Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not sure the issue is that he lacks the build or physicality, but that he's just not an aggressive or tenacious player. He's bizarrely level-headed and calm for a footballer, and especially a young one. Too level-headed IMO, as I'd like to see him get a bit pissed more often and go after the game a bit more often. Demand to get involved. When someone displaces him from the ball, he just doesn't even react. I think he has the desire, but if he can incorporate a bit more "fire and grit" into his game he really can go on to be one of the absolute best players at his position in Europe.
You could well be right, my concern was that he seemed to be easily pushed off the ball, and I just put that down to he needed beefing up a bit or that he wasn't used to the physical side of the game in England. Whatever it is, I'm hoping he can put it right and we see a bit more 'oomph' or whatever the technical term is.

I'm not sure the issue is that he lacks the build or physicality, but that he's just not an aggressive or tenacious player. He's bizarrely level-headed and calm for a footballer, and especially a young one. Too level-headed IMO, as I'd like to see him get a bit pissed more often and go after the game a bit more often. Demand to get involved. When someone displaces him from the ball, he just doesn't even react. I think he has the desire, but if he can incorporate a bit more "fire and grit" into his game he really can go on to be one of the absolute best players at his position in Europe.
Hmmm. There's no doubting his talent but I don't think he will ever become that player. His quality is subtle in the Iniesta mould.

Hmmm. There's no doubting his talent but I don't think he will ever become that player. His quality is subtle in the Iniesta mould.

Interesting. Why do you think he wouldn't with so much talent and so much time on his hands?

Hell I'll fly over to England and inject some bull shark testosterone into him whilst he sleeps if it puts a bit of cuntiness into his play.

Interesting. Why do you think he wouldn't with so much talent and so much time on his hands?

Hell I'll fly over to England and inject some bull shark testosterone into him whilst he sleeps if it puts a bit of cuntiness into his play.
I just don't see him as that type. He will beef up (maybe already has?) for the prem but he's not the type of player to put his foot in. I think he is mor refined than that and whilst he'll be no pushover won't be a Roy Keane either.

cahspur cahspur Mate you've got to do something about your avatar. I understand the reason for it, but every time I read one of your posts I have this mental image of a demented Kim Jong Un discussing the finer points of Tottenham's transfer targets and potential centre back pairings on a communist Talksport. It's cracking me up. :dawsonlol:

cahspur cahspur Mate you've got to do something about your avatar. I understand the reason for it, but every time I read one of your posts I have this mental image of a demented Kim Jong Un discussing the finer points of Tottenham's transfer targets and potential centre back pairings on a communist Talksport. It's cracking me up. :dawsonlol:

I think I may photoshop a football onto his desk now that you mention it.

I just don't see him as that type. He will beef up (maybe already has?) for the prem but he's not the type of player to put his foot in. I think he is mor refined than that and whilst he'll be no pushover won't be a Roy Keane either.

Yeah I certainly can't argue with that, just hold out hope it'll change even just a little as he gains more experience and ages.

Maybe I just have an anger problem as evidenced by my battles with Gibbs, but when I was Eriksen's age (not so long ago) nothing fucked me off more than being physically dislodged from the ball. Nay, not even my high school girlfriend confessing she kissed some other dude in a hot tub at the beach. I saw nothing but red in my eyes until the ball was back at my feet.

Of course, that may also have to do with with why I now play in an adult rec league in Alabama, while Eriksen plays for Tottenham Hotspur FC. :cautious:

Yeah I certainly can't argue with that, just hold out hope it'll change even just a little as he gains more experience and ages.

Maybe I just have an anger problem as evidenced by my battles with Gibbs, but when I was Eriksen's age (not so long ago) nothing fucked me off more than being physically dislodged from the ball. Nay, not even my high school girlfriend confessing she kissed some other dude in a hot tub at the beach. I saw nothing but red in my eyes until the ball was back at my feet.

Of course, that may also have to do with with why I now play in an adult rec league in Alabama while Eriksen plays for Tottenham Hotspur FC. :cautious:
Ha! Exactly. I feel he is a thinking player and so holds his emotions in check. Let's hope anyway!

Getting excited with the Eriksen / Lamela partnership for the upcoming season

Delving deeper into last season’s data also bodes well for Eriksen. From Gameweek 17 onwards (ie, the first game under Sherwood), the Spurs playmaker produced 50 key passes – only four midfielders managed more, with Chelsea’s Willian top with 56, whilst Hazard was just two ahead of the Dane on 52. Eriksen was joint-fourth for goals (seven) in midfield over those final 22 Gameweeks – only Yaya Toure, Steven Gerrard and Hazard managed more, though the trio had spot-kick duties to fall back upon. Eriksen averaged 41.5 minutes per attempt under Sherwood – only slightly slower than Hazard’s 39, for example – and with a 17.9% conversion rate in his final 18 appearances, the Dane’s eye for goal is more than apparent.

After last year’s disappointment, it’s easy to forget Lamela’s capabilities. Further assessment of his 2013/13 season in Serie A shows he fired 86 shots – an average of 2.6 attempts per game was bettered by only two midfielders in the Premier League last season, Yohan Cabaye and Philippe Coutinho. Despite being fielded out wide by the Italian outfit, Lamela also chipped in creatively – a total of 56 chances created equates to 1.7 per appearance; on a par with Cabaye and team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor in the previous campaign.

If Lamela produces the goods and helps carry the burden of creativity then I expect Eriksen will be more quietly and steadily productive than his furious second-half last season. Lamela will be feeling more of that pressure, I expect.

I'm tipping Eriksen to be our best player this season again.
With players on the same pass and move wavelength, improved team, plus a non retarded system he will excel imo.

He is key for me this season.

He's cool, calm and does not rage shoot and fuck his form up like so many Spurs players shooting in anger or frustration.

He is the intelligence we need and he has to have a free role with protection for him to use his reading of the game to be dangerous.

His set pieces are going to be valuable too. Him and Lamela could be a force for the next decade. I just hope Lennon and Townsend are not involved as it will just derp everything up.

It's a tightrope. Young players with talent need everything set up for them to perform. We need steady players surrounding them. If it's too ragged it will be a roller coaster.

Last edited:
He is key for me this season.

He's cool, calm and does not rage shoot and fuck his form up like so many Spurs players shooting in anger or frustration.

He is the intelligence we need and he has to have a free role with protection for him to use his reading of the game to be dangerous.

His set pieces are going to be valuable too. Him and Lamela could be a force for the next decade. I just hope Lennon and Townsend are not involved as it will just derp everything up.

It's a tightrope. Young players with talent need everything set up for them to perform. We need steady players surrounding them. If it's too ragged it will be a roller coaster.

I am not as negative about Townsend, I believe while he is greedy he is also technically very good unlike Lennon, he needs to mature by which I mean not be greedy all the time, he is still very young so he should be given time.

Back
Top Bottom