Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, for generally being the weakest link when we're not on form. Was absolutely appalling against Chelsea that season, even when he played them through with no pressure while filling in at left back (and whining about it to the papers), yet didn't seem to care.

Spurs fans pay their good hard earned money to see a player earning millions look like he's not giving a damn. It's disrespectful.

That's not what he continually gets abused for. A whole lot of players behaved like that, and quite often too. E.g. crowd favourites Michael Dawson and Mousa Dembele were quite simply criminal in e.g. AVB's last game, both involved heavily bottling tackles, interceptions and tracking in at least a couple of goals each.

They don't care either, by your argument.

The weakest link? Oh dear.

1st - Jan isn't a captain.

2nd - I assume you're now bashing Ledley King. Won a cup for us as captain (the last cup we won), and also captained us in the final the following year. So yes, we were good then, and that was the basis, and turning point, for our modern day status.

No, I am not. Try again. So I am not answering that straw man either.

Problem is we have a team full of passion and graft nowadays and Eriksen looks much less industrious than his counterparts. If Eriksen played for a Spurs team anywhere from 6 to 20 years ago he would look like a hard worker than most as we had a lot more luxury players.

I agree with others that his bottling of tackles is irritating, but he has a different approach to tackling that seems to work for him where he closes down at intelligent angles and tries to poke loose. Realistically he is not going to want to go leg to leg with most any other player which is fair enough as we don't pick him for his tackling. As long as he can continue to create chances and deliver good set pieces he is doing enough.

We shouldn't get the pitchforks out for an under-performing Eriksen as we currently have nobody with his technical ability to fill in. Like it or not, he is still our most influential creative force.

But he isn't. Not only is one of ours but one of the leagues hardest working midfielders.

It's because fans can't accept him not looking laboured and not pointing-shouting-flapping arms.

That's not what he continually gets abused for. A whole lot of players behaved like that, and quite often too. E.g. crowd favourites Michael Dawson and Mousa Dembele were quite simply criminal in e.g. AVB's last game, both involved heavily bottling tackles, interceptions and tracking in at least a couple of goals each.

They don't care either, by your argument.

The weakest link? Oh dear.

One game does not make a habit. Dawson was the epitomy of a player who put in 200% more effort than he had talent.

No, I am not. Try again. So I am not answering that straw man either.

It's not a straw man - you're being incredibly odd by stating fact then backtracking when called. You must be talking about king....

Not enough shouting, pointing and flapping arms like "glorious" captains of the past decade. Oh, how good were we then, remember.

LOL

Past decade = 2006 to 2016.

Tottenham Captains since 2006:

Ledley King (2003/04 to 2011/12)
Michael Dawson (2012/13 to 13/14)
Younes Kaboul (2014/15, handful of games)
Hugo Lloris (2014/15 to present)

Our poorer seasons were well prior to King's retirement, so who/when are you referring to, then? .

I'm not going to discuss the merits of what Eriksen should be paid. As he has come out and said it's nonsense. He is a key component to our midfield and has been for three seasons. To suggest he does nothing means a lot of people don't actually see his contribution to the side. He may not going tearing about like Lamela but his defensive game is built around positioning, blocking attacks and pressing so that we win the ball back. We look less composed if he isn't playing. Granted he had a bad game, but he wasn't the only one.

The squawka stats suggest he was our 4th most consistent player last season. Ahead of Alli and Lamela.

jB2n1we.jpg
internet explorer?:llorishuh::carrollwtf:

One game does not make a habit. Dawson was the epitomy of a player who put in 200% more effort than he had talent.

It's not a straw man - you're being incredibly odd by stating fact then backtracking when called. You must be talking about king....

Past decade = 2006 to 2016.

Tottenham Captains since 2006:

Ledley King (2003/04 to 2011/12)
Michael Dawson (2012/13 to 13/14)
Younes Kaboul (2014/15, handful of games)
Hugo Lloris (2014/15 to present)

Our poorer seasons were well prior to King's retirement, so who/when are you referring to, then? .

Still not talking about King. Good try though, straw man never goes out of fashion.

