Chelsea (H) 4/2/2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't even care if we keep Harry. I know that he and Son would bring $150,000,000 together. Hugo is also probably gone. I say keep Ndombele in the middle and rework the entire team from there.

man exploding GIF

Guardian reporter's assessment. Spot on:

Oh, José. For the first half of this weirdly gripping Premier League game it seemed Chelsea’s players were being set an unexpected philosophical conundrum. Never mind trying to win a match against active opponents. How do you kill that which was never really alive in the first place? How do you put away a team that comes pre-put away?

For 45 minutes Tottenham Hotspur were a zombified thing, barely an active participant. Throughout this Mourinho paced his touchline, hood draped limply over his shoulders. He looked concerned, bothered but not really cross or angry – and rightly so. Anger is best reserved for something that can be corrected. These Spurs players didn’t just look short of confidence, they looked like an army sent into battle with a baguette in one hand and a map etched in invisible ink in the other.

It was all the more galling that Tottenham improved significantly after half-time simply by playing higher up the pitch, doing football-type things. By that point 45 minutes of everyone’s life had already been and gone. Football isn’t about waiting for the other person to die of boredom, a wise man once said. This looked, in those opening moments, like a team bored with itself.
We pressed more in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half than in the entire first 45 minutes. So clearly something changed. If we can see that and the players were able to adjust why did they play the first half as though they were waiting for half-time.

That's got to be down to coaching and management.

We seem to start every game like we are 2-0 with 10 minutes to go. Sit back and defend with discipline.

We should not be getting out played by Chelsea, we should be going tow-to-tow. They dominated and made us look like a league one side clinging on, hoping for a fluke goal.

This game solidified it for me, I'm fully Jose out now. I had bought in in the fall but the warning signals are too obvious now. This isn't about one match but about basically all our matches since December.

The players are not above criticism, surely. But how can we expect them to succeed when they are put in situations like this? Sonny had a brilliant start to the season scoring nearly every time he shot it seemed. Now that he's cooled off a bit, he's not suddenly become shit. It's that nobody scores 100% of the shots they take and when you have 1-2 shots per game you're going to miss a bunch. Same goes for so many of our attackers.

Ultimately our offensive setup will make ANY player looked poor for long stretches. How can we judge Vinicius' performance tonight when he had maybe on good chance? You could have played any striker in world football as our 9 tonight and they'd have looked pedestrian, especially in the first half.

Our tactical decisions are just baffling. Why are we lumping the ball to SONNY so much? When we play out of the back, why can we never seem to break a press? Why can we not press together as a team? Why do we choose not to press for most of the match (then when we do we suddenly look good)?

It's about more than that though, I get no joy from watching this team. I had a long day at work, a long commute home, had work to do at home and finally sat down to watch and sat there numb for 90 minutes. There was nothing to even get excited about for the vast majority of the match. When they scored, I knew what would happen so I just sat and waited for the end out of some sort of obligation even though the team looked like they were just waiting for it to end too.

I just wish we'd try, that's all.

Sad thing is, that second half will probably save Jose. He’ll talk about how we were the better team.

Let’s be honest, Chelsea were awful and still looked comfortable.
I wouldn’t say awful but Chelsea def looked average at best. Had plenty of space due to to a poor setup by Jose but did little with it. That’s why your spot on....drawing any kind of positive from today is ludicrous. Jose spin job in the end

Last edited:
Let’s be honest, spurs were so terrible in the first half that looking bang average in the second half feels like a big positive. A total mirage in the end. Jose needs to fixe this mess ASAP

WOW...not sure what that shit on the first half. Really for the first time I can watch Spurs and do my work at the same time. Thanks for increasing my productivity Spurs and Jose! I do not understand why every Spurs defenders, beside Alderw, always have a brainfart moment be it on the first minute, near half time and near the 90 minutes?!!! I reckon JanVert could still be a good defender compare with the current squad....he is a little slow but at least he can read the ball and good anticipate and know what to NOT do.

Lol sell Kane and Son.

this team needs 300m+ in investment. Selling our two best players means we still need to spend 300m AND replace the two best players. It’s not the answer.

It’s not a Coutinho situation where we are a couple of jigsaw pieces short. We are 7-10 pieces short lol.

Let’s be honest, spurs were so terrible in the first half that looking bang average in the second half feels like a big positive. A total mirage in the end. Jose needs to fixe this mess ASAP
Dude, we have been terrible since December, the early part of the season we just got lucky.

Only way Jose to fix this is to walk.... Now, but we know that never going to happen.

Have we improved in the 14 months he been here?? No!, on top of that we are even worse to watch than the end of the poch era.

How can teams teams like, West ham, soton, villa, Leeds, Everton, play far more attractive football than us, on a similar budget?

2 things: 1) you weren't so forgiving/understanding during Poch's last days and 2) Even if Dier didn't do his Dier-y things were would still be playing this shit we are seeing. Are you saying that Jose is telling the players to do someting else? Because if you are then that would be something outside of what Jose has always done and to suggest it would require evidence to combat the last 10-12 years of Jose's teams and their shitty, reactive football...but without Cristiano.
I’m perfectly happy to re asses my opinions though.
See......no agenda.

I supported Jose and felt he deserves his tenure. In some ways I still do think he deserves his tenure.

He deserves his players to perform, just like we deserve it.

However, his refusal to change is costing us and the last few games have shown a huge ineptitude in getting these overpaid twats to pass a football between them.

Its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, but short of sacking the whole team, you sack the manager.
Just like Poch, he is the one that will have to go. It’s as simple as that.

I have no issues changing my mind. Again it simply proves there’s no agenda.

City was us playing well with a counter attack set up

Utd was us playing well on the front foot

It wasn’t that long ago. One month ago we were top.

For whatever reason we don’t have a single player that can drag the team up. We blew it against Palace, then blew it at Anfield and the weak mentality has set in.

We all know we can do better, whether you like the tactics or not is fairly irrelevant

And another game.

Not one player who can inspire us, young or old.

Just how does a group of players lose so much in such a relatively short space of time?

To be top and then to this is simply shameful.

There is no way you can ever be confident about our players and the manager is adding nothing that could rightfully be expected of a person with such a history.

And the worst thing about the last three games if not more is that other than a few minutes yesterday I never expected a single point.

We will come again but to believe in this group will take Herculean amounts of faith.

Sunday is the last chance Saloon for Mourinho, assuming he gets to the swinging doors., and even that might not make any difference.

Levy won't sack Jose.

If he does that, he knows that Harry and Son will be on the phone to their agents the next day. Not that they might not be anyway, but to sack him now is to admit to a complete rebuild needing another two to three years, minimum.

He'll just stick his head in the sand and hope things get better.

He can sack Jose. He sacked the best one we had in a long time in poch. Another bad game on the weekend I think that will be that. May give it an extra week or see how Europa goes. I can't see Jose leading as out at Wembley. Son/kane want him out then levy will sack him. The key players will have a say for sure....

Back
Top Bottom