Come here to laugh at the Geordies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe all that botox has frozen her brain cells. I'd like to see some journalists question her about this and ask her to justify those comments.

Give her a rope to hang herself with..

Maybe all that botox has frozen her brain cells. I'd like to see some journalists question her about this and ask her to justify those comments.

Give her a rope to hang herself with..

I'm not sure she's particularly bright.....

She needlessly dragged Nu-castle's name into it all and then nearly flubbed into associating them with P.I.F. too. Not to mention how completely tone deaf it was to sympathise with RA.

All she needed to say was "Id' rather not talk about Chelsea; what's important now is the well-being of the Ukraine people".

Not for a second gonna blame Eddie Howe who was out of work for years for taking that opportunity. Pretty sure 99% of managers would, it's a huge opportunity to earn shitloads whilst massively upping his own profile and having a shot at heading a squad revolution at Newcastle.

I could post this in the Chavs and Man C threads as well - I want success for us as much as any Spurs supporter, but not at any price. The PL need to be more stringent in their due diligence, but we all know they are more corrupt than the regimes taking over clubs.

Not for a second gonna blame Eddie Howe who was out of work for years for taking that opportunity.

14 months; having turned down a number of jobs (including Celtic) in the interim.

Pretty sure 99% of managers would, it's a huge opportunity to earn shitloads whilst massively upping his own profile and having a shot at heading a squad revolution at Newcastle.

Mate; they were being turned down left right and center... That's how the offer came Howe's way to begin with.

14 months; having turned down a number of jobs (including Celtic) in the interim.

Mate; they were being turned down left right and center... That's how the offer came Howe's way to begin with.

Big PL job with almost unlimited funds>>>>>Celtic

Sure, top tier managers weren't about to take it. But for someone with Howe's profile (great lower league manager, decent for Bournemouth for a while before relegation) this is a chance to get his career to the next level. Don't blame him for taking it at all.

Big PL job with almost unlimited funds>>>>>Celtic

That's beside the point being made; which is that a) he wasn't out "for years" and b) was on sabbatical by choice (iirc when he left B'mouth he spoke of needing time away as he'd been there for 8 year and subsequently started studying "other coaching methods" at other clubs).

Lastly there was no Newcastle takeover at the time he was turning down jobs last the summer.

The guy had been talked of as a future England manager for a number of years. He wasn't some desperate guy on the scrap-heap like your OG post suggests.

Sure, top tier managers weren't about to take it. But for someone with Howe's profile (great lower league manager, decent for Bournemouth for a while before relegation) this is a chance to get his career to the next level. Don't blame him for taking it at all.

We're not talking "top tier" managers though... The biggest name I recall being linked was Emre (Fonsecca was another) who had become seen as a bit of a joke here following his time with the scum.

It's funny how short people's memories can be..... At the time Howe took this job, it was commonly spoken of as a poisoned chalice and that the true opportunity would come to whoever came in after the 1st new gaffa of the Saudi era.

Just a few months back Howe was seen as unwise to have put himself into the role of the fall guy and that the "next level" was never genuinely on the menu for him at Nu-castle and that he'd been foolish in taking a job that was a no-win situation.

That's beside the point being made; which is that a) he wasn't out "for years" and b) was on sabbatical by choice (iirc when he left B'mouth he spoke of needing time away as he'd been there for 8 year and subsequently started studying "other coaching methods" at other clubs).

Lastly there was no Newcastle takeover at the time he was turning down jobs last the summer.

The guy had been talked of as a future England manager for a number of years. He wasn't some desperate guy on the scrap-heap like your OG post suggests.

We're not talking "top tier" managers though... The biggest name I recall being linked was Emre (Fonsecca was another) who had become seen as a bit of a joke here following his time with the scum.

It's funny how short people's memories can be..... At the time Howe took this job, it was commonly spoken of as a poisoned chalice and that the true opportunity would come to whoever came in after the 1st new gaffa of the Saudi era.

Just a few months back Howe was seen as unwise to have put himself into the role of the fall guy and that the "next level" was never genuinely on the menu for him at Nu-castle and that he'd been foolish in taking a job that was a no-win situation.

He was out of management for a solid period of time. It may have been by choice but a young manager with his CV (it isn't sparkling) cant afford to spend too long mulling over or rejecting PL jobs, they won't come around all too regularly. He had his time off and a big job came up, seems hard to reject to me.

He was, but wasn't gonna get close to it post relegation. I imagine the tier of clubs looking at him was pretty low, i.e bottom half low spending teams or Scottish League.

These names are bigger than Howe, significantly so. Only last year Emery won a EL title.

I never said any of that though. I certainly thought it's going to be hard for a while to establish themselves, and still do, but a manager with ambition is looking at silly funds to build a squad, a high wage himself, and exposure. Even if he gets it top half and then moves aside for a high rep manager, his own reputation will have risen.

I bet his own earnings dwarf what he made at Bournemouth, or would make at Celtic, or any of the clubs interested previously. Not gonna blame the man for taking that money and the chance at a very exciting project.

He was out of management for a solid period of time. It may have been by choice but a young manager with his CV (it isn't sparkling) cant afford to spend too long mulling over or rejecting PL jobs, they won't come around all too regularly. He had his time off and a big job came up, seems hard to reject to me.