Still not talking about King. Good try though, straw man never goes out of fashion.

So basically, you're talking shit because twice now you've refused to offer any facts or evidence, even with the options presented. Nice one, good contribution :adethumbup:

Eriksen IS weak in possession. Last season he was muscled off the ball by Juan Mata ffs. For shame!
I think Eriksen will struggle against Man Utd and Chelsea this season. For me, Eriksen is more
of a Champions League player than a EPL player because he needs space to perform his trickery.
I miss a lot of games due to work commitments but I will be watching this player closely this season
when I am able to.

Wasn't he right up there for us in KM covered per game for most of last season ?

Most of our midfield was, but it was often ranked..

Alli
Eriksen
Lamela
Kane

...in terms of distance covered, which pretty much ends up just being positional. The distance covered thing is very much the true straw man of the whole topic, as I don't think anyone has suggested he is lazy or doesn't cover a lot of ground, I think it's more of a suggestion (and I hate to use a gibbs-ism) that he could provide a bit more resilience. It's shocking how much grief Lamela got for being slight of frame, but Eriksen never seems to be picked up for this, and I feel like it's a real weakness in his game.

Don't use a non-story to pursue an anti Eriksen agenda. If you can't see he's one of our most important players you're a fucking idiot.

He was fucking awful on Saturday, irrespective of who thinks he is one of the most important players or not. I may be an idiot in your eyes, but i am not in denial of that fact.

Enlighten yourself you fucking weird northern troll. "He's Danish" you shrill.

Let me guess - you're Danish, and you think that that gives you a pass in this debate? You come over as an ignorant, foppish twat. Fucking Danes talking about football? They all fuck off after we go 1-0 down. Stick to your own dreary lives, and stop pretending you're Louis the 14th. Fuck's sake. We left Europe - what don't you cunts get about that?

We hate you - especially Denmark. Fucking weird cunts.

If Gold medals were handed out for that you'd have more fucking gongs than Phelps.

not every player has the same qualities eriksen is not dier or lamela he doesnt have the physical prowess for that he uses his intelligence he wasnt the only one who sucked on saturday sometimes you guys go on like you dont watch football

That is the type of player Eriksen is. If he wasn't a grafter he wouldn't be in then team. I doubt Pochettino would pick him, regardless of how good he was.
He doesn't throw himself into tackles, he's not that kind of player. He positions himself well when we defend. Just look when he plays he is always aware of where he is and who is around him. He is one of those players who knows what he's going to do before he gets it. A chess player on the football pitch.
He will stay on his feet and try an nick it. Yes he does seem to bottle tackles, but then he's not injured that much. He's a very intelligent player. Even when he shoots he's trying to deceive the keeper with his action or he waits until the defender splits his legs, hits it through them and uses him as a shield.
He is quick thinking and usually the instigator when we hit on the break. Numerous times he has nicked the ball to start an attack.
He has had a dip in form, which is usual. However, his set piece delivery will pick up. He also needs a goal to provide some confidence.
Eriksen can be frustrating. His biggest weakness is not his tackling or lack of passion but his consistency.

He was fucking awful on Saturday, irrespective of who thinks he is one of the most important players or not. I may be an idiot in your eyes, but i am not in denial of that fact.

Nor am I. He was poor. My point was that you and others were happy to slate him on the back of a fucking tweet. Why not just say he was poor? Instead of shrieking about bogus wage demands.

Wasn't he right up there for us in KM covered per game for most of last season ?

Yes, amongst best in the league. This little "wimp" not being "industrious" enough. Perhaps he should commit more fouls in silly places, rather than just win the ball in the oppositions final third a whole lot. That'll teach them, surely. Wait, and more silly bookings too.

So basically, you're talking shit because twice now you've refused to offer any facts or evidence, even with the options presented. Nice one, good contribution :adethumbup:

No. Read my posts again and make another attempt.

... Or go on to your usual modus of having a go at our own players. In fact, not just one of our but one of the leagues best players at all over the last 2 seasons. If in doubt say hello from me at squawka, whoscored or wherever.

Back
Top Bottom