Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The world's best Fisher doesn't earn the same salary as the best footballer, yet more people fish than play football (apparently)
My point was that all of their worth is skewed by massive advertising budgets, which have overtaken the game and made it spiral out of any sense of reason. Tv companies pay a kings ransom to screen games, so they can earn massive advertising revenues, meanwhile the match attending public get raped at the turnstile or through spiralling TV costs.
I'm happy for the top players to get good salaries. I just struggle to sympathise when they get 10 million quid a year and then even more through advertising.

I'm no communist but at some point in time people have to realise that there's a better way to distribute salaries.

The cost of advertising throws up the cost of products and and in the end beer costs more.

That's why it upsets me.

Bastards

One word you've used debunks your whole argument , raped insinuates the consumer doesn't consent the truth is we choose to spend thousands on football.

So what happens is we flog Eriksen for less than he's worth next summer because he only has a year left on his deal or we lose him for free the following summer , we still have to replace him and pay someone else wages. The reason Woolwich paid Ozil 350 a week is because it was sensible , if he'd had left for free they would have had to shell out at least 70 million to replace him plus big wages they are paying Ozil about 70 million over 4 years. We face. Similar situation with Eriksen.

I have to disagree with this. If we pay Eriksen what Ozil is on & you say that's the smart thing to do I think it will raise the expectations of what other players believe they can get with us when signing extensions. If Ozils on £350k per week thats about £18m a year & the rest of the squad, Kane, Hugo, Jan, Davinson, Dele, all the way through the squad really will know what they can potentially earn if we show our hand. Most would expect a big spike that would set the club back nearly double what its wages could be because we bumped up one players salary.

I love Eriksen he's an integral part of our team but shifting a whole businesses wage structure because of one individual isn't a good thing to do.

I have to disagree with this. If we pay Eriksen what Ozil is on & you say that's the smart thing to do I think it will raise the expectations of what other players believe they can get with us when signing extensions. If Ozils on £350k per week thats about £18m a year & the rest of the squad, Kane, Hugo, Jan, Davinson, Dele, all the way through the squad really will know what they can potentially earn if we show our hand. Most would expect a big spike that would set the club back nearly double what its wages could be because we bumped up one players salary.

I love Eriksen he's an integral part of our team but shifting a whole businesses wage structure because of one individual isn't a good thing to do.

We've already done it with Harry Kane.

If he’s on £75,000 pw now, it would cost the club an extra £6.5m a year to pay him £200,000 pw. I think the club could afford that for such an important member of the team. Think of the wages and transfer fee for a suitable replacement - of which I can’t think of any we could get. Get it done.

That's awfully low.

doesn't £100m plus cheap in the same sentence seem laughable?

mind, i guess that is the current level of expenditure required for high level players.

i'm not sure about add-ons and such but apparently he has just two years left on his contract. his final year of that contract next summer.

EDIT: interestingly, this is same length of contract as lyon's nabil fekir. not to say they are of equal value but the dippers reportedly bid £50m for him. who's to say that £100m for eriksen is below market value. well, daniel levy will ultimately say whether it is or it isn't if anything comes of this rumor.

Last edited:
We've already done it with Harry Kane.

Kane's on £200k per week, Ozil is on £350k its claimed. Huge difference.

If it was up to me our ceiling for Eriksen & Dele should be £200k. If they were open to signing a deal for £175k per week with a view of raising it up to £200k in a seasons times based on performance related targets being met, things such as goals & assists and a domestic trophy or something like that I think that is a good deal for them & helps keep things in line for us.

That being said, if it's £200k or they walk away I would have that as my ceiling. Any higher and the club starts losing grip on reality based on its size at the moment. The £350k Ozil is on has apparently already seen them lose Wilshere when contract talks stalled and Ramsey is in a face off because he wants something in comparison to Ozil. If Ozil don't sign that deal for the money it's costing them I guarantee you Ramsey would be happier and settle for less

If it was up to me our ceiling for Eriksen & Dele should be £200k. If they were open to signing a deal for £175k per week with a view of raising it up to £200k in a seasons times based on performance related targets being met, things such as goals & assists and a domestic trophy or something like that I think that is a good deal for them & helps keep things in line for us.

That being said, if it's £200k or they walk away I would have that as my ceiling. Any higher and the club starts losing grip on reality based on its size at the moment. The £350k Ozil is on has apparently already seen them lose Wilshere when contract talks stalled and Ramsey is in a face off because he wants something in comparison to Ozil. If Ozil don't sign that deal for the money it's costing them I guarantee you Ramsey would be happier and settle for less
Why all this Comparison to Ozil?
There's been no suggestion anywhere that Eriksen expects wage parity with that twat

I didn't say 350, 000 , I was simply using Ozil as an example of the power players now have in contract negotiation , we can't afford to match Woolwich financially that's the reality but we should absolutely be prepared to pay between 200-250 p/w for players as good as Eriksen or more if we can afford it.

Why all this Comparison to Ozil?
There's been no suggestion anywhere that Eriksen expects wage parity with that twat

Another member said Woolwich paying Ozil what he's on is sensible as it secured him long term & that we face a similar situation with Eriksen which I disagreed with as there is no way we should be comparing the Ozil situation with Christian should hiking his wages up so much be the required outcome to keep him

I didn't say 350, 000 , I was simply using Ozil as an example of the power players now have in contract negotiation , we can't afford to match Woolwich financially that's the reality but we should absolutely be prepared to pay between 200-250 p/w for players as good as Eriksen or more if we can afford it.

I see what you're saying. I do think £200k needs to be our cut off point in any negotiations regarding any player for the foreseeable now though. Purely because of our size and balancing the cost of the build. Let's hope the club can sort something with Christian as he really is one of the very few that would get into any team or squad in the world

He needs to be offered Kane style money if he is to feel respected.
I say offer him base 150-175k and a whole slew of performance-based clauses that could put him up near 200-225. It can't really be a bad deal for the club if we overpay a bit while winning.
Offering performance related clauses help ensure that he can't just sign a contract and retire early.

One word you've used debunks your whole argument , raped insinuates the consumer doesn't consent the truth is we choose to spend thousands on football.
No it doesn't.
We don't consent to pay the amount we pay. If you were offered a choice of 5 pounds for your seat or paying 60 for it - your pay the fiver.
It's a figure of speech and you know it.

He deserves a top move , to whoever it may be . He has given us 5 seasons . He isn’t going to win any major trophies with us until we at least get a new owner , he doesn’t have time to wait for that . So if he decides to go , which he will I think, no complaints from me . Will obviously be gutted , but when a top player has given you 5 seasons, no one should realistically complain

Some trivial information for you. The danish pronunciation of Eriksen's name is nothing like how we say it.
They say Cry-stian Ee-yek-sen. The Danish language is very easy on the ears..

Naïve to think Eriksen or his agent couldn't be influenced by what others in similar situations can potentially earn by letting their contracts run low , truth is he'd be a mug to sign for Spurs less than 200k a week , that's the minimum he should demand.
But what has that got to do with Ozil and his £300 per week wages , which is the point of reference you were making? You've just said he'd be a mug not to sign for £200kpw, £100k pw week less than Ozil.

Back
Top Bottom