Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He works so hard defensively and is always in the top-2 in terms of covering the most ground. I agree that he has a tendency to pull out of challenges compared to say Lamela, but he's much more clever in closing down the space, initiating the press and forcing opponents into blind alleys.

I've slagged him off a lot in the past for not working hard enough defensively, and for bottling challenges. He did great today in this regard and deserves a lot of credit. Great man-management from Poch dropping him for Sunderland and then playing him (as captain) against Gillingham. Really hope he can keep this up, if he does it will change him from good to great footballer.

I wonder if we're going to see him make the same transition that Modric did over his time here, going from playing behind the striker/wide and turning into a deep lying center midfielder. He looked really good in that role today (as well as against CSKA, where he basically played in that spot), controlling tempo and recycling possession with ease. Was the best match I've seen him play for quite a while.

Thought he looked good in the deep role. Wonder if this is where Poch sees his future now that we have Lamela, Nkoudou, Son, Sissoko and the likes of Edwards and Onomah in a more attacking role.
I think Poch might be moving towards more of a 4-3-3 this season anyway (judging from the games vs Middlesbrough, cska, and to a lesser extent City), so it would make sense for Eriksen to be part of the midfield trio. IMO it's his "natural" position, since that's where he played when he was at Ajax.

He's not been that great since about August 2013.

Flashes of brilliance in the odd match. I'd suggest he's averaged a couple of good minutes for every 90 he's played. Still no idea how some stats have previously showed him as being an all-running, tackling central midfield machine. I did start to believe the hype last season, but he's been poor so far this.

Of no fault of his own he is the only creative playmaker we have so a lot is expected of him. His form hasnt been great but we really should have other players at least attempting something mildly creative and not just relying on Eriksen being the playmaker.
Gooner scum have cazorla, Sanchez and Ozil providing the cteative spark so when one isnt playing well the other usually steps up. Pool have Coutinho, Mane and Firminho. We have just Eriksen so when hes not creating we really feel it.

Last edited:
I feel like just misses that burst of pace to get past a player. Coutinho , Silva , De Bruyne, Ozil and even that fatty Cazorla all seem to be able to.

I've not lost any confidence in Eriksen being able to pull something out of nothing. I don't know, maybe Pochs system doesn't allow creativity due to how hell bent we are on defending and winning possession stats.

For the most part he has been absolutely pathetic this season. Also, am I the only one getting seriously annoyed with him whenever there is a 50-50 challenge? He never wins them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom