Come here to laugh at Dippers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

or theyll be bought by some abu dhabi oil conglomerate and well you know the rest

I just imagine a Premier League in 10 years time where all the top clubs are owned by billionaires willing to splash cash on anyone and anything. Like a doped up top 6 and the most competitive league in the world in terms of potential winners.

I just imagine a Premier League in 10 years time where all the top clubs are owned by billionaires willing to splash cash on anyone and anything. Like a doped up top 6 and the most competitive league in the world in terms of potential winners.
Even further diminished parity and limited competition. The future seems bleak unless uefa act but uefa is useless and corrupt so they’ll welcome money with open hands.

Even further diminished parity and limited competition. The future seems bleak unless uefa act but uefa is useless and corrupt so they’ll welcome money with open hands.

The moment it becomes purely a game of who has the richest owners, the game - e.g. the romance that keeps div 4 fans in attendance - is dead.

I sense we are on the brink and if this (City, PSG, Chavs before them) is all just brushed under the carpet as suspected, in time we'll all look back at this as being a water-shed moment.

The moment it becomes purely a game of who has the richest owners, the game - e.g. the romance that keeps div 4 fans in attendance - is dead.

I sense we are on the brink and if this (City, PSG, Chavs before them) is all just brushed under the carpet as suspected, in time we'll all look back at this as being a water-shed moment.
I think implementing a system the nba has would help a lot. In order for a league to be competitive you have try to create as an even financial environment as possible. There needs to some sort of cap system in place. But then again it’s also an incentive to develop academies and scouting in order cultivate future stars. Eh I dunno tho

I think implementing a system the nba has would help a lot. In order for a league to be competitive you have try to create as an even financial environment as possible. There needs to some sort of cap system in place. But then again it’s also an incentive to develop academies and scouting in order cultivate future stars. Eh I dunno tho

I hear ya.... I don't profess to have the answers either, but sadly those alleged to the have the know-how and are paid handsomely to look after the integrity of the game have a different agenda.

A cap would simply make the league worse.

All the best players would simply just move to a different country to earn more. You'd probably see a lot more home grown talent playing though, which could be considered a win.

I think what pissed me off so much about City, Chavs and PSG and the corruption their owners brought into the game was the way ex players/pundits who should have know better reacted.

You only have to watch Sky, BT to see them fawning over City’s latest mega purchase then pretend that money has nothing to do with City, Chelsea or PSG success as though it was just a freak accident that billions coming in made them successful.

This either stupidity or wilful ignorance gives a pretence of even handiness in our game that doesn’t exist. The game is corrupt, we all knows it’s corrupt and yet we have to pretend it’s not.

Last edited:
I think what kissed me off so much about City, Chavs and PSG and the corruption their owners brought into the game was the way ex players/pundits who should have know better reacted.

You only have to watch Sky, BT to see them fawning over City’s latest mega purchase then pretend that money has nothing to do with City, Chelsea or PSG success as though it was just a freak accident that billions coming in made them successful.

This either stupidity or wilful ignorance gives a pretence of even handiness in our game that doesn’t exist. The game is corrupt, we all knows it’s corrupt and yet we have to pretend it’s not.

Bang on!

Sadly, they all just want part of the same sweet payola pie....

Maybe the next generation of richer players won't whore out their integrity/credibility post-playing career, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Pretty sure Sonny broke 20 goals that season.... I sense you're purely considering EPL goals.

Edit: Yup... Thought so....

"The forward shone in 2016-17 with 21 goals in all competitions. Indeed, his goal at Leicester on May 18 took him to 20 and made sure this current team created a little more Club history, for the first time, three players weighed in with 20-plus goals in all competitions in a season with Sonny's final 21, Dele Alli's 22 and Harry Kane's 35."

2016-17 in numbers - Son's slice of history

Meanwhile CE was one short in all comps with 19:

Appearances: 48 (36 EPL, 3 FA, 1 LC, 6 UCL, 2 EL)
Goals: 19
Assists: 17

Christian Eriksen made the leap in 2016-17.
Yea, wasnt counting hatricks vs the likes of Milwall, Wycome and other lower division teams. Even Jansen and Llorente can do that job.

Yea, wasnt counting hatricks vs the likes of Milwall, Wycome and other lower division teams. Even Jansen and Llorente can do that job.

I enjoyed those matches and goals.... Shame you didn't.

Seriously tho' why the sneery attitude?

