Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s playing him so he can say

“Fuck you”

To Levy
To the Club
To us Fans

Get rid asap

I genuinely don't think it's as malicious as that. If it is, agree 100%, boot him out the door.

I just think he can't accept that the spine of his team has gone. He keeps on talking about 'keeping the squad happy', but I think he's saying that out loud, like a repeated mantra, to try and convince himself that is what he's doing.

He doesn't give a fuck about the squad and I don't think he's that fussed about transfers or new acquisitions. He's just far too loyal and is twisting facts to justify his continued dependence on certain players.

What makes it stand out more is his cold and harsh treatment of fringe players.

As will I.

I'll declare it an outrage and be on here in a matter of seconds, expressing my disgust!

Well if Poch genuinely believes that Eriksen is performing as well as ever then why would he leave him out? However he must be having us on because we all know Eriksen has been stinking the place out and so must he. If he starts him it just further confirms in my mind that he must leave

Yep. I don't think it's anymore complicated than that.

He is ruled more by emotion than logic (which he himself has admitted to). He cultivated an 'us against them' mentality with a core group of players, and I don't think he can accept it's finished with them. He's raging against the dying of the light.

I also believe the reports that he passed on players offered to him, even when really good - for example, Tielemans. It all starts to make sense - he's not thinking about Tottenham anymore, he's thinking about *his* players.
This is looking more and more likely yeah.

I just think he can't accept that the spine of his team has gone. He keeps on talking about 'keeping the squad happy', but I think he's saying that out loud, like a repeated mantra, to try and convince himself that is what he's doing.
I'm not convinced. Why is he (and justifiably so) banging on about new blood and new furniture, then? Why is it a badly kept secret that he has the hump that Levy did not sell more of our players this summer?

He does talk about keeping the squad happy, yes, but that seems to be a defensive line he takes when his team selections are questioned by the media.

I'm not convinced. Why is he (and justifiably so) banging on about new blood and new furniture, then? Why is it a badly kept secret that he has the hump that Levy did not sell more of our players this summer?

He does talk about keeping the squad happy, yes, but that seems to be a defensive line he takes when his team selections are questioned by the media.

Does he bang on about it that much though? I’ve never really seen him whinge about lack of transfers. Only really seen him point out that it’s nothing to do with him, which people have interpreted to mean all sorts of things.

I think his actual selections demonstrate a real reluctance to integrate new players. He will fall over himself to find a way to pick the old guard.

It’s so patently obvious that you think Pochettino is a massive cunt, and moreover that he’s a dim witted twat, but, the fact that you’ve posted the same observation over 639 times, would suggest that you are struggling with descriptive English. You’re like a grunting pig, thinking that more oink oinks will really get your message across. Still the bread roll that you get thrown occasionally from the other pigs seems to keep you happy.

Poch Out. Oink.

Does he bang on about it that much though? I’ve never really seen him whinge about lack of transfers.
Not at every press conference, but he has made no secret of his desire to refresh the squad. Plus, we have word from Levy that we were not able to shift as many players as we wanted to this summer.

"Daniel Levy said it’s not always possible to sell players," read the minutes. "In 90% of instances either a buyer could not be found for a player or the player did not wish to join the club that had expressed an interest in buying them so THFC was not able to make as many changes as desired this summer.

"Levy reiterated just how difficult it is to get a transfer over the line, with so many moving parts.

"Levy felt the next step in the project was already underway with the signings this summer and the sale of some fringe players. That the much-talked about refresh had already begun."

"It is so important for the club to have another chapter, to close this chapter and start a new project," Pochettino said.

"A new project means to start to talk in a different way and to operate in a different way.

"After the Champions League final it was a chapter closed and the club need to start a new chapter," he stated. "This defeat is not going to change my opinion.

"You need to show your quality like a man first. To face it like a professional is like a man. You need to put your quality and how strong you are to face it like a person. We need to face it like men and be stronger and bounce back and change the feeling.

