Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That sounds like a slow narrow clusterfuck to me.

Ball moves faster than players can run.
Let's face it - Son and Kane are at least two heads above all other attacking players (Bale, Lucas, Lamela, Vinicius, Bergwijn, Clarke), so utilizing them and getting talented footballers who can deliver passes at the right time to the right spot could be everything else than what you said.

But its a moot point anyway cause those 3 conditions will not be fulfilled..

Ball moves faster than players can run.
Let's face it - Son and Kane are at least two heads above all other attacking players (Bale, Lucas, Lamela, Vinicius, Bergwijn, Clarke), so utilizing them and getting talented footballers who can deliver passes at the right time to the right spot could be everything else than what you said.

But its a moot point anyway cause those 3 conditions will not be fulfilled..

Football isn't as simple as fielding more technically superior players on the pitch than your opponent.... If it was Man City wouldn't lose a couple of games per season to the likes of Palace, WHam or Newcastle.

Ultimately, I just don't think we really have cause for a player of Eriksen's blend of skill-set right now..... Perhaps for when we're mixing and matching A & B team players whilst we're in the EL group stages, but that alone wouldn't be much of a 'carrot' for Eriksen given his status in the Inter squad.

No thank you.

Him switching off was a big part of why Poch failed in the end. Eriksen lowered his game for so long that he lost it entirely and is now a shadow of the player he used to be for us.

Pretty sure the whole team did. I remember being very happily surprised that Poch finally dropped Eriksen for Gio for his last game as manager.

I'm sure somebody would correct me but this is the last goal Poch's Spurs conceeded.

Can’t believe that anyone would seriously want Eriksen back with our current squad. The guy’s career is crashing and he’s shown mental weakness both with us and Inter. We don’t need pointless goodwill gestures. We’re forming winners. Trophy winners.

He signed a four and a half year contract worth 10m a year ... that means anyone signing him after just one year would need to cover three and a half years and 35m in salary, that's for a player who would be 32 years old and have no resale value when that contract expired ... and that's only if Inter were prepared to release him on a free back to us.

Whether you think he can offer much as an additional AM has to be balanced against that cost ...

We could sign a Eduardo Camavinga for somewhere close to that 35m, he's just 21 and in three and a half years could be worth 70m ... and he's a DM something we need far more than an ageing AM.

We absolutely do need another DM of quality.

Get one and I think it would be huge.

The only possible reason I can come up with for why someone would want him back at this point is purely nostalgia. He has moved on and so have we. I have no idea what he would offer us now and how he fits into the team.
We struggle to break down teams who park their bus. Eriksen had come up clutch on many occasions against teams like that. Either by creating great chances or scoring a long ranger out of nowhere.

There's a tendency among fans to devaluate a player's contribution if he leaves on bad terms. I've seen plenty of people saying Eriksen was terrible in his last 18 months at Spurs. That simply isn't true. Eriksen was mostly very good in the 2018/19 season. We probably endured the worst sequence of injuries any club has faced in the last 5-6 seasons (in PL at least) in that season. Eriksen had to fill in as a CM in a 2 man midfield on a lot of occasions, especially after Dembele got injured against Wolves and then never played another match for us. His performance dropped slightly in that period but he again picked it up when we started playing in the new WHL. People have forgotten but Eriksen was actually involved (either scoring or assisting) in almost every single goal in the NWHL during the first few matches, winning us some valuable points. Without those key points, we wouldn't have finished in the top 4 that season.

Even in the 2019/20 season, just think back to the first game of the season against Villa. We were 1-0 down at home and struggling to create anything at all. But as soon as Eriksen got introduced, we were suddenly a completely different team. Started creating chances, good chances. He didn't score or assist in that match but he was vital to us winning.

He was mostly poor in the 2019/20 season though. That's 6 months, not 18. He lost the fans as soon as he made those comments about a "new challenge". That was a really stupid thing to do. He actually did imply if Madrid or Barca (or Juve) didn't come for him, he'd be happy to sign a new deal (or that's what I got from that interview) but the media conveniently failed to highlight that. He was poor, but so was almost the whole team. So singling him out is kind of unfair. But fans were sort of starting to get on his back in matches as soon as he hit a poor pass or hit a poor set-piece. So when Inter came up with an offer he was basically just relieved to get a fresh start somewhere.

Another issue I have is when people claimed "he switched off" and was to blame for Poch's downfall. No, Poch's downfall was totally due to our deteriorated defence, mainly defensive midfield position. Not getting the chance to refresh the squad is what cost Poch's job in the end.

