Combatting racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It must also be racist to comment on how black people have made up over 90%+ of the field of the Olympic and World Championship 100m Finals over the last 20 years.

Surely it can’t be the fact that they are there because they are actually quicker/better than everyone else?

The ‘study’ is flawed. It makes no reference to whether the footballers being talked about were actually powerful, quick, skilful, intelligent etc. Calling Christian Eriksen skilful is justified. Calling Sissoko strong is justified. Calling Iniesta intelligent is justified. Calling Raheem Sterling powerful is not because he is 5’6” and built like a pencil.

The study is designed to be provocative. It is nothing more than bait, jumping on the back of current events. There needs to be further data surrounding each incident regarding the player’s attributes. If it’s proven to be the case that commentators are using racial prejudice to describe players of colour instead of their actual ability and attributes then that would be the time to have a wider discussion.

This study is meaningless without that data.
I'd not be so certain about dismissing the veracity of this study. Just because Sissoko is objectively powerful is irrelevant. There has been extensive and detailed research about how Europeans perceive people of Afro Carribean backgrounds. They invariably over estimate their size and strength. This is provable data no matter how uncomfortable it makes some people. In soccer this bias may not be very significant but it's there alright. Most destructively, I read a study done by an Indian scientist on the opioid epidemic, he utterly inadvertently came across this fact in qualified American physicians. They under prescribed pain medication for black trauma patients to a quite shocking degree. When he dug into it he found the level of perceptual bias was so great they saw the patients as: bigger , stronger, more physically able to sustain pain and injury. I get that people don't want to accept this but that just a symptom of the problem.

BBG BBM

If racism exists in society I am unsure how anyone can ever believe it won't exist in all sport let alone football.

If there was no overt racism it would still be there.

Until we are honest with ourselves and until the privileged majority accept that privilege and all its manifestations we will never rid ourselves of one of the most senseless divisions known to man.

If racism exists in society I am unsure how anyone can ever believe it won't exist in all sport let alone football.

Until we are honest with ourselves and until the privileged majority accept that privilege and all its manifestations we will never rid ourselves of one of the most senseless divisions known to man.

WTF are you babbling on about ?

Couldn't agree more. Seems self evident.

Lol the deniers come storming out of the blocks. "Fuck the experts! I know more than they do". "They don't know what they are talking about". "Worlds gone mad".

Why don't you read and absorb the results, thinck how it impacts on you personally and then hold a mirror up to yourself and ask if you do the same and if you do perhaps consider there is something you might want to change as it might affect someone else.

Instead of lecturing anyone about anything , why don't you learn how to spell THINK .

I suppose it's not a word you have come across or been encouraged to investigate in your 'education' .

Just about the perfect responce from a person that the report was specifically aimed at! No "this is nonsense", no rage, no "how dare you", no whataboutery and deflection. But embracing it, not a fucking hard thing to do at all.

I have absolutely no fucking idea what planet Aluko is living on. She wants 30% BAME representation in top level jobs in UK Sport. But BAME only make up between 10%-13% of the population (depending on what source you look at) in the UK. So she is aiming for disproportionate levels of BAME individuals in top level sport which would end up putting white people at a disadvantage?

The point we should be hammering home to everyone is that of EQUALITY. We should be striving towards giving everyone equal opportunities to reach the top level in all aspects of life. Not giving people an advantage in life because of the colour of someone's skin. The hypocrisy is mindblowing and in a just world, she'd be sacked.

Last edited:
Lol the deniers come storming out of the blocks. "Fuck the experts! I know more than they do". "They don't know what they are talking about". "Worlds gone mad".

Why don't you read and absorb the results, thinck how it impacts on you personally and then hold a mirror up to yourself and ask if you do the same and if you do perhaps consider there is something you might want to change as it might affect someone else.
People are going to be terrified of saying anything about a players attributes or impact on the game now. What if a black lad is having a stinker, does the white commentator say nothing? Or if a white player is having a mare and a black commentator is covering the game - what does he say?

One of the idiosyncrasies of human kind is clearly evident at the olympics, and that is that black athletes run faster than white/other athletes across virtually all distances, yet strangely white athletes seem to be better swimmers or field events competitors - what do commentators on those sports say now?

You can't just write off a commentary because it's visually accurate, because there are differences intrinsically in the physique, athleticism and physical profiles of people of different races. It isn't racist to say it, it's simply honest commentary.

I have absolutely no fucking idea what planet Aluko is living on. She wants 30% BAME representation in top level jobs in UK Sport. But BAME only make up between 10%-13% of the population (depending on what source you look at) in the UK. So she is aiming for disproportionate levels of BAME individuals in top level sport which would end up putting white people at a disadvantage?

The point we should be hammering home to everyone is that of EQUALITY. We should be striving towards giving everyone equal opportunities to reach the top level in all aspects of life. Not giving people an advantage in life because of the colour of someone's skin. The hypocrisy is mindblowing and in a just world, she'd be sacked.
Although we do actually live in a world where its evident people are NOT given equality BECAUSE of the colour of their skin. It's funny to me the heat and passion someone with NO power suggesting we try to rebalance, how ever temporarily , the systemic problem induces as supposed to the ACTUAL problem......
To the privileged, equality feels like oppression.”

Last edited:

Eni Aluko is an idiot.

I had an amusing “how far we have come” moment when I came across a YouTube from “Bobby Moore/George Best” timeframe (at a guess I would say late 60s, early 70s) with Alf Garnett and the action at the Bowlyn was Man Utd away & some of the language used on something that obviously was broadcast at some point.

I am not saying we have it all sorted now but we have to celebrate the change in minds and attitudes.

Back
Top Bottom