Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeh, you’re not losing money if you’ve never had it in the first place. It’s a weird psychological phenomenon left over from evolution to prevent risk-taking. Seems counter-intuitive, but once the money’s been spent, it’s spent, so you can’t get it back: that’s why people hold onto junk that doesn’t work properly, ‘just in case’. Actually, it’s impossible to become worse off if you never use an item once you’ve paid for it, so there’s no further loss involved. That’s why it’s so frustrating to Levy and Poch having to pay wages to injured players - they are paying, but not getting the use. With Eriksen it’s different.

So, if Eriksen doesn’t sign and goes for a free, we’ve lost nothing - because we spent the money on the player and contract that we’d planned to and got our planned use from him. To paraphrase Poch: ‘he’s not a chair (but kind of is, if you think of it in terms of pure economics)’.
He also cost us next to nothing in modern football terms

The Dane, who is preparing to face Gibraltar and Georgia with the national team on Thursday and Sunday, said: “I wish I could decide myself, like you can do in the [computer game] Football Manager, but I can’t do that sadly. I don’t think it was wrong [to say that it was time for a new challenge]. But this is football and you never know what happens in football. A lot of things play a part.”

The 27-year-old, who has been at Tottenham since 2013, said all the transfer speculation this summer had not affected him at all. “It is not a problem for me to empty my head [and get away from it]. I don’t read a lot of what is written. I have been doing this for many years now and there have been a lot of rumours.

“A lot has been written, that I have been to Madrid to look for a house and so on, but it really doesn’t disrupt my life at all. The summer holidays were great. We went to Asia. It is always good to travel to the other side of the world.”

The Dane, who is preparing to face Gibraltar and Georgia with the national team on Thursday and Sunday, said: “I wish I could decide myself, like you can do in the [computer game] Football Manager, but I can’t do that sadly. I don’t think it was wrong [to say that it was time for a new challenge]. But this is football and you never know what happens in football. A lot of things play a part.”

The 27-year-old, who has been at Tottenham since 2013, said all the transfer speculation this summer had not affected him at all. “It is not a problem for me to empty my head [and get away from it]. I don’t read a lot of what is written. I have been doing this for many years now and there have been a lot of rumours.

“A lot has been written, that I have been to Madrid to look for a house and so on, but it really doesn’t disrupt my life at all. The summer holidays were great. We went to Asia. It is always good to travel to the other side of the world.”

So are you going to sign a new contract with us then Chris?
Pleeeeeeease?
:avbpray:

But this is not a player in his prime being sold for good money nor is it a player aging out into worthlessness that we get nothing for. This is a very good player in his prime that we are losing for nothing. It's a totally unique situation for Spurs at least in the last 10 to 15 years.

50 million pounds lost is 50 million pounds lost. Whatever our transfer bucket is for next Summer, it would've been 50 million pounds more if we sold Eriksen.

£50m is £50m but if keeping Eriksen helps us qualify for the Champions League again next season, as well as perform better in this seasons one, his transfer fee lost will be more than covered in performance related incomings. We made way over £100m in last seasons european competition, if in theory we go 1-2 steps further because Eriksen is in our squad this year as opposed to not being a Tottenham player and if he's the difference between 4th and 5th come May 2020 then we could in theory be sitting on a further £100m-£200m due to choosing not to sell.

Risk reward of course, nothing is for definite and it is a risk but it's clear he should important to us and significantly increases our chances of doing well so I value the safeguard of him not being flogged for chump change based on his ability. £50m was fair, if it was less I think we are best to keep for a season, ride it out and reap the financial gains of his quality.

I don't read stuff but i've read stuff about RM :pocheyes:

I don't let it get into my head... really? really?

That reads he really wanted to leave and we didn't let him to me. Depending on Zidane I think he will be RM either Jan or summer - I don't see Zidane being there by Christmas.
To me it reads he really wanted to leave but the clubs he wanted didn't want him.
The interview above doesn't include what he says about having sympathy for the manager and that the windows should close at the same time across Europe.

I think if we'd prevented him leaving he wouldn't be so gracious about it all. I wouldn't be and I'm the nicest bloke you'll ever meet.

Last edited:
“I think that most English clubs would like the window to close at the same time as the other countries,” he said. “It is a shit situation for a coach when he doesn’t know which players he will have at his disposal. I would have liked to play all games [from the beginning] but you have to ask my coach [why I didn’t].”

EcstaticJubilantBeetle-size_restricted.gif

He plays in the champions league for us leaves for another team who are also in the champions league after Xmas is he cup tied?

£50m is £50m but if keeping Eriksen helps us qualify for the Champions League again next season, as well as perform better in this seasons one, his transfer fee lost will be more than covered in performance related incomings. We made way over £100m in last seasons european competition, if in theory we go 1-2 steps further because Eriksen is in our squad this year as opposed to not being a Tottenham player and if he's the difference between 4th and 5th come May 2020 then we could in theory be sitting on a further £100m-£200m due to choosing not to sell.

Risk reward of course, nothing is for definite and it is a risk but it's clear he should important to us and significantly increases our chances of doing well so I value the safeguard of him not being flogged for chump change based on his ability. £50m was fair, if it was less I think we are best to keep for a season, ride it out and reap the financial gains of his quality.

That is the difference between players like Hazard and Eriksen. Hazard wins you a trophy and a 3rd place finish in his last year with the club while giving the club an additional 90 million for the club to spend to strengthen the squad. Whereas Eriksen leaves us zilch because he refuses to renew.

Not sure what bit about player contracts you can't understand ... but hey whatever, you live in your sad little depressed world where it's all gloom and doom if you must. Me I'll appreciate what we've had and what is yet to come ... Eriksen included
Yeah I'm all gloom and doom because I want the club to accrue a transfer fee for a top player while you are A-okay because he gave you great memories lol. Whatever mate.

Vikingsen Why would a guy who's not even a Spurs fan spend so much time on this forum? We get it, Eriksen is god to you lot over there because you seemingly have nothing else to be proud of but I really couldn't give 2 shits if you go through each of my posts and disagree like you have been.

Back
Top Bottom