Eriksen's confidence was obviously low. Plus as we witnessed in the early part of 2016/17, his performance gets impacted when there are issues with his contract. That's not to say that he intentionally underperformed. He didn't just flick a switch and say that's it I'm not going to perform anymore. It's not so black and white. A lot of things contrived to put our whole team and Eriksen in that situation.

Anyway back to my original point about why I want Eriksen back. As I said, we struggle against teams who park the bus. We don't have a playmaker. Sure we have Kane but he creates chances differently. Most of Kane's assists have actually come from the deep-lying playmaker position. But creating chances from that position is a lot difficult when there are 8 defenders between him and whoever he is trying to pass to. Eriksen is very good in and around the box. That's why he provided a lot of assists from the attacking third.

We used to regularly score 4-5 against bus parking teams in the peak Poch years with Eriksen dictating the play. Under Mourinho in this season, we seem enjoy playing against teams who attack us but have struggled against teams who let us have the ball. So far we've struggled against Everton, Newcastle (2nd half). Burnley and WBA. I believe we'd have struggled far less if we had Eriksen either playing as a CAM or from the right.

Anyway, it's probably not likely to happen because we already have too many foreign players in our squad. And Inter would want too much money anyway. But if Inter decide to act charitably, similar to how Madrid did with Bale, and Jose finds space in the squad, I'd take Eriksen back in a heartbeat.

We struggle to break down teams who park their bus. Eriksen had come up clutch on many occasions against teams like that. Either by creating great chances or scoring a long ranger out of nowhere.

There's a tendency among fans to devaluate a player's contribution if he leaves on bad terms. I've seen plenty of people saying Eriksen was terrible in his last 18 months at Spurs. That simply isn't true. Eriksen was mostly very good in the 2018/19 season. We probably endured the worst sequence of injuries any club has faced in the last 5-6 seasons (in PL at least) in that season. Eriksen had to fill in as a CM in a 2 man midfield on a lot of occasions, especially after Dembele got injured against Wolves and then never played another match for us. His performance dropped slightly in that period but he again picked it up when we started playing in the new WHL. People have forgotten but Eriksen was actually involved (either scoring or assisting) in almost every single goal in the NWHL during the first few matches, winning us some valuable points. Without those key points, we wouldn't have finished in the top 4 that season.

Even in the 2019/20 season, just think back to the first game of the season against Villa. We were 1-0 down at home and struggling to create anything at all. But as soon as Eriksen got introduced, we were suddenly a completely different team. Started creating chances, good chances. He didn't score or assist in that match but he was vital to us winning.

He was mostly poor in the 2019/20 season though. That's 6 months, not 18. He lost the fans as soon as he made those comments about a "new challenge". That was a really stupid thing to do. He actually did imply if Madrid or Barca (or Juve) didn't come for him, he'd be happy to sign a new deal (or that's what I got from that interview) but the media conveniently failed to highlight that. He was poor, but so was almost the whole team. So singling him out is kind of unfair. But fans were sort of starting to get on his back in matches as soon as he hit a poor pass or hit a poor set-piece. So when Inter came up with an offer he was basically just relieved to get a fresh start somewhere.

Another issue I have is when people claimed "he switched off" and was to blame for Poch's downfall. No, Poch's downfall was totally due to our deteriorated defence, mainly defensive midfield position. Not getting the chance to refresh the squad is what cost Poch's job in the end.

Eriksen's confidence was obviously low. Plus as we witnessed in the early part of 2016/17, his performance gets impacted when there are issues with his contract. That's not to say that he intentionally underperformed. He didn't just flick a switch and say that's it I'm not going to perform anymore. It's not so black and white. A lot of things contrived to put our whole team and Eriksen in that situation.

Anyway back to my original point about why I want Eriksen back. As I said, we struggle against teams who park the bus. We don't have a playmaker. Sure we have Kane but he creates chances differently. Most of Kane's assists have actually come from the deep-lying playmaker position. But creating chances from that position is a lot difficult when there are 8 defenders between him and whoever he is trying to pass to. Eriksen is very good in and around the box. That's why he provided a lot of assists from the attacking third.

We used to regularly score 4-5 against bus parking teams in the peak Poch years with Eriksen dictating the play. Under Mourinho in this season, we seem enjoy playing against teams who attack us but have struggled against teams who let us have the ball. So far we've struggled against Everton, Newcastle (2nd half). Burnley and WBA. I believe we'd have struggled far less if we had Eriksen either playing as a CAM or from the right.

Anyway, it's probably not likely to happen because we already have too many foreign players in our squad. And Inter would want too much money anyway. But if Inter decide to act charitably, similar to how Madrid did with Bale, and Jose finds space in the squad, I'd take Eriksen back in a heartbeat.
Great post. I would have Eriksen back but...what non -HG do we get rid of?

LLORIS
AURIER
ALDERWEIRELD
SANCHEZ
DIER
REGUILON
HOJBJERG
SISSOKO
NDOMBELE
LAMELA
LO CELSO
BERGWIJN
MOURA
SON
VINICIUS
DAVIES
RODON

Got to feel for the guy a bit I must say...

Things really aren't working out for him at Inter. I wouldn't want him back here but I do wish his career hadn't gone up in flames like this.
He's not playing sunday league just yet. I think there are plenty of good teams that would want want him in their squad. Maybe not best of the best but still.

Got to feel for the guy a bit I must say...

Things really aren't working out for him at Inter. I wouldn't want him back here but I do wish his career hadn't gone up in flames like this.

He's on qtr of a million per week to sit on their bench... He'll be fine.

I understand the sentiment, but pretty much everything you mentioned talks about the Eriksen of old, or the team from 2+ seasons ago. This is exactly what I was talking about.

We made multiple attempts to get him to stay, he didn't want to. We needed him to step up for the 1 to 1 1/2 years before he left, and he let up. He waited to run down his contract so he would get a better deal. Do I solely blame him for Poch's departure or our form at the time? No, but look at the work ethic between what he provided and what Kane, Jan, Toby, Son, and others provided.

I really thought he might light it up at Inter with a different tempo to the games and a change of scenery. He has shown an inability to get into the side, and/or he did something to turn off Conte. Either way, there is nothing ahowing at this moment that would make it appear he would come back AND be anywhere near the player he once was.

Every argument is literally some version of "but what if..."

Not only is there no place in this team for a sulking midfielder to come enter the side with his tail between his legs, I don't see how he fits in a starting 11 given our cureent team. He wouldn't offer as much as Ndombele, he doesn't offer the atracking threats of Kane or Son, Sissoko for all his faults offers us physicality and high work rate, he can't press or ofder us the speed of other attacking options, and Lo Celso offers us far more creativity, physicality, and heart than I saw in 2 years with Eriksen.

It won't and shouldn't happen. My guess is that his next challenge will not be a flattering opportumity for him, and he only has himself to blame.

Football isn't as simple as fielding more technically superior players on the pitch than your opponent.... If it was Man City wouldn't lose a couple of games per season to the likes of Palace, WHam or Newcastle.

Ultimately, I just don't think we really have cause for a player of Eriksen's blend of skill-set right now..... Perhaps for when we're mixing and matching A & B team players whilst we're in the EL group stages, but that alone wouldn't be much of a 'carrot' for Eriksen given his status in the Inter squad.

No it is not.
But nor is football so simple game that you just put on quick runners and then win all the games, is it ? :D
Don't see your point stating something so obvious.

I think everything depends on what we expect to get with Eriksen right now.. do we believe that his decline was down to motivation or down to something else. Cause if it was motivation and he could get back to his prime, I would argue massively that player who is able to work hard on the field for 90 minutes, pick out very accurate and cleaver passes to teammates and have decent long range shot on him would in fact be quite useful. Talking about creative players we have Ndombele who almost never lasts more than 65 minutes and can't play 2 games a week, plus we have Gio who is almost in the same bracket based on this season.

He didn't want to stay and turn it around when things went shit. He doesn't deserve to reap the rewards of the efforts of the players that stuck with us and have put in the effort to get us back up there.

I don't want him in the PL, easy as that. Bundesliga would be good for him.
saw a few rumours of Dortmund. That would be perfect for him. A club that really looks after their players a real "arm around the shoulder club. He'd thrive there.

*In saying that they do have Brant and Reus in the 3 behind Haaland so not sure there's room for him.

saw a few rumours of Dortmund. That would be perfect for him. A club that really looks after their players a real "arm around the shoulder club. He'd thrive there.

*In saying that they do have Brant and Reus in the 3 behind Haaland so not sure there's room for him.

They also have Bellingham, Sancho and Reyna who they want to give enough games.

Back
Top Bottom