Come here to laugh at the Fascist, Failing Chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OV0cjAa.jpg

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF
Hope so. Last 30 years they have spent beyond their means.

Looks like Chelsea have huge problems of their own making.

Boehly and his mates have spent huge amounts of money (£500m - £600m) since he took over Chelsea I understand) on players - generally paying well over their worth, maybe 2 or even 3 times their worth, getting players not good enough atm for a top half of the table PL club and giving hem huge wages as well.

At some stage they will have to face the financial problems :
1 To write down the cost of the squad, giving them maybe a one off £300m cost
2 The players are not saleable on their current contracts due to the high wages they are on - nobody else will pay that level of wage, and to make matters worse many of them were put on EIGHT year contracts. So to move the players on Chelsea will probably need to subsidise the wages for maybe the 7 years remaining on their wages
3 To make matters worse they have something like 35 players in their first team squad - TEN more than can be fitted in a 25 man squad (although a couple may be u21's atm), so he's got to sell players anyway

So whilst Boehly may decide to sack manager Graham Potter, that doesn't make the squad issues go away - Boehly is going to have to try to deal with them as best he can over the summer as ironically he needs to buy a few better player for any incoming manager .......

I'm not sure Boehly himself can survive this - his investors are looking at huge losses on their investment I think ...... just when they need to raise more money to build their stadium which might take 5 years or so ....

Boehly and his mates have spent huge amounts of money (£500m - £600m) since he took over Chelsea I understand) on players - generally paying well over their worth, maybe 2 or even 3 times their worth, getting players not good enough atm for a top half of the table PL club and giving hem huge wages as well.

2 The players are not saleable on their current contracts due to the high wages they are on - nobody else will pay that level of wage, and to make matters worse many of them were put on EIGHT year contracts. So to move the players on Chelsea will probably need to subsidise the wages for maybe the 7 years remaining on their wages
3 To make matters worse they have something like 35 players in their first team squad - TEN more than can be fitted in a 25 man squad (although a couple may be u21's atm), so he's got to sell players anyway

So whilst Boehly may decide to sack manager Graham Potter, that doesn't make the squad issues go away - Boehly is going to have to try to deal with them as best he can over the summer as ironically he needs to buy a few better player for any incoming manager .......

I'm not sure Boehly himself can survive this - his investors are looking at huge losses on their investment I think ...... just when they need to raise more money to build their stadium which might take 5 years or so ....
Breaks your fucking heart dont it.

They bought a bunch of young players and a young manager for a project. Be nonsense to sack him in less than a year .
All they need do is look at Woolwich and all the inconsistent rubbish they had to deal with under arteta

They bought a bunch of young players and a young manager for a project. Be nonsense to sack him in less than a year .
All they need do is look at Woolwich and all the inconsistent rubbish they had to deal with under arteta
Well im buying every bucket i can find to corner the market just in case it comes to a whip round before the game to save them again.
Fuck them . I hope they die a long and financial painful death that sees them.in the lower reaches of hackney marshes on a shite sunday morning.

And even in there best days off the pitch they could never get near us ..

Cunt of a club and fanbase.

It was a nonsense to sack Tuchel in the first place
but let them sack Potter too, at least we can laught a bit in this season

Let’s hope they are well and truly fucked , they deserve everything coming their way . Karma is a wonderful thing

This was my initial thought as well. But as much as I would love you to be right, I cannot possible imagine they're dumb enough to take on that liability without a fail safe of sorts. The length of those contracts was with a view towards amortisation, not towards - necessarily - tying down the players for that long.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they've done something beyond year 4 or 5, which would be a more common contract length. Along the lines of the player's wages dropping off steeply, if they haven't played a set number of matches in those 4 to 5 years. With a concession the other way around with a cheap release clause. Plus a big loyalty bonus if they do indeed play that number of matches (and the club meets certain goals). Still a potentially expensive gamble, but not to the same tune, and - unfortunately - it's not as insane and reckless as it would seem at first glance.

This was my initial thought as well. But as much as I would love you to be right, I cannot possible imagine they're dumb enough to take on that liability without a fail safe of sorts. The length of those contracts was with a view towards amortisation, not towards - necessarily - tying down the players for that long.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they've done something beyond year 4 or 5, which would be a more common contract length. Along the lines of the player's wages dropping off steeply, if they haven't played a set number of matches in those 4 to 5 years. With a concession the other way around with a cheap release clause. Plus a big loyalty bonus if they do indeed play that number of matches (and the club meets certain goals). Still a potentially expensive gamble, but not to the same tune, and - unfortunately - it's not as insane and reckless as it would seem at first glance.

Anything is possible, but it still gives Chelsea very heavy wages in the first say 4 years of the contract.

And to move club they would still want to see heavy bonuses built into the contract with the new club in years 5 onward - or demand Chelsea pay up at least a proportion of the bonuses. So it'll still be expensive to move them on , and Chelsea still stuck with paying out say 3 years of wages above the 'norm' for the level of player which might be say £100k pw excess or £5m pa for 4 years so £20m .

And given that Chelsea have 35 players it could easily be 5 or 10 players they need to move on so £100m or £200m in excess wage payments to move them on...... which is no small number and then buy new players !

Anything is possible, but it still gives Chelsea very heavy wages in the first say 4 years of the contract.

And to move club they would still want to see heavy bonuses built into the contract with the new club in years 5 onward - or demand Chelsea pay up at least a proportion of the bonuses. So it'll still be expensive to move them on , and Chelsea still stuck with paying out say 3 years of wages above the 'norm' for the level of player which might be say £100k pw excess or £5m pa for 4 years so £20m .

And given that Chelsea have 35 players it could easily be 5 or 10 players they need to move on so £100m or £200m in excess wage payments to move them on...... which is no small number and then buy new players !

Should have said....I agree with your overall point. They are stretching it.

I just feel that it's more of a calculated risk, rather than the straight up insanity gamble, which it's my impression most think it is. Both with transfer fees and contracts.

Let's not forget, it's not very long ago at all, that we were all certain that they were going bust.

Back
Top Bottom