Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch also made his game that effective. I'm sure whoever Poch decides to bring in to replace him he could mould into having similar stats. Players who leave Poch don't tend to have the same level after. Maybe walker but he's at the best team in the league under one of the best managers.

It's been said ad nauseam that none of us really want him to go but he has done nothing to convince us that he wants to stay - ball is in his court and has been all along.

Agree with all that Mrs p but the chart emphasises that if he goes we need players with big boots to fill the whole he leaves - apparant that we are trying not to replace like with like but with several players able to create so not so dependent upon any one player.

Of course if he still stays and we sign one or two new AMs or CM!AMs , could be even better !

26 goals and assists last season in PL, CL 18/19.

23 PL/CL 17/18

26 in 16/17

21 in 15/16.

Just had his joint most productive season in his spurs career. Whilst also playing deeper in midfield more than any other season.

Not bad for a disinterested shitter, phoning it in week after week, eh?

Poch also made his game that effective. I'm sure whoever Poch decides to bring in to replace him he could mould into having similar stats. Players who leave Poch don't tend to have the same level after. Maybe walker but he's at the best team in the league under one of the best managers.

This one doesn't pass the smell test. Eriksen was here the season before Poch came, and he played at a high level. Poch's pressing system has played to Eriksen's strengths, but he's a very good player with or without Poch.

I am also not at all sure that whoever we replace Eriksen with will have similar stats. Poch is an excellent manager but he can't transform every player who comes in into a world beater. We've still got the Janssens and Nkoudous, etc. For any professional player in the highest leagues, the number one driver in their development is themselves, not their coach.

26 goals and assists last season in PL, CL 18/19.
8 PL goals against:
Burnley
Everton
Bournemouth
Cardiff
Leicester
Palace
Brighton

Of his 12 PL assists, 6 were against top 6 opposition

2 CL goals:
Inter

4 CL assists against City (2), Dortmund, PSV

So basically in the PL and CL, of this 26 goals and assists, 8 were against top 6, and they were all assists, no goals.

Good stats, and important ones but hardly the big game player people are trying to make out by lumping it all together as "26 goals and assists".

Last edited:
8 PL goals against:
Burnley
Everton
Bournemouth
Cardiff
Leicester
Palace
Brighton

2 CL goals:
Inter

So basically in the PL and CL, of this 26 goals and assists, 8 were against top 6, and they were all assists, no goals.

Good stats, and important ones but hardly the big game player people are trying to make out by lumping it all together as "26 goals and assists".

Now THAT is how you use and break down stats properly. Take note BC.

It's been said ad nauseam that none of us really want him to go but he has done nothing to convince us that he wants to stay - ball is in his court and has been all along.

I'd like him to stay, but only if he's committed. I don't want him coasting through this season like he did for part of last season.

Anything less than 100% effort, then I'd rather we got rid of him, and got in Lo Celso / Ceballos etc.

That said, he has still been a good servant for us, and I would wish him well should he go. But that's it.

8 PL goals against:
Burnley
Everton
Bournemouth
Cardiff
Leicester
Palace
Brighton

2 CL goals:
Inter

As ever Sammy, when you can't win the argument, you just try to fly a slightly new one.

His goal tally is almost certainly effected by the fact that he played deeper in nearly 50% of his games this season, surely even you can understand the logic of this.

That "lumped together" bunch of "nice and important" stats is actually goals and assists, without which we would be nowhere near the top4 or out of our CL group.

The fact is he still produced 10 assists in big games (top 6 and 2 CL QF's) , which is a major part of his remit kind of negates your argument doesn't? I doubt there was a player in the PL who produced more assists against top 6 than Eriksen was there (maybe one of the City boys?)?

And in previous three seasons when he's spent more time as an AM, his goal tally in big games(I just looked at top 5 not 6) is very decent - 8 goals and 7 assists. And goals against Juve, Real Madrid, and Dortmund

He's as much a big game player as anyone we've got.

As ever Sammy, when you can't win the argument, you just try to fly a slightly new one.

His goal tally is almost certainly effected by the fact that he played deeper in nearly 50% of his games this season, surely even you can understand the logic of this.

That "lumped together" bunch of "nice and important" stats is actually goals and assists, without which we would be nowhere near the top4 or out of our CL group.

The fact is he still produced 10 assists in big games (top 6 and 2 CL QF's) , which is a major part of his remit kind of negates your argument doesn't? I doubt there was a player in the PL who produced more assists against top 6 than Eriksen was there (maybe one of the City boys?)?

And in previous three seasons when he's spent more time as an AM, his goal tally in big games(I just looked at top 5 not 6) is very decent - 8 goals and 7 assists. And goals against Juve, Real Madrid, and Dortmund

Nah

Criticize Eriksen all you like, but those rankings show that whoever replaces him has a heck of a job to fill his boots
He doesn’t have to beat his stats though.
If Eriksen leaves and we score 90 goals as a team, but the new guy only gets 4, so what?

Im happy for someone to come in a open up the play, and more from everyone around him.
Maybe the new guy gets Dele into a rythm again, clicks with Winks, gets the best out of Kane.
Stuff Eriksen failed to do last season, so there are tons of things that we can improve on without Eriksens personal tally.

There’s a couple of last minute winners in those goals against the wee teams too. As well as important second goals to make points safe or allow us to build to a clear victory.

He doesn’t have to beat his stats though.
If Eriksen leaves and we score 90 goals as a team, but the new guy only gets 4, so what?

Im happy for someone to come in a open up the play, and more from everyone around him.
Maybe the new guy gets Dele into a rythm again, clicks with Winks, gets the best out of Kane.
Stuff Eriksen failed to do last season, so there are tons of things that we can improve on without Eriksens personal tally.

Yep good points there

Back
Top Bottom