Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would generally agree, but training isn’t the same as playing. If it were, all managers would get it right all the time - which they don’t. It’s the interaction of players that is important, and that is the discipline.
Fair enough. I do actually agree, but how do you justify playing someone if they're training so much worse than everyone else all week? Even if the other guys are playing shit in the actual matches, you have far more reason to believe that they can put in good performances (eventually) in games. Using someone who's significantly worse in training than their counterpart in a real match is a ballsy (or crazy) fucking move in a knife-edge profession like modern football management.

I was maybe a bit too harsh on fans in my last post though. I do get it: even if we can't really know the truth, half of the fun is speculating, whether it be about transfers or lineups.

Fair enough. I do actually agree, but how do you justify playing someone if they're training so much worse than everyone else all week? Even if the other guys are playing shit in the actual matches, you have far more reason to believe that they can put in good performances (eventually) in games. Using someone who's significantly worse in training than their counterpart in a real match is a ballsy (or crazy) fucking move in a knife-edge profession like modern football management.

I was maybe a bit too harsh on fans in my last post though. I do get it: even if we can't really know the truth, half of the fun is speculating, whether it be about transfers or lineups.

But what does ‘significantly worse in training’ actually mean at that level? Surely it’s not just about energy levels? It might well be an inability to implement the manager’s ideas in practice games - it could be any number of things - which brings us back to your original point - we don’t actually know.

But what does ‘significantly worse in training’ actually mean at that level? Surely it’s not just about energy levels? It might well be an inability to implement the manager’s ideas in practice games - it could be any number of things - which brings us back to your original point - we don’t actually know.
This is one of those problems that will be reduced to "why anything?" if we follow it for long enough. I love epistemological nihilism but I don't love wasting people's time with it. ;)

Let's just put it down as one of those many not-completely-rational things that we football fans do together. Largely unsighted speculation is a huge part of our discussions. If we removed that uncertainty and only discussed things we could logically prove, football forums would be shit and boring.

The original comment was just meant to be a throwaway postscript and I lazily cast too wide a net: it's not necessarily undesirable or pointless to speculate about managers' motivations and their behaviour towards their players and lineups (managers are fallible despite all of the extra information they have, which gives us plenty to talk about). It is illogical to assume an agenda or anything like that when we have no view into midweek work but I don't really have an issue with it until someone starts stating as objective fact (beyond the usual throwaway assertions we all make from time to time) things that they just can't know, like saying "Lo Celso hasn't had much playing time until recently because he wasn't performing to Jose's standards in training" (as a random example).

Anyway, I'm going a bit long now, but hopefully you get my point. You seem smart and I'd rather discuss something meaningful like the role of VAR in modern football than small differences in semantics to bridge a tiny (or nonexistent) gap between our views on a trivial issue. "Significant" could, like you say, mean almost anything (even down to a few percent among elite athletes). BTW, as a scientist, whenever I say "significant", you can take it to mean "there would be a statistically significant difference between these things" because that's what I'm used to (but that's still ambiguous in this context because I could be talking about whatever is "significant" in Jose's eyes).

Goodnight, mate! TC.

Last edited:
I reckon that this saga is being dragged out for the Amazon documentary.
Last minute transfers add to the drama (as if we haven't had enough already!).

You could be right but transfers as we all know can fall through and I don’t think that will be good for anyone, least of all Eriksen. Imagine another 4/6 months of speculation and divisiveness!!!

Really don't understand bringing him on last night. He clearly has no interest in playing for us anymore and is terrified of getting injured. Why choose him over a player we've just brought in to improve the team?

Baffling.

You could be right but transfers as we all know can fall through and I don’t think that will be good for anyone, least of all Eriksen. Imagine another 4/6 months of speculation and divisiveness!!!

Imagine another 4/6 months of playing the fucker and continuing to look to the past....!

Really don't understand bringing him on last night. He clearly has no interest in playing for us anymore and is terrified of getting injured. Why choose him over a player we've just brought in to improve the team?

Baffling.
I thought Poch was weird for giving Eriksen so much game time with his uncertainties.

Well the future is a lot clearer with Eriksen highly likely to join Inter and Mourinho is still playing the guy, just don’t get it.

Back
Top Bottom