Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur (A) Sat., 22.2.2020 (12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Jose reckons Lamela isn’t fit enough to play 90 mins he should at least start him rather than have him coming off the bench. He was the driving force mid-week - clearly up for it!

I'd go for a 4-3-3 today.

Aurier - Sanchez - Tanganga - Davies
Ndombele - Winks - No Celso
Lucas - Dele - Bergwijn

Play Ndombele like if he will make it 90 minutes. Change if needed to Gedson.

Bring in Lamela the last 30 minutes.

And yes I know, Toby will play.

Big ask...... In his 3rd game for us.

He has 32 goals in 152 senior appearances...... Not the worst stat but hardly prolific..... If anything he's more likely to provide the assists.

Mind you that's double the goals Lamela has in roughly same amount of games.

I'm thinking it has to be Dele front and centre.
Dele is out of form for the last 12 months . He is too slow in front of goal and ducks on high balls.
Doubt Jose will start him today.
The best to expect is impact sub to come on in the last 30 mins and score the winner .

He can play 90 mins though. Not many in his position can at the moment. So he will start.
Why pour petrol on fire?
What happens if Dele plays poor again like he did against Vila and RBLiebzig and Jose takes him off on 60 mins, more boots thrown and may be a worse scenario?
Make him a super sub, like he did against Saints FA cup, comes on and scores the winner and gain more that way. Dele has to be managed to get the best out of him.

Completely our nemesis over the years. Today they will have 3 strikers and no doubt at least one scores.

But they ain't that good in my opinion and whatever the result we are within touching distance

If we concentrate and believe in ourselves then I see little to fear.

Last edited:
Quite a few tired legs out there. Perfect time for Skipp to step in. Playing Winks and Skipp should provide enough energy in midfield to allow Ndombele to play farther forward and create chances for our boys up top.

Don't see Davies playing 3rd game in a row after coming back from injury.

Lloris
Aurier - Toby - Sanchez - Tanganga
Winks - Skipp
Ndombele
Moura - Alli - Lamela

Subs as needed:
Lo Celso for Ndom
Dier for Winks/Skipp
Bergjwen for any of the front 3
think Skipp is out of the equation for a while,he doesn't seem to be in Jose's plans

Usually quite positive about Spurs, but just can’t get my hopes up for this one.

Chelsea aren’t all that, but we’re flapping at the moment. My prediction is 2-0. Please for the love of God don’t start Winks, as he’ll just get steamrolled.
This is the perfect game for winks, Kante is out and winks actually steps it up in big games.

Winks has been playing consistently well for the past month I would say.

My 2 biggest fears for this game are getting outnumbered in Central midfield.

And if they play 3 at the back, getting outnumbered on the wings. We need to do something to counteract this. Which we didn't in the reverse fixture.

I feel really sorry for our boys. A seriously weakened squad, three games in under six days, while Chelski have had over four full days rest and preparation time.

For us to be physically and mentally on our top game will require a miracle, especially in our current state.

No excuses. We need to stuff the bastards.

COYS.

think Skipp is out of the equation for a while,he doesn't seem to be in Jose's plans

He is on the bench for virtually every game unlike Sessegnon, Foyth and some others. His opportunity simply hasn't arrived, we have found it so hard to win games that we are scrapping away for a 1 goal win until the last seconds. If we are ever 3-0 and cruising with 20 minutes to go, then he will get some minutes.

Anyway I'm expecting 2 changes at most from the Leipzig game. Lamela is not even training with the team, just doing light work on his own to protect him so I think it's impossible for him to start. Tanganga will surely play at full-back. The rest will be the same, Ndombele doesn't seem to have more than 30 minutes in his legs.

My 2 biggest fears for this game are getting outnumbered in Central midfield.

And if they play 3 at the back, getting outnumbered on the wings. We need to do something to counteract this. Which we didn't in the reverse fixture.

I agree, Lampard outsmarted Jose in the reverse fixture, and we had no answer for it. Cannot let that happen again. It would be nice if Jose sprung his own surprise but he doesn’t have lots of options, so more likely we’ll set up like we did against RBL, try not to concede and if we do then go after an equaliser.

fortunately i think we will get top four even if we lose today, we’d only be four points behind and Chelsea will drop more points than us in the remainder if the season.

I agree, Lampard outsmarted Jose in the reverse fixture, and we had no answer for it. Cannot let that happen again. It would be nice if Jose sprung his own surprise but he doesn’t have lots of options, so more likely we’ll set up like we did against RBL, try not to concede and if we do then go after an equaliser.

fortunately i think we will get top four even if we lose today, we’d only be four points behind and Chelsea will drop more points than us in the remainder if the season.
Agreed that's he'll set up to not concede. But how refreshing and surprising would it be if he didn't. Maybe this is masterplan?!

Back
Top Bottom