He was, but wasn't gonna get close to it post relegation. I imagine the tier of clubs looking at him was pretty low, i.e bottom half low spending teams or Scottish League.

These names are bigger than Howe, significantly so. Only last year Emery won a EL title.

I never said any of that though. I certainly thought it's going to be hard for a while to establish themselves, and still do, but a manager with ambition is looking at silly funds to build a squad, a high wage himself, and exposure. Even if he gets it top half and then moves aside for a high rep manager, his own reputation will have risen.

I bet his own earnings dwarf what he made at Bournemouth, or would make at Celtic, or any of the clubs interested previously. Not gonna blame the man for taking that money and the chance at a very exciting project.

Mate, he's a millionaire..... What does money buy above all else? Choices......

It's a simple case of money vs principals?

Plenty of people less well off than him turn down jobs for ethical reasons all the time; why should he get a pass?

His family weren't about to starve if he chose the latter.

If he's gonna sit there with that indignant look on his face any time someone questions his choice of employer in light of the atrocities they perpetuate then fuck him..... He's a willing part of the sports washing process.

Last edited:
Mate, he's a millionaire..... What does money buy above all else? Choices......

It's a simple case of money vs principals?

Plenty of people less well off than him turn down jobs for ethical reasons all the time; why should he get a pass?

His family weren't about to starve if he chose the latter.

If he's gonna sit there with that indignant look on his face any time someone questions his choice of employer in light of the atrocities they perpetuate then fuck him..... He's a willing part of the sports washing process.

We all hate Pochettino too? He had far more options than Howe and now he works for PSG. Football managers are in an industry where very few owners (of big clubs) are ethical. You're either working for some tax dodging, ruthless billionaire who has exploited people for money, an oligarch, or some dodgy foreign state. Or you stay in the lower leagues.

A top manager coming in to the PL would have to reject 2 of the top 4 jobs. They're football managers, not politicians. They take jobs that suit what benefits their family and career most, like 99% of people. Not gonna sit here in judgement of guys that manage football teams. Good on Howe. Like what he did at Bournemouth, seems a likable bloke and his career is doing well. Only thing I'm annoyed at is another club probably surpassing us.

We all hate Pochettino too? He had far more options than Howe and now he works for PSG. Football managers are in an industry where very few owners (of big clubs) are ethical. You're either working for some tax dodging, ruthless billionaire who has exploited people for money, an oligarch, or some dodgy foreign state. Or you stay in the lower leagues.

1. I'm speaking for myself, no-ones else.
2. I've not used the word hate.
3. Yes, I do question the ethical decision he made working for those scumbags (which is fundamentally why I can't rally behind him like some currently do).

....and much like the multiple previous discussions:

Tax dodging >>>>>> Murder, oppression and persecution. (There are levels and lines must be drawn)

The game would be better off without the doping from sportswashed money.

....Someone would still have to manage the worlds best players regardless.

A top manager coming in to the PL would have to reject 2 of the top 4 jobs. They're football managers, not politicians. They take jobs that suit what benefits their family and career most, like 99% of people. Not gonna sit here in judgement of guys that manage football teams.

I'm not about to switch off my ethical concerns just cos these guys are in the football industry.... They have far more luxury of choice than most of us.

Good on Howe. Like what he did at Bournemouth, seems a likable bloke and his career is doing well. Only thing I'm annoyed at is another club probably surpassing us.

You don't see the conflict of interest between this and commending abramovic for (ahem) 'generosity' a day or two ago?

You don't think millionaire players and managers willingness to work for such regimes is a key component to them being able to sportswash their money and distort the entire sense of competition within the game.......?

Last edited:
1. I'm speaking for myself, no-ones else.
2. I've not used the word hate.
3. Yes, I do question the ethical decision he made working for those scumbags.

....and much like the multiple previous discussions:

Tax dodging >>>>>> Murder, oppression and persecution. (There are levels and lines must be drawn)

The game would be better off without the doping from sportswashed money.

....Someone would still have to manage the worlds best players regardless.

I'm not about to switch off my ethical concerns just cos these guys are in the football industry.... They have far more luxury of choice than most of us.

You don't see the conflict of interest between this and commending abramovic for (ahem) 'generosity' a day or two ago?

You don't think millionaire players and managers willingness to work for such regimes is a key component to them being able to sportswash their money and distort the entire sense of competition within the game.......?

I think that they're in an industry where dirty money pollutes every aspect of the game, and are correctly trying to stay out of the political side of it and focus on football. They aren't politicians and it isn't their job to cast moral judgement, they are there to manage football clubs. If you see it differently that's fine, but I find the asking football managers questions about ownership in press conferences really tiresome, especially when it's repetitive and they know the manager will say nothing and isn't involved in that side of things.

When it comes to football I switch off most ethical concerns. Its sport and I treat it as such. Fair enough if you see it differently, but I don't know how you coped when we sell Walker to City, or the next time we sell to an oil club. The chances of a sports washer taking over the club at some point are pretty good, or at least us being involved in that. This is the modern game now. Everyone has their hands all over the dirty money, whether that's some level of investment, direct ownership, or doing business and legitimising them.

Back
Top Bottom