"It’s going to be a tough season, I told you that months ago. The most important thing is to move on from this defeat. Of course, we have to assess the team always and our players is the most difficult job for us.

He said: “When you talk about Tottenham, everyone says you have an amazing house but you need to put in the furniture.

“If you want to have a lovely house maybe you need better furniture. And it depends on your budget if you are going to spend money. We need to be respectful with teams like Manchester City or Liverpool who spend a lot of money. We are brave, we are clever, we are creative.

“Now it’s about creating another chapter and to have the clear idea of how we are going to build that new project. We need to rebuild. It’s going to be painful.”

In football you always need to think you can improve and you need to try to improve your squad,” he said.

“If you say to me we were so clever because we didn’t sign anyone, and now after nine games it’s the best ever start in Premier League for the club, I’m not going to be that type of person who is going to say ‘yes we are geniuses’.

“We wanted to sign people. But the circumstances arrived, and it’s the best start in the Premier League for Tottenham.

“Maybe it’s a coincidence, or maybe it’s because we are geniuses. But in January we are going to try to sign players.

“Today we can say ‘well done’ but if you ask me if I’m happy, yes I’m happy with the result but I think you cannot play with destiny, you need to build the team properly.

“We need as a club in January to try to refresh the squad to move the club on.”

“January is going to be a good opportunity too to fix this situation and the next one. That is the problem when something happens that you cannot control.

Last edited:
Not at every press conference, but he has made no secret of his desire to refresh the squad. Plus, we have word from Levy that we were not able to shift as many players as we wanted to this summer.

"Daniel Levy said it’s not always possible to sell players," read the minutes. "In 90% of instances either a buyer could not be found for a player or the player did not wish to join the club that had expressed an interest in buying them so THFC was not able to make as many changes as desired this summer.

"Levy reiterated just how difficult it is to get a transfer over the line, with so many moving parts.

"Levy felt the next step in the project was already underway with the signings this summer and the sale of some fringe players. That the much-talked about refresh had already begun."

"It is so important for the club to have another chapter, to close this chapter and start a new project," Pochettino said.

"A new project means to start to talk in a different way and to operate in a different way.

"After the Champions League final it was a chapter closed and the club need to start a new chapter," he stated. "This defeat is not going to change my opinion.

"You need to show your quality like a man first. To face it like a professional is like a man. You need to put your quality and how strong you are to face it like a person. We need to face it like men and be stronger and bounce back and change the feeling.

"It’s going to be a tough season, I told you that months ago. The most important thing is to move on from this defeat. Of course, we have to assess the team always and our players is the most difficult job for us.

He said: “When you talk about Tottenham, everyone says you have an amazing house but you need to put in the furniture.

“If you want to have a lovely house maybe you need better furniture. And it depends on your budget if you are going to spend money. We need to be respectful with teams like Manchester City or Liverpool who spend a lot of money. We are brave, we are clever, we are creative.

“Now it’s about creating another chapter and to have the clear idea of how we are going to build that new project. We need to rebuild. It’s going to be painful.”

In football you always need to think you can improve and you need to try to improve your squad,” he said.

“If you say to me we were so clever because we didn’t sign anyone, and now after nine games it’s the best ever start in Premier League for the club, I’m not going to be that type of person who is going to say ‘yes we are geniuses’.

“We wanted to sign people. But the circumstances arrived, and it’s the best start in the Premier League for Tottenham.

“Maybe it’s a coincidence, or maybe it’s because we are geniuses. But in January we are going to try to sign players.

“Today we can say ‘well done’ but if you ask me if I’m happy, yes I’m happy with the result but I think you cannot play with destiny, you need to build the team properly.

“We need as a club in January to try to refresh the squad to move the club on.”

“January is going to be a good opportunity too to fix this situation and the next one. That is the problem when something happens that you cannot control.

I want somebody to ask Poch directly, what is the project for the next 5 years? What were the objectives at the start of the season? Are we going to achieve those objectives or not?

He was always very clear about top 4 being the target while the stadium project was underway, well what is the target now? Are we on track or off course? Right now the feeling is that is a “nothing” season where losing games doesn’t really seem to mean anything, what do the chairman and the manager think will be a successful season? Top 4? Top 6? Top half?

Poch was very quick to wave away all criticism of our title race failures by saying that we achieved our target of top 4, yet he’s gone very quiet on the subject this season. What are we actually playing for in the league?

I want somebody to ask Poch directly, what is the project for the next 5 years? What were the objectives at the start of the season? Are we going to achieve those objectives or not?

He was always very clear about top 4 being the target while the stadium project was underway, well what is the target now? Are we on track or off course? Right now the feeling is that is a “nothing” season where losing games doesn’t really seem to mean anything, what do the chairman and the manager think will be a successful season? Top 4? Top 6? Top half?

Poch was very quick to wave away all criticism of our title race failures by saying that we achieved our target of top 4, yet he’s gone very quiet on the subject this season. What are we actually playing for in the league?
I don't know what the project is. Are chairman and manager on the same page?

Talking ahead of Sunday's match against Everton, he said he requires some assurances, per David Hytner of the Guardian:

"I am open to everything. What I am not open to is starting a new chapter with no plan, with no clear idea, with not being transparent and being able to tell our fans what is our objective, to stop talking about perception, talk about reality—because if not, it is going to be difficult.

"We know very well that we need to operate in a different way and that doesn't mean to spend more or less money. It's to be transparent and say: 'This is what we want for the next year, or the next five or 10 years.'

"It would be very naive to think we can continue to operate as we have done and that it will get us to the Champions League final and the top four every season when we're competing against projects like Liverpool or the Manchester clubs."

“If you want to expect the same from us as from Liverpool, the Manchester clubs and Chelsea, give me different tools to work with. If not and I see people working in the same way in the future, and I’m going to be this guy, I am the most stupid person to work. We need to create a realistic plan to develop in the next year, five years, and to match people’s expectations because, if not, our destiny is to crash.”

Last edited:

Regardless of our shitty start to the season, I'd appreciate some proper insight on that front.

You forgot 'dynamic'.... shame on you !
the thing is that abstract thing... that feeling.. that controlled emotion and passion...the team bond... is the likely difference, or can be the difference between winning and losing... the core skills and capabilities are mostly equal.... how do you explain a lowly ranked team beating more highly favoured opponents (red star v lfc) ... those emotions can drive greater 'effort' which can give you that advantage.... so i can understand or he could say today player x did 200 keepy uppies.... better than yesterdays 199....

Eriksen is easy for Poch, he knows the system, knows what Poch wants, probably where all the players are going to run. He's not the player he was, but then I think the player he used to be has been on the wane for a while.
I'm not sure GLc is the guy for that role, maybe Lamela is better - but Poch knows that Eriksen is versatile, has the ability - but is bang out of form. He'll be hoping, as with Toby, Vert, rose evn, that they click into some form again soon.
My biggest criticism of Eriksen is the lack of awareness, his quickness of thought seems to have gone - he was never physical but he rarely got caught on the ball, gave it away or made a bad passing decision - that seems to happen a lot just now which can't be fatigue.
Any talk about Poch committing sabotage, by playing CE to try and get sacked is talking bollocks.

Eriksen either knows who his next club is going to be, or he's just in horrific form/maybe kinda past it at this point. He's not playing well, and in turn it shows how reliant on him we've become over the years. I don't think it's much of a coincidence that while Eriksen is in this form that we're playing terribly. We are going to need him to turn it around or find ways to win games without him. I still can't understand how he played for 100 minutes against Everton, was easily our worst player out there.

hey maybe hes in a funk that he cant get out of? a bad bad patch of form.... not his fault the coach keeps on selecting him....surely he doesn't like facing the unkind barbs from our forum membership or to see that next big potential contract slipping away? almost feel a bit sorry for him... from my distance i don't find him dislike-able... stereo-typically Scandinavians are level headed good sorts too....

Back
Top Bottom