Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t understand this amortised thing. Was listening to podcast yesterday who said if you bought a player for £50m and kept him for five years, then sold him for £10m, that was a profit of £10m.

Where did the £50m go? Surely it shows on the books somewhere? Is it like depreciation on capital equipment?

In my book, stating I’m no accountant, buying at 50 and selling at 10 is a hefty loss.

Think of it as like buying a brand new car, it depreciates over use. So for players if we get a solid few years out of them. Then to sell for a profit is a big winner. Or selling cheap we’d have hopefully got as good as it gets useage.

Think of it as like buying a brand new car, it depreciates over use. So for players if we get a solid few years out of them. Then to sell for a profit is a big winner. Or selling cheap we’d have hopefully got as good as it gets useage.
But there’s no profit is there? You buy a car for £40k and sell it for £10k, you’ve still spent £30k that you now don’t have and can’t spend on something else.

This car argument is giving me deja vu.

Not really getting this analogy. Unlike cars, footballers should appreciate over time

But there’s no profit is there? You buy a car for £40k and sell it for £10k, you’ve still spent £30k that you now don’t have and can’t spend on something else.

This car argument is giving me deja vu.

suggestion there needs to be profit. Very rare to buy a new car and not take a loss when selling it few years down the line. We’ve also had use in most cases out of that player. We’ve been lucky that we purchased cheap and sold for profit. However the reverse affect of buying high and selling low in the likes of Janssen, Soldado. When we buy players it’s not to consider selling them on. That does work for some clubs, the Chavs.

going back to the car analogy, do you buy a car going into it with an idea of how you will sell it for in future? It’s a depreciating asset. You’ll have got your useage out of it. To then sell for whatever is a bonus.

Not really getting this analogy. Unlike cars, footballers should appreciate over time

Younger players yes. But older ones not so much. Only some clubs silly enough to pay enormous sums for older players, that will offer them no return on investment. Ozil being a prime example. That cunt is a drain, Woolwich would do well to bin him off cheap just to lower the outlay in wages.

Younger players yes. But older ones not so much. Only some clubs silly enough to pay enormous sums for older players, that will offer them no return on investment. Ozil being a prime example. That cunt is a drain, Woolwich would do well to bin him off cheap just to lower the outlay in wages.
Hazard was sold for much more than what he was bought for and he is older than Eriksen.

That’s because Poch was never Sammy’s manager, he always hated him.

He even did a “I told you so” re: Poch back in 2015 when we had a crisis.

I can’t talk as I didn’t want him either preferring Gus Hiddink!!

Couldn’t imagine us without him now

It's like taking a lease on retail premises - you pay the lease (signing fee), ground rent (salary), apply remedial or improvement work (coaching).
Then renew the lease (new contract), or give it up when it expires (free transfer) or sell up for a transfer fee.

I don’t understand this amortised thing. Was listening to podcast yesterday who said if you bought a player for £50m and kept him for five years, then sold him for £10m, that was a profit of £10m.

Where did the £50m go? Surely it shows on the books somewhere? Is it like depreciation on capital equipment?

In my book, stating I’m no accountant, buying at 50 and selling at 10 is a hefty loss.

Look at £50m/5 years as paying £10m per year for the player. If you then sell for £10m, you're making a profit on the player's £0 value in the books, so will be recorded as a £10m profit. The accounts for all 5 years will have a £10m reduction on profit to factor said amortisation and this'll be to help assess how a business is performing + will generally have tax benefits.

There is a new suitor for Christian Eriksen as Juventus are believed to have joined the race for the Dane.
If he does stay and see out his contract with us I'd put money on Juve getting him on a free next Summer. Just because he's free.

Eriksen with any uncertainty over his future plays under par. Even worse if BriPelli BriPelli is correct and he starts being more conservative in his game to avoid injuries.

The guy improved noticeably before/after signing his last extension with us (which you'd think is a less stressful situation than a permanent transfer). If he's deliberating over which team/country to move to between now and May, I dread to think how far his performance level could fall. You'd have hoped that he would learn his lesson from Real Madrid not bothering this summer.

If he doesn't sign a new deal, and Juve offered Dybala in some kind of swap (with additional cash coming from our direction) I'd bite their fucking hands off for that.

I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are just a cunty Spurs fan, but you could easily be a West Ham or Woolwich WUM as well.

Don't blame the messenger mate. Eriksen has refused to renew his contract for the past 2 years. The next few days isn't going to change that. I am willing to make a bet with you though. If he renews his contract I will go into exile for 1 year. If he does not renew his contract, you go away for 1 year.

Don't blame the messenger mate. Eriksen has refused to renew his contract for the past 2 years. The next few days isn't going to change that. I am willing to make a bet with you though. If he renews his contract I will go into exile for 1 year. If he does not renew his contract, you go away for 1 year.
We will see what happens and how he plays next season, but the point was that you post negative dribble about at least 80 percent of our players.

Back
Top Bottom