You were original lauding that tallys of Liverpool's front 3: You think Salah's 40+ season wasn't padded out with goals against lesser teams? ...Mane's tally was all against CL-calibre opposition was it?

Your rejection of my post is moot, my fellow yido.

I enjoyed those matches and goals.... Shame you didn't.

Seriously tho' why the sneery attitude?

You were original lauding that tallys of Liverpool's front 3: You think Salah's 40+ season wasn't padded out with goals against lesser teams? ...Mane's tally was all against CL-calibre opposition was it?

Your rejection of my post is moot, my fellow yido.
We all enjoyed matches where we beat was it milwall or wycombe 6-0. Just that goals against crappy teams dont really matter much. I wasnt talking about Mane or liverpool's front 3. Just that if our wingers kept getting 15 league goals a season every year, Id be delighted.

Theres no attitude and no rejection of your post. Maybe you read it that way. Now imagine all these words as if someone is shouting out loud in anger. You will end up thinking I am shouting in anger. Just read them as ..normal words..in a normal tone. Seya in the match thread! :love:

You’d like us to be that a faceless,soulless boring machine spending shit loads of cash on mercenary bang average players that couldn’t give a toss about Tottenham Hotspur,the club,the history or the fans but hey as long as their bank balances are bulging who cares.

You’d like us to be that a faceless,soulless boring machine spending shit loads of cash on mercenary bang average players that couldn’t give a toss about Tottenham Hotspur,the club,the history or the fans but hey as long as their bank balances are bulging who cares.

I'd like the playing field to be level. That's for sure.

I'd like the playing field to be level. That's for sure.

That’s it in a nutshell for me.

As it stands, football in England is tipped heavily in favour of the Sheik Mansour team. In theory Chelsea are up there too, but things are a bit murky with Abramovich being an exiled mobster.

Then you have more traditional giants like United and Liverpool who whilst not having unlimited cash, still have a lot of financial clout and large fan bases. Woolwich certainly throw money around (mainly on wages), but lost their way under Wenger. The stadium impacted them quite a bit too. As much as I dislike them, they’re probably the closest to us in terms of trying to push to the next level without simply spending 100s of millions on players.

We’ve gone about things in the only way we can. We’ve sorted the infrastructure with our training ground, have invested in an incredible new stadium, and have started to raise our wages accordingly. Yes it would be great if Lewis had a senior moment and decided to spend £200m on a handful of star players, but it needs to be sustainable too.

The big problem is that the Sheik Mansour team have infinite pockets, so the second the chasing pack get too close they can quite easily add an extra £200k on the weekly salaries of their players. Even United pay Lingard more than anything our players get (I think...not sure if Kane is now on more).

I just want a level playing field at the top. Whether that means a cap that brings the mega rich clubs closer to the rest, or if a new owner lets us establish parity with the richest, I don’t really mind. Obviously that still excludes others, but in an ideal world we’d have 8-10 clubs paying similar wages and transfer fees, and it would be down to the choice of players and managers that would determine how successful they would be.

One thing I don’t ever want to see is us simply blowing away all opposition by outspending everyone else. There’s no glory or pride in that. The Sheik Mansour team haven’t achieved anything, and deep down their fans know that. They’re the equivalent of someone spending a fortune on prostitutes, then bragging about being some sort of irresistible Casanova.

We all enjoyed matches where we beat was it milwall or wycombe 6-0. Just that goals against crappy teams dont really matter much.

Yet we struggled in many of those lowly cup ties in recent years more than we did slaughtering Stoke or similar. Topically, a Sonny hatrick saved us embarrassment in one if I'm not mistaken.

Funny ol' game as a legend once said. :)

I wasnt talking about Mane or liverpool's front 3. Just that if our wingers kept getting 15 league goals a season every year, Id be delighted.

Apologies if not, I must be blurring multiple threads in my head... I guess all my point is I believe our boys are good enough... The spread of game-time between our 5 AMs is the current caveat to that (whereas 2016/2017 was all but exclusively the same 2 or 3 of CE/DE/Son depending on 2 or 3CBs).

Theres no attitude and no rejection of your post. Maybe you read it that way. Now imagine all these words as if someone is shouting out loud in anger. You will end up thinking I am shouting in anger. Just read them as ..normal words..in a normal tone. Seya in the match thread! :love:

S'cool man.... I didn't mean towards me, more you seemed to lack enthusiasm for the lads achievements in that department... Your reply explains where I was mistake.... Now I've been "mooted". :eriksenlol:

Back
Top Bottom