-time simply by playing higher up the pitch, doing football-type things. By that point 45 minutes of everyone’s life had already been and gone. Football isn’t about waiting for the other person to die of boredom, a wise man once said. This looked, in those opening moments, like a team bored with itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom