Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why all the hate for the guy? I honestly don’t get it? The guy gave us 6 odd years of brilliant service, much of which was in his prime, and hads fuck all to show for it trophy wise. He’s not an academy graduate or Spurs fan, he has no real affiliation with the club. Why would you begrudge him wanting to go and try something new and win a few pots?

It’s totallt different to when the likes of Bale, Modric, Walker etc left, they had signed massive contracts the season before and fucked the club over, effectively going on strike and what not.

Eriksen should have been allowed to leave last Summer and replaced, it’s not his fault that the club fucked it up and priced him out.
I agree pretty much with your sentiments regarding Eriksen, Tom.
But disagree with your opinion that Bale, Modric and Walker fucked the club over by signing a contract a year before leaving.
Signing those contracts ensured the club had a windfall to the tune of around £200million

But disagree with your opinion that Bale, Modric and Walker fucked the club over by signing a contract a year before leaving.
Signing those contracts ensured the club had a windfall to the tune of around £200million
Levy knew and made sure. Was never about building the best team but maximising profits as usual

I didn't say more dignified, but bearing in mind we've had 2 mangers not playing CE due to a perceived lack of commitment; whilst CE also publicly expressed his desire to play elsewhere.... What's the big difference?

....Like I say, at least the other 2 delivered the goods on the pitch meaning a) we could recoup a solid fee on them and b) the team didn't suffer in the meantime.
1) Pochettino started Eriksen in nearly every game he was in charge for this season and I’m pretty sure Eriksen has played in every single game Mourinho has been in charge of, be it starting or from the bench, so I don’t know what two managers you’re on about.
2) Last season Eriksen scored 10 goals and got 17 assists, winning us copious amounts of games and points, so I don’t see where this narrative that he has “downed tools” for over a year has come from.
3) ONCE, Eriksen made a comment to the media saying if the opportunity arose he would be interested in a new challenge. That’s it. He has never faked injury, gone on strike or done any of the stereotypical things players do these days when they want a move.

I will absolutely admit his performance levels have dropped this season at times, but the constant whinging and hatred towards him is just people’s way of looking for someone to blame for how shit we’ve become. It’s unfounded guff for the most part.

Fair point mate, the contracts were quite possibly an insurance policy from the club.

Their behavior when wanting a move was still night and day compared to Eriksen’s though, that point I stand behind.

1) Pochettino started Eriksen in nearly every game he was in charge for this season and I’m pretty sure Eriksen has played in every single game Mourinho has been in charge of, be it starting or from the bench, so I don’t know what two managers you’re on about.
2) Last season Eriksen scored 10 goals and got 17 assists, winning us copious amounts of games and points, so I don’t see where this narrative that he has “downed tools” for over a year has come from.
3) ONCE, Eriksen made a comment to the media saying if the opportunity arose he would be interested in a new challenge. That’s it. He has never faked injury, gone on strike or done any of the stereotypical things players do these days when they want a move.

I will absolutely admit his performance levels have dropped this season at times, but the constant whinging and hatred towards him is just people’s way of looking for someone to blame for how shit we’ve become. It’s unfounded guff for the most part.
He has been shit most of this season. Last season though he definitely didnt down tools.

I'm not sure where the confusion is with the Eriksen hate.

Fans love the club. Eriksen wants a new club. Not only that, but he is going about it in a way that ensures the club loses out on a big payday to replace him. All so he and his agent can pocket the spoils.

His crap performances are the cherry on top. Only the cherry missed the mark and is on the floor. Everybody including Kane have been copping heat the last year. Not even Toby said he wanted a new challenge.

He wants to try something new, a new adventure in another country. Is not hard for me to understand. He has given 6 year's to Spurs, been among the best players. And clearly stated he wanted till tru something else. Still he wasn't sold.

Can't sell when there's no buyer....

RM were never particularly serious otherwise he'd have been gone.... Hazard was also in the last year of his contract; didn't stop them shelling out 100m for him did it?.

He has been shit most of this season. Last season though he definitely didnt down tools.

Closer inspection will show that I have not once accused him of downing tools.

I've said all along; I feel he has a weak mentality whereupon his performance levels drop considerably in the face of unrest (i.e. contracts) or adversity (i.e. big games).

Last edited:

To be fair this is a player whom would otherwise have been a guaranteed first team pick, yet there have been instances under both gaffas where he has not been started thanks to an obvious effort to 'move on' without him.... We both know this wasn't for rest or rotation.

If deemed committed why wouldn't he start against Villa at home for example?

....Why would he not start against Olympiacos at home?

(There are other examples too.)

As I just pointed out in another post.... That's not an accusation I have made.

"I've said all along; I feel he has a weak mentality whereupon his performance levels drop considerably in the face of unrest (i.e. contracts) or adversity (i.e. big games)."

Once is enough to awaken other clubs, his team-mates and the fan-base to his intentions.

I don't recall Modric 'doing a Danny' and making regular cameos in The Sun either tbf.

Tbf, you're probably best directing such frustration towards those actually guilty of "hate" and accusations of "downing tools".... My comments have stopped short of either.

What I will say tho is that I wholeheartedly reject the notion that somehow the club have screwed HIM over... That's bollocks.

Last edited:

RM were never particularly serious otherwise he'd have been gone.... Hazard was also in the last year of his contract; didn't stop them shelling out 100m for him did it?.

And being in the last year of his contract didn’t stop Hazard from playing fantastic football either unlike Eriksen

Last edited:

There was no buyer, but was that because Levy (Poch?) put a ridiculous price on his head. Wasn't it talk about 90M last summer Of course there was no buyer. But who's at fault for him not beeing sold and now running down the contract. Eriksen or the club?

My Inter mates on the WP group are 100% certain that he's going to Inter for 20-23M €. Would like the trade with Bale or James more, but, considering we're most likely going to get Gio in a permanent deal, I'm not that mad about this deal. A bit weird though, that he wanted a step-up, and Inter is at best a step sideways in my opinion. If it comes true and he leaves in January, I wish him good luck, however I won't be as appreciative to his contribute as I am to Dembele's etc. He'd be just another Modric for me.

My Inter mates on the WP group are 100% certain that he's going to Inter for 20-23M €. Would like the trade with Bale or James more, but, considering we're most likely going to get Gio in a permanent deal, I'm not that mad about this deal. A bit weird though, that he wanted a step-up, and Inter is at best a step sideways in my opinion. If it comes true and he leaves in January, I wish him good luck, however I won't be as appreciative to his contribute as I am to Dembele's etc. He'd be just another Modric for me.
Modric was a brilliant midfielder for us and certainly also in his last season, even though he was disappointed that he hadn't made a transfer in the summer (of 2011).

Modric was a brilliant midfielder for us and certainly also in his last season, even though he was disappointed that he hadn't made a transfer in the summer (of 2011).

He was, and he was very professional in his last season. Personally he was dead to me after his ‘come and get me’ speech to ‘big club’ Chelsea.

Fucking rat-faced prick.

He was, and he was very professional in his last season. Personally he was dead to me after his ‘come and get me’ speech to ‘big club’ Chelsea.

Fucking rat-faced prick.
That's more personal, but we can't deny that he at least on the pitch was very good and valuable up until he fucked off, sadly not the same can be said about Eriksen.

That's more personal, but we can't deny that he at least on the pitch was very good and valuable up until he fucked off.

Agreed. Subjectively I couldn’t stand him after those comments, but objectively he continued to play his heart out for us and I could appreciate that.

Similar to Bale. In his last season he was incredible, but I knew he was off which dampened the enjoyment a bit.

There was no buyer, but was that because Levy (Poch?) put a ridiculous price on his head. Wasn't it talk about 90M last summer Of course there was no buyer. But who's at fault for him not beeing sold and now running down the contract. Eriksen or the club?

I'd read 50m towards the end of this past summer's window... Seems reasonable enough to me if Hazard was deemed worth 100m, but that aspect of this scenario will remain merely transfer 'folk-lore' from here on.

I.E. None of us will know as a matter of fact.

Last edited:
Exactly. Anyone who believes that no one came in for him at all last Summer is incredibly naive.
Eriksen wanted to leave, our manager wanted him gone, we should have let him go, replaced him and moved on.

Exactly. Anyone who believes that no one came in for him at all last Summer is incredibly naive.
Eriksen wanted to leave, our manager wanted him gone, we should have let him go, replaced him and moved on.

Yet the most interest reported anywhere was a) Eriksen being on a list of names for RM that also included Pogba & Van De Beek (and that Zidane didn't actually want him) or b) courted by Man United (a move that Eriksen was alleged not to be keen on).

Whilst I'm not claiming any of that to be concrete fact (simply media chatter) it's slightly more credible that baseless fan assumption.

Makes me laugh; as much as a tight cunt as Levy is made out to be, it seems awfully contradictory that he'd happily sit back and see CE leave for zilch if (as you claim) his manager didn't even want him.... Which in itself is curious given we've been reported to have been waving contracts at him long into THIS season (under both Poch & Jose's reigns).

I must be naive then because when the top clubs want a player they go and get him. Real Madrid wanted Hazard, who had 1 year left on his contract so they paid over £100m for him.

If Madrid, Barca, Juve etc wanted Eriksen they would have got him. The fact that there was not a single bid and now the player who only wanted to leave for the biggest clubs in Europe is likely off to Inter, who haven’t won anything major for years, says it all about how overrated Eriksen is by some of our fans/media.

Back
Top Bottom